Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 01-10-2015, 03:05 PM   #151
yayo
Groupie
yayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura H2O 1st. gen. Libra 2
Usual stupid question by yours truly: will everything work OK (i mean the Start Menu + pbchess + Koreader installation) on the H2O? I used to have the whole setup installed on my Aura 6' and it worked great, but since buying the H2O I've been a little reluctant experimenting with alternative readers cause i wouldn't want to brick the reader.
yayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 03:38 PM   #152
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
Adding a book could "brick" the reader. Trying to setup the reader with the features you want, could "brick" the reader. Charging it could "Brick" the reader. Updating the firmware could "Brick" the reader. It's possible, that installing the required "Launcher" and the alternative/addon software could lead to a "Bricked" reader - but - it is not anymore likely that some of the above. The new H2o may be a little more problematic but if you could successfully install the software on the Aura 6", which also had some issues for some time, you should be able to do the install on a H2o.

Even if you had problems, a factory reset should replace every thing your install effected, with the original programing, as shipped. Anyone who actually "bricked" their reader installing the alternative software, had to have done something drastic not part of the install instructions.

Luck;
Ken
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 03:40 PM   #153
BWinmill
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by yayo View Post
Usual stupid question by yours truly: will everything work OK (i mean the Start Menu + pbchess + Koreader installation) on the H2O? I used to have the whole setup installed on my Aura 6' and it worked great, but since buying the H2O I've been a little reluctant experimenting with alternative readers cause i wouldn't want to brick the reader.
I had all three installed on my H2O and don't recall any issues.

As far as I can tell, it is impossible to brick the H2O since you can pull out the uSD card to perform a manual recovery. (Granted, it is not for the faint of heart: it will void the warranty, will probably diminish the water resistance, requires some knowledge of Unix, and it is best to create a system image before hand.)
Old 01-11-2015, 06:59 AM   #154
yayo
Groupie
yayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura H2O 1st. gen. Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by BWinmill View Post
you can pull out the uSD card to perform a manual recovery. (Granted, it is not for the faint of heart: it will void the warranty, will probably diminish the water resistance, requires some knowledge of Unix, and it is best to create a system image before hand.)
lol, that's what I ment by "bricking". Two years of warranty in EU means I'd rather avoid having to open the reader. A factory reset on the other hand I just consider "periodical maintenance"
yayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 01:34 PM   #155
libertango
Connoisseur
libertango is a marvel to beholdlibertango is a marvel to beholdlibertango is a marvel to beholdlibertango is a marvel to beholdlibertango is a marvel to beholdlibertango is a marvel to beholdlibertango is a marvel to beholdlibertango is a marvel to beholdlibertango is a marvel to beholdlibertango is a marvel to beholdlibertango is a marvel to behold

Device: kobo clara hd, kobo glo hd, kobo aura h2o, kobo touch, kindle dx
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Maltby View Post
Adding a book could "brick" the reader. Trying to setup the reader with the features you want, could "brick" the reader. Charging it could "Brick" the reader. Updating the firmware could "Brick" the reader. It's possible, that installing the required "Launcher" and the alternative/addon software could lead to a "Bricked" reader - but - it is not anymore likely that some of the above. The new H2o may be a little more problematic but if you could successfully install the software on the Aura 6", which also had some issues for some time, you should be able to do the install on a H2o.

Even if you had problems, a factory reset should replace every thing your install effected, with the original programing, as shipped. Anyone who actually "bricked" their reader installing the alternative software, had to have done something drastic not part of the install instructions.

Luck;
Ken
Could you tell me something more about the risk to brick a device (with ksm and koreader installed) during a firmware upgrade? What is the best practice when an update is available? To skip or to do it, and how?
I am an happy KSM-KOreader user on Kobo touch but still hesitant on H2O.
libertango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 02:56 PM   #156
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I still have my AuraHD on 3.5.0, the updates after that seemed to only address how the stock readers worked. For the H2o there may be good reason to catch a few updates.

The firmware updates offer a greater potential, only in that they could be made to effect the device at a low level and over a broader range of functions, than what the addon software deals with. The risk is very low that an official firmware release would include anything that would harm the device. That assumes that you are installing the correct Firmware for that device. Applying the wrong Firmware on a device, can certainly result in a bricked device.

There is not that much history with the new H2o, and I don't have one, so all I can say is that I have had no real problems with KSM or KOreader on my AuraHD for quite some time now. I have been through a FW update and a few KSM updates/patches as well as over 150 KOreader updates, with no problems.

Luck;
Ken
Old 01-11-2015, 04:53 PM   #157
libertango
Connoisseur
libertango is a marvel to beholdlibertango is a marvel to beholdlibertango is a marvel to beholdlibertango is a marvel to beholdlibertango is a marvel to beholdlibertango is a marvel to beholdlibertango is a marvel to beholdlibertango is a marvel to beholdlibertango is a marvel to beholdlibertango is a marvel to beholdlibertango is a marvel to behold

Device: kobo clara hd, kobo glo hd, kobo aura h2o, kobo touch, kindle dx
Thanks Ken for your answer and help.
libertango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 05:43 AM   #158
Heiderose
Heiderose began at the beginning.

Device: PB 623
Quote:
Koreader has a number of ways to search and work with calibre, I tried to provide a short description of two of them here. They are WiFi methods. There is also the means to search the Metadata database that calibre maintains on the Kobo device. To have calibre send books to your hidden folder you use "Send to file", instead of send to device.

To select an "in-box" folder you long press the folder you want to use and answer the popup.

Not sure I understand your second issue, is that with PDFs?

Luck;
Ken
Dear Ken,

sorry for my late reply, due to other issues I had to follow.
I tried an managed the contact to Calibre over WLAN but had no success in synchronising - the connection broke with the message Error 10054. But it does not matter I managed the synchronisation via BestSync and have now even subfolders with my genres on the Kobo. Fine for me. As for my last remark about the last lines not properly showing up in Koreader - it's my fault, I had the view mode "scroll" instead of "page" - now everything works well on my Kobo Aura H2O thanks a lot for your excellent help!!!!
(And for your patience with stupid beginners like me)

Best regards
Heide
Heiderose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 01:18 PM   #159
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
I still have my AuraHD on 3.5.0, the updates after that seemed to only address how the stock readers worked. For the H2o there may be good reason to catch a few updates.

The firmware updates offer a greater potential, only in that they could be made to effect the device at a low level and over a broader range of functions, than what the addon software deals with. The risk is very low that an official firmware release would include anything that would harm the device. That assumes that you are installing the correct Firmware for that device. Applying the wrong Firmware on a device, can certainly result in a bricked device.

There is not that much history with the new H2o, and I don't have one, so all I can say is that I have had no real problems with KSM or KOreader on my AuraHD for quite some time now. I have been through a FW update and a few KSM updates/patches as well as over 150 KOreader updates, with no problems.

Luck;
Ken
You should update to 3.12.0 so you can make sure that KSM and Koreader works with it.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 03:03 PM   #160
Ken Maltby
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
You should update to 3.12.0 so you can make sure that KSM and Koreader works with it.
I actually read a lot with my FW3.0.5 AuraHD and I do keep it up to date with KSM and Koreader. I have another AuraHD that I do more drastic mods to and I have had FW3.11.0 on it recently.

Perhaps a equal argument could be made that I should have an H2o, and now a PocketBook, for the same reason. As it stands, there are plenty of posts when a problem crops up, much more if anything stops working. I try to post warnings in the guide, when I see the need, but lately it is hard just to keep a proper link to install packages.

Luck;
Ken

Last edited by Ken Maltby; 01-20-2015 at 03:06 PM.
Old 01-20-2015, 03:38 PM   #161
mroni
mroni began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
Is there alternative reader which works possibly exactly as original with one difference - change pages in epub as fast as in kepub (maybe by using same renderer)? I have already tried KOReader, indeed faster page changing in epub's, but orignila reader is still way better for me.
mroni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 06:34 PM   #162
Ken Maltby
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by mroni View Post
Is there alternative reader which works possibly exactly as original with one difference - change pages in epub as fast as in kepub (maybe by using same renderer)? I have already tried KOReader, indeed faster page changing in epub's, but orignila reader is still way better for me.
Sorry, but in terms of software, what you are asking for is not possible.

Luck;
Ken
Old 01-24-2015, 06:54 PM   #163
tshering
Wizard
tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by mroni View Post
Has it to be an alternative reader? If not you could convert epub to kepub.epub, and use the original software.
tshering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 12:27 PM   #164
mroni
mroni began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by tshering View Post
Has it to be an alternative reader? If not you could convert epub to kepub.epub, and use the original software.
I know, but for e.g. in kepubs I don't have hyphenation (in polish language at least) and i get header which takes space. (I know about fullscreen option, but then i loose footer :P)
mroni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 11:14 AM   #165
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
Will this work on a Glo HD running 3.15? Does it include Coolreader and a filemanager that allows browsing via directories?
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote