Notices

Old 07-27-2012, 11:06 AM   #1
arslonga
Connoisseur
arslonga began at the beginning.

Device: none
about the K4NT 4.1.0 update

Good evening.

I have been following the debate about the pros and cons of updating the K4NT firmware to 4.1.0.

I was wondering if those of you who installed the update noticed any significant improvement when viewing PDF files. I am concerned because apparently there is no way to revert to the previous firmware once the update is installed, other than by jailbreaking the Kindle.

Thank you.
arslonga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 11:28 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
The "biggie" is that it gets you KF8 support.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-27-2012, 11:57 AM   #3
Ubermensch
Connoisseur
Ubermensch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ubermensch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ubermensch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ubermensch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ubermensch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ubermensch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ubermensch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ubermensch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ubermensch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ubermensch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ubermensch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR
What are the cons?
Ubermensch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 11:59 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Some people dislike the fact that "Turn off Wireless" has been renamed "Airplane Mode" and moved off the menu that's available when reading a book (ie, you have to return to the Home screen to turn wireless on and off).
Old 07-28-2012, 12:08 AM   #5
haydnfan
Guru
haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 4, Oasis 2
And don't forget the line height bug. All of that white space and that extra small font.
haydnfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-28-2012, 02:14 AM   #6
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
For me it's the Airplane mode. You have to go to:
Home\Menu\Settings to turn it on. Turning on Airplane mode is another word for turning off Wireless. You can't do this in a book or from the homepage but you can turn Airplane off from there.

It makes no sense.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 02:15 AM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by haydnfan View Post
And don't forget the line height bug. All of that white space and that extra small font.
Hardly a big deal, IMHO. I don't find the line spacing objectionable personally, but if you do, just change the spacing option from "wide" to "medium".
Old 07-28-2012, 02:18 AM   #8
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Hardly a big deal, IMHO. I don't find the line spacing objectionable personally, but if you do, just change the spacing option from "wide" to "medium".
Doesn't work on the K4. You can't change line spacing or margins in a KF8. At least on the ones I own.
Old 07-28-2012, 02:21 AM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

That's strange. On the Touch you can, and I thought the settings features were the same on the K4.
Old 07-28-2012, 02:26 AM   #10
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
That's strange. On the Touch you can, and I thought the settings features were the same on the K4.
I click the settings but it doesn't do anything. It's the same way on the Kindle Fire. It also forces you to use the publisher's font.
Old 07-28-2012, 02:36 AM   #11
ThomasC
Thunder Down Under
ThomasC is faster than slow light.ThomasC is faster than slow light.ThomasC is faster than slow light.ThomasC is faster than slow light.ThomasC is faster than slow light.ThomasC is faster than slow light.ThomasC is faster than slow light.ThomasC is faster than slow light.ThomasC is faster than slow light.ThomasC is faster than slow light.ThomasC is faster than slow light.

Device: kindle dxg, K3, K4nt, iPhone
Blossom, does the caliber collections plugin allow you to over ride kf8 publishers fonts on your k4nt?
ThomasC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 02:48 AM   #12
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasC View Post
Blossom, does the caliber collections plugin allow you to over ride kf8 publishers fonts on your k4nt?
Nope it doesn't. The only way to do that is to remove DRM and put it in Calibre and reconvert.
Old 07-28-2012, 02:53 AM   #13
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
I click the settings but it doesn't do anything. It's the same way on the Kindle Fire. It also forces you to use the publisher's font.
I'm currently reading a KF8 book on my Touch - Bill Bryson's "The Lost Continent". It shows in Calibre as "AZW3", which means it's KF8, right? The Touch definitely lets me change its line spacing.
Old 07-28-2012, 02:59 AM   #14
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
I'm currently reading a KF8 book on my Touch - Bill Bryson's "The Lost Continent". It shows in Calibre as "AZW3", which means it's KF8, right? The Touch definitely lets me change its line spacing.
Right. I don't have a touch but a K4 and Kindle Fire that allows KF8. I can't change anything but font size.
Old 07-28-2012, 05:24 AM   #15
andreabc
Zealot
andreabc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andreabc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andreabc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andreabc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andreabc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andreabc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andreabc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andreabc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andreabc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andreabc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andreabc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle (4th gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
Doesn't work on the K4. You can't change line spacing or margins in a KF8. At least on the ones I own.
I checked with a couple of books on KF8 (I also have a K4NT) and I can change the line spacing, but not the margins.
andreabc is offline   Reply With Quote