Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > PocketBook

Notices

Old 02-04-2011, 12:00 PM   #151
review
Addict
review got an A in P-Chem.review got an A in P-Chem.review got an A in P-Chem.review got an A in P-Chem.review got an A in P-Chem.review got an A in P-Chem.review got an A in P-Chem.review got an A in P-Chem.review got an A in P-Chem.review got an A in P-Chem.review got an A in P-Chem.

Device: 903
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmith65 View Post
Hi, it's me again. I know I'm very persistent, but I did wish that 2.0.4 would fix the issue with my speakers popping whenever I press something AFTER the LED is off. However, 2.0.4 did not fix it.

I just figured out something I wish to share so you can help me find a way to fix it or, better yet, fix it in the next firmware release.

I just found out that when I am charging the device, it is deadly quiet (which is what I want). I think the problem may be current surges that would happen whenever I press a button or trigger the G-sensor after the LED goes off, which may mean that the device is put into some kind of power saving mode.

Another way to make it quiet with the crackling noise is, surprisingly, to play some MP3 in the background. Then LED stays on, and I don't hear any noise even though I set the volume to mute.

I currently suspect current surges are the culprits because the faults are not due to the speakers since it happens also when I plug my headphones in. If I plug in my headphones before the device boots up, I can hear the noise very loud and clearly (I encourage you to try it out and see if it's true for your device). It also happens when I turn the device off.

Right now, I am using a dummy headphone jack to mute and also protect the speakers. I hope this can be easily fixed with software. However, just in case it is the hardware issue, are the speakers unpluggable?

Thank you.
To be honest, I've heard once in a while some popping noise out of the speakers. However, it was certainly not "loud" or disturbing in my case. Certainly I believe that if that popping sound would be louder it would be very irritating.

As a brief comment: yes, you can easily unplug the speakers. Open the back (good luck with that, I guess you have heard that removing the back is a great pain.. but there are youtube videos by one of the sales person explaining how you can remove the back side with duck tape!!)... anyway, once you've opened the back you will immediately see where you can unplug the speakers.

Good luck. (removing the back was for me one of the most annoying experiences... I handle all my electronic equipment with so much love and care that removing that back was to me like plain torture)
review is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 05:38 PM   #152
jsmith65
jsmith65 began at the beginning.

Device: PB 902, Nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by review View Post
To be honest, I've heard once in a while some popping noise out of the speakers. However, it was certainly not "loud" or disturbing in my case. Certainly I believe that if that popping sound would be louder it would be very irritating.

As a brief comment: yes, you can easily unplug the speakers. Open the back (good luck with that, I guess you have heard that removing the back is a great pain.. but there are youtube videos by one of the sales person explaining how you can remove the back side with duck tape!!)... anyway, once you've opened the back you will immediately see where you can unplug the speakers.

Good luck. (removing the back was for me one of the most annoying experiences... I handle all my electronic equipment with so much love and care that removing that back was to me like plain torture)
Thank you for your help, review. I did open the back and found where to unplug the speakers. However, I wonder if the white connectors are pluggable or not. I don't want to apply too much force and risk damaging them.

It was very frustrating to open the back, as you said. I had to put it on the floor and press hard enough for it to open.
jsmith65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 05:55 PM   #153
review
Addict
review got an A in P-Chem.review got an A in P-Chem.review got an A in P-Chem.review got an A in P-Chem.review got an A in P-Chem.review got an A in P-Chem.review got an A in P-Chem.review got an A in P-Chem.review got an A in P-Chem.review got an A in P-Chem.review got an A in P-Chem.

yes, they are pluggable... at least those on mine 903 (which i presume is really the same as on the 902) are.
Old 02-04-2011, 06:06 PM   #154
jsmith65

Quote:
yes, they are pluggable... at least those on mine 903 (which i presume is really the same as on the 902) are.
Review, I still have not found out how to unplug this. Do you unplug it to the direction of the headphones jack (horizontally) or towards the back cover (vertically)?
Old 02-04-2011, 06:13 PM   #155
review
Addict

you unplug them parallel to the main board (wiggle a bit). and draw them horizontally towards the bottom/ headphone jack
Old 02-04-2011, 06:29 PM   #156
jsmith65

Quote:
you unplug them parallel to the main board (wiggle a bit). and draw them horizontally towards the bottom/ headphone jack

Thank you very much, review. It was done as you said. The space is so small that I had to use 2 small flat-head screwdrivers to wiggle them out. Now I don't need the dummy headphone jack anymore.

Since I bought this device mainly for reading, I can live without the speakers. I was waiting to see if they can fix it with the new firmwares or not. If not, I intended to cut the speakers' wires and solder them later on when someone finds a fix. Now it can easily be done by just plugging the connectors in.

Finally, I found peace!
Old 02-04-2011, 07:23 PM   #157
jsmith65

New Truly Software Bug

I just found a truly software bug in 902 with firmware 2.0.4.

Open any pdf file, then open a dictionary inside of the pdf file. Next, with the dictionary still open, click "Next page" button. Then the device goes to next page and hangs with green LED on, and can only operate again with a hard reboot.

Could someone help me test this out to confirm it, please?
Old 02-05-2011, 03:50 AM   #158
review
Addict

This software bug is not new in any way. It has been reported over and over again and is obviously very annoying. In fact, I'm not even sure if it is ONLY in Adobe but the dictionary support in adobe is generally pretty bad.
However, since I know you've been using djvu files: The dictionary in djvu files works excellent. However, I probably wouldn't go the long way and convert my pdf files to djvu files just to have dictionary support
Old 02-05-2011, 12:43 PM   #159
marty63
Enthusiast
marty63 doesn't littermarty63 doesn't litter

Device: PocketBook Pro 902
Notes in PB 902 FW 2.0.4 EURO

At reading pdf document while using pdfviewer choose from context menu "Note". Choose text, to be in notice and save.
Unfortunately note it is impossible see in main menu - menu "Notes".
May I she see only if is reader connected as next disk.
In directory "notes" are files e.g.: 1.htm + directory 1.files (inside is *.bmp file).
Looks it, by way it reader saved in format "save as: web page-complet".

At reading pdf document while using AdobeViewer, notes is visible from main menu, but is visible whole page nor only selected text to be in notice.

Last edited by marty63; 02-05-2011 at 12:45 PM. Reason: Completing information
marty63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 06:41 AM   #160
Inagua
Inagua began at the beginning.

Device: pb pro 903
When I login at http://www.zeit.de/angebote/audio/epaper in order to download the epub version of "die zeit" the browser always crashes.
Inagua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 12:28 PM   #161
mysweety
Connoisseur
mysweety is a jewel in the roughmysweety is a jewel in the roughmysweety is a jewel in the roughmysweety is a jewel in the roughmysweety is a jewel in the roughmysweety is a jewel in the roughmysweety is a jewel in the roughmysweety is a jewel in the roughmysweety is a jewel in the roughmysweety is a jewel in the roughmysweety is a jewel in the rough

Device: Hanlin V3, PB360
I have some texts with marks under and over letters - as used in transliteration of Sanskrit. Examples are ṣ and ā. These are perfectly clear in pdf and html on the computer but are not available on the PB360.

Could you please include this type of coding - it is part of Utf-8.
mysweety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 12:39 PM   #162
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysweety View Post
I have some texts with marks under and over letters - as used in transliteration of Sanskrit. Examples are ṣ and ā. These are perfectly clear in pdf and html on the computer but are not available on the PB360.

Could you please include this type of coding - it is part of Utf-8.
You need font that supports those characters. When codint of text is UTF-8, the only thing that prevents PB360 from displaying the text properly is missing characters from font.

try one of those fonts
http://www.sil.org/computing/catalog...=cat&name=Font
have a look at Gentium first.

Also try installing this font
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DejaVu_fonts

You can install the font by naming it with a .ttf suffix (if it doesn't already have such name and copying it into X:\system\font directory you see when you connect reader to computer. X: is whatever letter computer assigns to your reader.
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 11:19 AM   #163
mysweety
Connoisseur
mysweety is a jewel in the roughmysweety is a jewel in the roughmysweety is a jewel in the roughmysweety is a jewel in the roughmysweety is a jewel in the roughmysweety is a jewel in the roughmysweety is a jewel in the roughmysweety is a jewel in the roughmysweety is a jewel in the roughmysweety is a jewel in the roughmysweety is a jewel in the rough

Thanks kacir. Both Gentium and DejaVu work very well.

PocketBook360 does a really good job - even with the version 14.xx I've not found a problem.
Old 02-16-2011, 11:24 AM   #164
mysweety
Connoisseur

I have had a problem with the Table of Contents and the PB360. I converted a very large pdf with Mobipocket Creator and it did a very good job. However when I do a table of contents on the headers (h1 and h2) the table displays OK but there is a slippage of 3 or 4 pages - so for example if XXXXX is on p 384 on the toc it is really on 388. Is there a bug on calculating the page numbers? I checked the html and the headers are in the correct places.
Old 02-18-2011, 09:24 PM   #165
sarkash
Enthusiast
sarkash has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: PB 902
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmith65 View Post
I just found a truly software bug in 902 with firmware 2.0.4.

Open any pdf file, then open a dictionary inside of the pdf file. Next, with the dictionary still open, click "Next page" button. Then the device goes to next page and hangs with green LED on, and can only operate again with a hard reboot.

Could someone help me test this out to confirm it, please?
tested on my 902 (january firmware) with pdfviewer(my default). no bug, works like a charm. dictionary was open, turned to next page, and the dictionary remained open even in the next page. to make pfdviewer ur default goto https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=67149

since the january firmware i hadn't had the need for a hard reset even for once, and i threw loads of different pdf files on it, full size newspapers, magazines, books... u name it

Last edited by sarkash; 02-18-2011 at 09:47 PM.
sarkash is offline   Reply With Quote