Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 11-18-2010, 12:27 PM   #16
natasha_fawn
Evangelist
natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Sony PRS-950 (finally!)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookworm_Girl View Post
Natasha, thanks for sharing the link for the Kindle frankencover. Very interesting! Let us know what you ultimately decide to do. Bet you thought selecting which cover design you wanted would be the hardest part of your decision!
Oh, I will. I've emailed Oberon to ask if there are any stores nearby selling their stuff, thinking maybe I'll go buy and pet, er, check out the journals to see how heavy they feel. I was going to pick up a Sony cover from Best Buy and to try it out, but they didn't have any.

Quote:
Originally Posted by remesh View Post
Any comments on this M-edge Kindle 2 cover. Will it fit SONY PRS-950?

http://www.medgestore.com/products/kindle2-platform.psp

Any potential issues?
Based on Bookworm_Girl's review of the Oberon kindle 2 cover, which has a similar strap mechanism, I would guess it might work, but I'm afraid I don't really know anything about the size of the m-edge covers.
natasha_fawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 12:49 PM   #17
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by remesh View Post
Any comments on this M-edge Kindle 2 cover. Will it fit SONY PRS-950?
http://www.medgestore.com/products/kindle2-platform.psp
Any potential issues?
Remesh, I think it's a tough call. I suppose if it were too loose you could use Velcro to attach the back of the reader. I read a post that someone is using an M-Edge Latitude case for the Nook. They said the elastic straps are tight but that it is an ok solution. I think that M-Edge will probably come out with covers for the new Sony models (eventually, I hope).
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-19-2010, 03:17 AM   #18
OddsRatio
OddsRatio began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-950
I was wondering what you all thought of this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Multi-View-Faux-...item588a245088

I'm not sure how it will fit the 950, because it was made for the 900, which is longer. I can't find reliable specs for the 950- on the sony style website it is printed as having the exact same dimensions as the 900. The fit looks like it might work better than the ones by m-edge, because it's built like a pocket rather than having the reader held in by corner straps.

I think it's kind of ugly, but it's functional, which is more important. Thoughts on this or Tuff Luv in general?

Last edited by OddsRatio; 11-19-2010 at 03:20 AM.
OddsRatio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 07:59 AM   #19
grissley
Enthusiast
grissley has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.grissley has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.grissley has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.grissley has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: PRS-950sc
I am almost decided to go for 950 and now just looking at the covers.
I saw the Kindle3 lighted cover and it was just great. Now I am checking the sony dedicated covers and it seems that the lighted one is not such nice like the K3 one.
I mean, in Kindle3, lighted cover is exactly the same size like the non-lighted one.
In Sony, the difference in size is quite significant: 1,06"x10,39"x6,53" vs 0,75"x9,45"x5,51". It is one inch of a difference on each dimension
Neither in the specification of the lighted cover there is stated it is bendable (as it is in case of non-lighted).
Is the lighted one worth buying? I was almost sure I'd buy CL95B, but now I start thinking that SC95B would be a better choice...

EDIT Just noticed the dimensions on SonyStyle are wrong. Anyhow, still, the cl95 is ~1" wider than sc95 and, probably, not bendable(?)...

Last edited by grissley; 11-19-2010 at 08:55 AM.
grissley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 08:58 AM   #20
trekchick
Lurker
trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.

Device: Sonys and Kindles and Nooks, oh my!
Quote:
Originally Posted by grissley View Post
In Sony, the difference in size is quite significant: 1,06"x10,39"x6,53" vs 0,75"x9,45"x5,51". It is one inch of a difference on each dimension
Neither in the specification of the lighted cover there is stated it is bendable (as it is in case of non-lighted).
I have the lighted case for my 350, and the cover easily folds back for reading. The extra inch in the Sony cover is for the light. The Kindle 3's light slides out of its thick back cover, so it doesn't take up any extra space inside. I had a K3 lighted case and it was a disappointment (uneven coverage and no way to reposition the light to compensate). Sony's version isn't as sleek, but it's more functional. The only thing holding me back from getting the lighted case for my 950 is the lack of color choice. If I'm going to spend that much, I want something I like a lot, and a plain, black case isn't very thrilling.

I'll probably break down and buy Sony's case, but for now, I'm using an old Kindle 2 M-Edge Latitude that I had in my closet. It's OK, but not great. I tried the Nook version at Best Buy and it fits better than the one made for Kindle 2. If I didn't already have the K2 case, I'd buy the one for Nook. Best Buy also had two Swiss Army/Wenger sleeves for Nook/Kindle 3 - nice cases, but they are, unfortunately, too short for the 950.
trekchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-19-2010, 05:04 PM   #21
wn0x
wn0x has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.wn0x has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.wn0x has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.wn0x has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-505
I purchased the Sony non-lighted cover with my 950.

Dimensions are: 8 1/16" tall, 5 1/4" wide, 5/8" deep.
wn0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 12:36 PM   #22
Tieton
Tieton began at the beginning.

Device: Sony
So: I can't assume that any Kindle 2 case, with elastic straps, will work with a 950? e.g. M-Edge's Platform?
Tieton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 11:19 AM   #23
eriksnoopy
Connoisseur
eriksnoopy is a splendid one to beholderiksnoopy is a splendid one to beholderiksnoopy is a splendid one to beholderiksnoopy is a splendid one to beholderiksnoopy is a splendid one to beholderiksnoopy is a splendid one to beholderiksnoopy is a splendid one to beholderiksnoopy is a splendid one to beholderiksnoopy is a splendid one to beholderiksnoopy is a splendid one to beholderiksnoopy is a splendid one to behold

Device: Sony PRS-950 (broken screen) kobo aura hd
Has anyone tried both the lighted sony cover and the one without the light? Whats your opinion/advice?
the light would be useful at times, but at home i dont really need it, and with the improved contrast it shouldn't be a problem to read in normal conditions without the light. Is the extra size remarkable?
eriksnoopy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 09:41 AM   #24
srb12
srb12 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony prs 950
I bought the m-edge platform case for nook for my sony prs 950 daily edition since there are apparently no after-market cases available for it yet, it was available for immediate purchase at Best Buy, and it holds it very securely. The only case made I could find for the prs 950 (by Sony)is like a journal/book (opens to left) and got some bad reviews for the plastic pieces holding in breaking in short time (it also only came in black). Although I did get a coupon in the sony reader package for 15% off accessories if I register the reader, so maybe I will look into if they improve their case lineup/options.

The case is really nice looking (mine is green with smooth/synthetic leather), my sony reader is held snugly & almost looks like the case was made for it. My guess is Kindle 2 cases would work as well, but they didn't have those at the store (only latest generation which looked too short), but I saw some on clearance online at the m-edge site for $20 (mine was $45). I also got the m-edge light and it is pretty great although pricey. Light slides in & out of case as well as rotates to cover whole screen & can be adjusted to eliminate glare. The case does make the reader bulkier & heavier, which I kind of regret since my sony is thin, sleek, & a joy to hold. But it needs to have protection and I prefer the platform feature so I don't constantly have to hold it (can balance reader by flipping back portion over knees or prop it up on table in portrait or landscape view).

Its not perfect, the wireless button is covered up by one of the corners almost completely and the power button, sd card slot & volume buttons are slightly covered (but these last 3 take 1 second to move out of the way or/& are still useable with strap in place, I don't flip on wireless frequently so I am only inconvenienced to pull it partially out the case every once in awhile). Stylus is still retrievable. Since the sony 950 has buttons/media outlets all the way to the edges of all 4 corners of device I am not sure how cases designed for them will hold it securely WITHOUT covering up some of these buttons (maybe that is why the sony cover with molded plastic clip pieces doesn't last & gets bad reviews - don't hesitate to correct me if I am guessing wrong as to how that cover works or if any of you have used it awhile with no problems since it was hard to see on website). Small cons don't bother me and if m-edge comes up with a truly great design for my sony that justifies replacing this one I will just sell this case.

I also saw a waterproof case (its a glorified ziploc bag - I have something similar by Lewis & Clark for my ipod) I want for reading by the pool/beach. Has anyone tried this or seen another version? I know m-edge has a pretty awesome one for the kindle 2 that floats but it would not work for the sony since it is so customized.
srb12 is offline   Reply With Quote