Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 07-29-2012, 11:44 PM   #1
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Save Conversion Settings

Can this be added to Calibre - save a set of Conversion settings to a named list, select and apply a member of the list to a selected document(s).

GUI-wise I envisage Save and Load options on the Conversion dialogue box.

My preference would be that the list of Conversion Setting templates be available to all Libraries, failing that the ability to replicate the list between libraries.

I imagine the list would have to be 'partitioned' into in-out format groups, eg PDF2EPUB, MOBI2PDF, to prevent using settings inappropriate to the source and target formats.

I'd really like some indication as to whether this is a) doable, and b) whether it might be done in say the next few months - if not then I'll get a new thinking cap.

BR
BetterRed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 01:19 AM   #2
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
You probably already know about the input and output options in preferences, but just in case

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 07:13 AM   #3
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by speakingtohe View Post
You probably already know about the input and output options in preferences, but just in case

Helen
Thanks Helen, yes I know of those settings and I use them to the extent that I can - but they are primarily about formats, my issues are more about layouts and styles.

I find getting the 'best' settings for my conversions is a bit of a hit and miss affair, so I'd like to build up a collection of different combinations that I can reuse experimentally.

Here's a picture of what I thiught it might look like - I appreciate there's a lot more than that.

BR
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	328
Size:	127.6 KB
ID:	89911  

Last edited by BetterRed; 07-30-2012 at 07:16 AM.
Old 07-30-2012, 10:13 AM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Why not 'Borrow'

Why not a 'borrow' button that uses the settings used on another title ?
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 10:53 AM   #5
Thasaidon
Hedge Wizard
Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Nook Simple
Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
Thanks Helen, yes I know of those settings and I use them to the extent that I can - but they are primarily about formats, my issues are more about layouts and styles.

I find getting the 'best' settings for my conversions is a bit of a hit and miss affair, so I'd like to build up a collection of different combinations that I can reuse experimentally.

Here's a picture of what I thiught it might look like - I appreciate there's a lot more than that.

BR
I suggeted something similar but Kovid did not think the idea was worth pursuing. I made the suggestion because I convert books for a number of different devices for family and friends and it would be easier to choose the the settings for "my sister who has a Sony" rather than " my friend who has a Kindle". There is a messy way to do it discussed in another thread. I will try to find it and post the link.

Found it - please see below

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=160581

Last edited by Thasaidon; 07-30-2012 at 10:56 AM. Reason: To add link to another thread
Thasaidon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 12:31 AM   #6
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Why not a 'borrow' button that uses the settings used on another title ?
Are you saying that a "borrow" feature already exists, if so pray tell where 'tis

If you are suggesting something like "Copy/Paste" then that would do me nicely, providing I could borrow the settings from a book in one library and apply them to a book in another library.

Then my "list of Conversion Settings" would be in a library, which means Kovid would not have to worry about maintaining the list in the metadata database.

Thanks ducks - BR
Old 07-31-2012, 12:39 AM   #7
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

insert Thasaidon's thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thasaidon View Post
I suggeted something similar but Kovid did not think the idea was worth pursuing. I made the suggestion because I convert books for a number of different devices for family and friends and it would be easier to choose the the settings for "my sister who has a Sony" rather than " my friend who has a Kindle". There is a messy way to do it discussed in another thread. I will try to find it and post the link.

Found it - please see below
Thasaidon - your link is Error 404

I like the idea The Ducks has given us, what about you ?

Found it ===>>> Multiple conversion settings feature request

I envisage I'll end up with about 30 Conversion Settings, the idea of copying things in and out of the Calibre config directory and starting & stopping Calibre would drive me banana's and be ultra-prone to me making mistakes.

"We" get told by the Calibre guru's not to access the Library folders which Calibre, on Windows at least, puts in the users Documents folder. The conversions folder is in Users\<user>\AppData\Roaming\calibre\; if the the gurus knew I was messy around in there, they'd send in the drones

If it was small number of settings and occasional use then it would be OK, but I have several thousand documents I want to convert.

I really don't want to process my source documents in batches according to the Conversion Settings they will use. I want to process them by subject and date, irrespective of original source, format or style (which are the Conversion settings determinants). Otherwise nothing will be finished until everything is finished

I've put a post into the Plugins suggestions box regarding this request. I thought The Ducks Borrow idea might be amenable to being done in a plugin.

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 07-31-2012 at 02:17 AM.
Old 07-31-2012, 09:40 AM   #8
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Are you saying that a "borrow" feature already exists, if so pray tell where 'tis

If you are suggesting something like "Copy/Paste" then that would do me nicely, providing I could borrow the settings from a book in one library and apply them to a book in another library.

Then my "list of Conversion Settings" would be in a library, which means Kovid would not have to worry about maintaining the list in the metadata database.

Thanks ducks - BR
It does not exist (yet ).

Since book Conversion settings are stored in the DB, Conversions Options table.. I was thinking a tool could be added to the conversion screen to do a 1 time 'Borrow" (there are just way too many issues using a link to a Book) from a selected title.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 10:45 AM   #9
Thasaidon
Hedge Wizard
Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Nook Simple
Quote:
Thasaidon - your link is Error 404

I like the idea The Ducks has given us, what about you ?

Found it ===>>> Multiple conversion settings feature request

BR
Thanks for publishing the correct link. I was just about to leave work for home when I posted my earlier contribution.

Yes The Ducks idea would be solve all my problems. Good thinking that man!

We just have to suggest the idea to Kiwidude now.

Last edited by Thasaidon; 07-31-2012 at 10:48 AM. Reason: Missed something
Thasaidon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 07:13 PM   #10
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Maybe if the borrow doesn't work out a button on the conversion screen saying save the settings for this book as the default.

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 08:31 PM   #11
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

Quote:
Originally Posted by speakingtohe View Post
Maybe if the borrow doesn't work out a button on the conversion screen saying save the settings for this book as the default.

Helen
Helen, yes, that would be a step forward

My ideas for theDucks Borrow idea are
  • Add a setting to Preferences->Conversion->Common called "Borrow Library" which references a Calibre Library.
  • Add a "Borrow" button to Conversion, clicking it would display the list of titles in the Borrow Library, from which a selection is made, the Conversion Settings from the selected book in the Borrow Library would be injected into the Book being converted.
But that probably takes it out of the domain of PlugIns

My Borrow Library would have the 30 odd "templates" I mentioned earlier - with names like "PDF2EPUB_UKPARL_GreenPaper", "RTF2EPUB_EUROSTAT_CountryReport" etc.

If the result is unsatisfactory then I can quickly try another template by typing C and clicking Borrow again. Some institutions use different styles on similar documents for no apparent reason. Particularly the one with a currency problem

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 07-31-2012 at 09:04 PM.

Tags
borrow a format setting