Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 03-17-2011, 04:57 PM   #1
mama_twinkie
mama_twinkie began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505
time for an upgrade! what to buy?

Hi All,

So my Sony PRS-505 is on its last legs (battery-wise), and it gives me an excuse to buy a new eReader. Unfortunately, I'm stuck as to which one to get.

The "logical" choice is for me to get a PRS-650....except for the fact that it's hard to find and seems to mostly be only available in red (and I'm not really that fond of that color. Heck, I'm not even that fond of the black). So, I tried out the PRS-350...and it's just a bit too small. The PRS-950 is just a bit too big (I have small hands). I looked at the Kindle...and it feels a bit too flimsy. I don't really want the Nook (I prefer the e-ink and longer battery life).

Give my preferences...are there any other options out there for me? Should I just get past the aesthetics and get the PRS-650? Or have you found that you "adapted" to having a larger/smaller Reader?

Thanks!
mama_twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 05:13 PM   #2
Pomtroll
Guru
Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, Sony T1, Kindle Touch, Kindle PW1
If you can find one go with the 650 & put a skin on it. Otherwise I have both the Kindle3 & Nook Classic & have no trouble reading from the prs 350. I also have small hands.
Pomtroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-17-2011, 06:08 PM   #3
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
The 650 with a skin sounds like a great suggestion. I don't care for the silver housing of the 950 and am much happier with a DecalGirl skin applied. I have petite hands too. I have both the 350 and 950. I found that it was easier than anticipated to adapt to the smaller screen. I have the Sony lighted cover for my 350 which I really like with it. I love the 7" screen on the 950. My 950 and K3 are very similar in dimensions since the K3 has the keyboard. The 950 is also lightweight so it is comfortable for me to hold for long reading sessions.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 11:14 PM   #4
mama_twinkie
mama_twinkie began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505
Hmmm...I may have to go give the 950 another try. The whole discussion around lack of availability vs discontinuing the 650 have me a little bit nervous.

Thanks for the suggestion on the skin! I didn't even think of that! It looks like SonyStyle has the red one in stock so maybe I'll go with that if I can't come to terms with the 950....
mama_twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 02:06 PM   #5
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
Much of the speculation around the 650 is that there may be a Wi-fi version coming in a few months. That's just speculation so who really knows, but I think it would be a smart move by Sony.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert