Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 07-16-2013, 04:07 PM   #17161
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
So on to Wolverine's Daughter by Doranna Durgin, bought in October 2003.
Well, I got side-tracked by two other old purchases,

Fantasy Adventures #1 edited by Philip Harbottle which I bought in October 2007 and Fantasy Adventures #2 also edited by Philip Harbottle which I bought in July 2003.

They are both miscellaneous collections of SF and fantasy, but are most notable for previously unpublished Dumarest stories, one per collection.[/INDENT]
I'm nearly finished with the second one, and then I'll move on to Wolverine's Daughter.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 05:53 PM   #17162
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Reading Wolf in Shadow by John Lambshead, a book I got in the latest Baen Monthly Bundle. I probably wouldn't have even read it, except that others have been saying good things about it. And they are right, it's quite fun.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 06:13 PM   #17163
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool Robert Galbraith (Pseudonym), J.K. Rowling & Carolyn Keene (Harriet Stratemeyer Adams

Quote:
Originally Posted by alansplace View Post
I really liked Mystery at the Ski Jump as it was, as with all the Nancy Drew books, a fun and nostalgic read for me.

Flying Too High was a highly enjoyable read and I'll be going back after a short break to read the next of the Phryne Fisher mysteries.

The next one is The Clue of the Velvet Mask (Nancy Drew #30) by Carolyn Keene (Harriet Stratemeyer Adams) and I'm looking forward to it. It is written by a different ghost-writer.

Also, I'm reading a short story collection taking place in The Hollowsverse, Into the Woods: Tales from the Hollows and Beyond (The Hollows #10.1) by Kim Harrison.

The Clue of the Velvet Mask was a fun read as was Into the Woods.

I just began reading The Ringmaster's Secret (Nancy Drew #31) by Carolyn Keene (Harriet Stratemeyer Adams) and The Cuckoo's Calling (Cormoran Strike #1) by Robert Galbraith (Pseudonym), J.K. Rowling.

alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 10:56 PM   #17164
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
I read David Drake's Starliner. This reads like the author went on a cruise and then wrote a book about it adding a few sci-fi elements. "Sponge space" Please, skip this one. Rated D+ [2 stars]. Many many errors after OCR scan.
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 08:31 AM   #17165
bfisher
Wizard
bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Galaxy (Aldiko, Kobo app)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fbone View Post
I read David Drake's Starliner. This reads like the author went on a cruise and then wrote a book about it adding a few sci-fi elements. "Sponge space" Please, skip this one. Rated D+ [2 stars]. Many many errors after OCR scan.
Was it anything like the liner section in Fledgling? That read like a description of any cruise.
bfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 11:04 AM   #17166
cortman
Zealot
cortman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cortman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cortman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cortman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cortman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cortman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cortman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cortman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cortman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cortman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cortman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, Kindle 3 3g, Nook HD+, Nexus 4 (Mantano)
Finished The Complete Short Stories of Ernest Hemingway, and am now in the first half of Inferno, by Dante Alighieri. Very interesting so far.
cortman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 12:23 PM   #17167
bfisher
Wizard
bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I finished John Burt's Lincoln's Tragic Pragmatism. It was a long slog. I offer as a sample this sentence:
"it is a deliverance of phronetic practice, not the subject of an epistemic rule ..."
; Burt is a Professor of English at Brandeis

Nevertheless, I did feel that it offered some novel interpretations (to me) on the Lincoln-Douglas debates.
Old 07-17-2013, 01:52 PM   #17168
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfisher View Post
Was it anything like the liner section in Fledgling? That read like a description of any cruise.
I haven't read Fledgling but I'm sure they're similar. It's like an episode or two of The Love Boat.
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 02:03 PM   #17169
Bompa
Banned
Bompa began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Vox
Thumbs up

I'm half way through Book # 20 of Patrick O'Brian's Aubrey/Maturin series.
Sorry to see the series over but he does have Book #21 out there that was half finished when he died. Have to get if from Chapters soon.

Bompa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 03:53 PM   #17170
bfisher
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fbone View Post
I haven't read Fledgling but I'm sure they're similar. It's like an episode or two of The Love Boat.
Old 07-17-2013, 08:20 PM   #17171
PurpleStar
Wizard
PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Clara 2E
I finished Spin by Robert Charles Wilson. I thought it was an awesome book and I'd recommend it if you like Sci-Fi. I will definitely have to buy the other books in the series at some point. For now, I'm in the mood for some good old Star Trek. So I'm reading Devil's Bargain by Tony Daniel.
PurpleStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 10:21 PM   #17172
Synamon
Lunatic
Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite and Keyboard, Kobo Aura, iPad mini, iPod Touch
My summer reads so far (some have been mentioned elsewhere on the forum, but I'll list them here for completeness):

Disgrace by Jussi Adler-Olsen, second in the Department Q series. Karl and Assad are back, this time with an unwanted assistant and a case that exposes some seriously depraved killers.

I read the rest of the Rabbi Small series (7 books in all) by Harry Kemelman. The mystery component of these books is secondary to the fascinating glimpse into a small fictional Jewish community and their unflappable rabbi.

XO by Jeffrey Deaver, the most recent in his Katherine Dance series. Fame and stalkers are the theme in this one. Plenty of suspects and a few twists and turns to stretch out the story, but Dance single-handedly figuring everything out was even more of a stretch.

Reliquary
by Douglas & Child, second in the Alan Pendergast series. Many of the characters from the first book were back and this time the creepy setting was underneath the city. Kind of a urban Raiders of the Lost Ark feel to this series, fun adventure that doesn't stand up to much scrutiny.

Longitude by Dava Sobel. Very approachable non-fiction about the challenges the great minds of the day faced trying to come up with a reliable method of determining longitude at sea. Nowadays GPS helps us find our lost phone, back then men died when they got lost.

Buddenbrooks by Thomas Mann, for the Literary bookclub. Generational epic of a family's decline.

The Litigators by John Grisham. The usual: evil companies, greed, young lawyer makes good, this time with a dash of ambulance chasing.

The Cuckoo's Calling by Robert Galbraith, aka JK Rowling. A well done modern take on the standard private eye story, with a healthy dose of scorn for the lifestyles of the rich and famous. The detective and his secretary were very likeable, sort of a Perry Mason / Della Street vibe there.

Last edited by Synamon; 07-17-2013 at 10:24 PM.
Synamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 11:30 PM   #17173
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by caleb72 View Post
Now I'm reading an indie effort which promises to be a bit different - a LBGT historical drama. It's The Pretty Gentleman by Max Fincher and I'll be reviewing it for my site. It's about a wide-eyed young painter who falls for his patron and is eventually betrayed. So - here I go.
OK - I really enjoyed this one (4 - 4.5 stars). It's pacing is a bit bizarre and I really thought it was more of a coming-of-age historical drama, but then it turned into this murder mystery that climaxed in the last quarter of the book. Consequently, I can see why some would claim pacing problems.

However, I had no problems with it, and the slower paced first half I found to be quite fascinating; rich in detail about the lives of artists at the time, with the appearance of famous personages such as Henry Fuseli and William Mulready, some passages of searing beauty on the nature of the male form from the point of view of the artist, and a coming-of-age tale that falls apart after the youthful aspiring painter falls in love with his patron.

Even without the murder mystery aspect, I would have enjoyed this novel. However, if I was reading it mainly because of the murder mystery I might have had trouble with the first half of the book.

There was the occasional issue with a typo/missed word, but these were infrequent and there was one passage that changed to present tense in a way I felt could not be justified. Additionally there was one issue with a fact repeated in a scene in an illogical way. On the whole, however, the quality was fairly consistent and as stated before, some of the passages were quite beautiful. The author has a flair for the descriptive.

I'm still waiting for my library copy of Buddenbrooks to become available, so in the meantime, I'm going to try out another indie.

This time, it is The Takers, the first in a trilogy about Oz (with a dark/horror slant) from the author R W Ridley. This book won an IPPY award in 2006 so I'm hoping this is a fair indication of the quality I can expect.
caleb72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 11:37 PM   #17174
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool ...ditto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synamon View Post
...The Cuckoo's Calling by Robert Galbraith, aka JK Rowling. A well done modern take on the standard private eye story, with a healthy dose of scorn for the lifestyles of the rich and famous. The detective and his secretary were very likeable, sort of a Perry Mason / Della Street vibe there.
to that...I'm 1/3 of the way into it...just ready to begin Part 3.

alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 03:32 AM   #17175
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazrin View Post
Mort came in a couple days ago along with Rain Storm (now Winner Take All) by Barry Eisler. Mort first I think, probably starting on Monday.
I really like Terry Pratchett. Enough said.

I will start Winner Take All/Rain Storm on Friday I think.
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote