Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 07-26-2015, 11:30 AM   #1
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 11/X/6/iPad 1,2,Air & Air Pro/Surface Pro/Kindle PW & Fire
Sort a Search?

Hi Y'all,

I've successfully tweaked Calibre so that it will sort by Author, Series, Title when it first opens. After performing various library management functions I would like it to go back to that default sort without having to re-open Calibre. I realize I could click on title, then click on series, then click on author (column heads) to get this to happen, but that gets tedious when you need to do it multiple times per session.

I couldn't find a preferences setting to add a button for "default sort", so I thought I might be able to save a search. If I search for title="*" and then have my default sort order applied to that search, then it could work (if I can use * for a wildcard).

Does anyone know if it is possible to apply a default sort to a search...or is there a much easier way to reapply my default sort that I'm just not seeing?

Thanks!
Turtle91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 12:13 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtle91 View Post
Hi Y'all,

I've successfully tweaked Calibre so that it will sort by Author, Series, Title when it first opens. After performing various library management functions I would like it to go back to that default sort without having to re-open Calibre. I realize I could click on title, then click on series, then click on author (column heads) to get this to happen, but that gets tedious when you need to do it multiple times per session.

I couldn't find a preferences setting to add a button for "default sort", so I thought I might be able to save a search. If I search for title="*" and then have my default sort order applied to that search, then it could work (if I can use * for a wildcard).

Does anyone know if it is possible to apply a default sort to a search...or is there a much easier way to reapply my default sort that I'm just not seeing?

Thanks!
You are asking for the same thing I did a few months ago: A natural order sort (date added). Kovid mentioned that this is the same as the {Date} (a timestamp).
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-26-2015, 01:07 PM   #3
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:

Thanks!
I believe the view manager plugin can do what you want, easily reapply a complex sort.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 03:45 PM   #4
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaley View Post
I believe the view manager plugin can do what you want, easily reapply a complex sort.
Thanks Chaley!
That indeed worked perfectly.
Old 07-26-2015, 03:53 PM   #5
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
You are asking for the same thing I did a few months ago: A natural order sort (date added). Kovid mentioned that this is the same as the {Date} (a timestamp).
Yes, I display the date column and can select the column header to put the most recent additions at the top. That makes it easy to know which ones I'm working on!

After doing those various functions I wanted to go back to my default (Author, Series, Title) sort. The View Manager plugin does help. It now only takes 2 clicks instead of 3 to get the sort...but it has other useful options as well.

It would be nice if there was a single configurable button that would reset the view/sort to the default that Calibre displays upon opening.

Cheers,
Advert
Old 07-27-2015, 02:52 AM   #6
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
It would be nice if there was a single configurable button that would reset the view/sort to the default that Calibre displays upon opening.
Not sure that calibre has a 'fixed' default layout once custom columns are in play. Whatever you setup in Look and Feel->Book Details defines what columns are shown and their horizontal juxtaposition. You can define a starting VL in Preferences->Behaviour. And AFAIK sort order is whatever it was when calibre last terminated.

I always start in the View Manager default View (which in respect of columns happens to be the same as Look & Feel->Book Details), it has its keyboard shortcut set to ctrl+alt+1, so its easy to get back to. Other Views are ctrl+alt+2, ctrl+alt+3 etc. I always start in a specific VL (Prefs->Behav). And I always start, via command argument, in a specific physical library.

I prefer a clean state approach, rather than wherever I was last time. Same with browser and file manager etc.

BR
BetterRed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 09:50 AM   #7
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
BR
Native Calibre does not remember sorts between sessions.

Turtle91 uses the Tweak to set a pre-defined start sort (I don't remember seeing a prohibition on custom column names, but there probably should be since the setting is not PER/Library)
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 05:21 PM   #8
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
BR
Native Calibre does not remember sorts between sessions.

Turtle91 uses the Tweak to set a pre-defined start sort (I don't remember seeing a prohibition on custom column names, but there probably should be since the setting is not PER/Library)
That's another reason why I use View Manager, it was one of the first PIs I installed - maybe the actual first.
BetterRed is online now   Reply With Quote