Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 12-02-2007, 01:22 PM   #1
thegrendel
thegrendel began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-500
Alternative to e-ink?

www.kentdisplays.com

Don't know if anyone has brought this up before. . . .

LCD technology, very low power consumption (image retention without power consumption, just like e-ink), very high contrast ratio, etc.

If Phillips and the e-ink manufacturers don't get off their butts, they may find a competitor here.
thegrendel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007, 03:04 PM   #2
kezza
Lowlife of the Party
kezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura about

Device: nook, iphone
Throughout the website they put "no power" in quotes. A tactic that makes me think that actually it uses a very small amount of power that the manufacturer has deemed negligible but for legal reasons can't claim is truly zero. Thus "no power" can never be stated as fact, hence the quotes. Also, I don't see mention of the pixel density, nor are there very many pictures of the displays themselves. I suspect that e-ink is the technology of choice for a reason at this point, though the Kent LCD seems promising as an alternative, assuming the claims are true.
kezza is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-02-2007, 08:37 PM   #3
Barcey
Wizard
Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O / Aura HD / Glo / iPad3
Qualcomm has a document comparing the various technologies. It has a table on page 18 that compares the ChLCD to EPD (E-Ink). According to the table the screen refresh is twice as slow as E-Ink. If they can overcome this it looks like it could be a competitor.

http://www.qualcomm.com/technology/i...hite_Paper.pdf
Barcey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007, 08:42 PM   #4
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
I would be very surprised if it is as easy on my eyes as e-ink is on my eyes. Currently the eBookwise uses an older form of LCD technology and produces a very affordable ($125) ebook reader. It addresses the major complaint against e-ink, it has backlighting and can be read in low light situations. Even with that as an option I still choose the Sony for the clarity of the screen and the ease of reading.
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007, 11:09 PM   #5
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
I think this is the stuff the put on a few flash drives (no, not the Lexar ones that use e-ink, some other ones). I ran across one in Fry's a year or so ago and was rather unimpressed. The color is good, nearly as my slightly color-blind eyes can tell, but the background was a similar gray to an old LCD watch, except that it was a little ... sparkley. I don't know how else to describe it: it appeared to have facets and sparkle like glitter, but pretty muted. On the whole, not all that great a reading medium.

Now that was a year or so ago, and I'm not entirely sure it was the same stuff (pretty sure, but not entirely), and who knows where they might be after a year, so salt that to taste.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-21-2008, 11:43 AM   #6
SpiderMatt
Grand Arbiter
SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPod Touch, Amazon Kindle, Motorola Droid
I would love a good LCD reader. The advantages of having a color display backlighting can be important to me, depending what/where I'm reading (color is usually less of an issue). The two reasons I've prefered e-ink is the battery life and direct sunlight. If this technology has, for all intents and purposes, cured those ailments, then I'd love to get a device with one of these screens.

Anyone know what device this person is reading on? I think it's funny that the person seems to be reading Order of the Phoenix when none of the Harry Potter books have been officially released as ebooks.
SpiderMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 01:03 PM   #7
spooky69
Stats:
spooky69 can extract oil from cheesespooky69 can extract oil from cheesespooky69 can extract oil from cheesespooky69 can extract oil from cheesespooky69 can extract oil from cheesespooky69 can extract oil from cheesespooky69 can extract oil from cheesespooky69 can extract oil from cheesespooky69 can extract oil from cheese

Device: Sony PRS-505
I was going to ask if this would have the same problem with decreased contrast while viewing it from an angle, but I found this on the "Wide Viewing Angle" page:
Quote:
Though the contrast ratio is reduced uniformly in all azimuthal directions as the viewing angle approaches the plane of the display, it is still excellent. Seeing is believing.
Hmm...
You could extrapolate from their unlabeled graph that the contrast is reduced by up to 70% depending on the viewing angle, and probably isn't going to look very good at a 45-degree incline. Despite that, the backlighting and the (presumed) reduced price of the display would make this a more a much more accessible product for a lot of people who want an e-book reader but don't want to be out a few hundred dollars.
spooky69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 05:03 PM   #8
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiderMatt View Post
Anyone know what device this person is reading on?
I'd guess it's a prototype that Kent Displays has put together to proof the concept. But that's just a guess.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote