Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 10-26-2012, 02:58 PM   #1
Chris Jones
Addict
Chris Jones can name that ebook in five wordsChris Jones can name that ebook in five wordsChris Jones can name that ebook in five wordsChris Jones can name that ebook in five wordsChris Jones can name that ebook in five wordsChris Jones can name that ebook in five wordsChris Jones can name that ebook in five wordsChris Jones can name that ebook in five wordsChris Jones can name that ebook in five wordsChris Jones can name that ebook in five wordsChris Jones can name that ebook in five words

Device: none
Is the Calibre library directly portable to current e-readers?

I have populated a fairly large (~3GB) library on my laptop using Calibre's "add books" capability.

I was planning on copying this library to a micro SD card, popping the SD card into a (yet-to-be acquired..) e-reader, and start reading..

I looked at the structure of the Calibre library and saw that:

* There is an SQLite metadata.db database file at the top level of the Calibre library tree

* The custom book cover files that I downloaded manually/separately live at the top of each book's directory tree rather than inside the .epub files

This gives me a feeling that the Calibre library may not be fully compatible with the software on e-readers and that what I had in mind may not work as I hoped..!

Are my assumptions correct..?

Will I have to use the "Send to device" features of Calibre to upload the books to the e-reader via a USB connection..?

Has anyone had a comparable experience..?
Chris Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 03:11 PM   #2
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
SQLite is just for calibre. Won't interfere with uploading books to ereader.

Custom book covers are *not* automatically added to metadata. You will need to use the "Update epub" plugin or do a epub->epub convert.

Calibre is *fully* compatible with *all current* ebook readers.

While you can manually move files onto your ebook reader, calibre handles the transfer quite nicely.

Many of us have many years of successful experience with calibre.
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 07:02 PM   #3
Chris Jones
Addict
Chris Jones can name that ebook in five wordsChris Jones can name that ebook in five wordsChris Jones can name that ebook in five wordsChris Jones can name that ebook in five wordsChris Jones can name that ebook in five wordsChris Jones can name that ebook in five wordsChris Jones can name that ebook in five wordsChris Jones can name that ebook in five wordsChris Jones can name that ebook in five wordsChris Jones can name that ebook in five wordsChris Jones can name that ebook in five words

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgaiser View Post
SQLite is just for calibre. Won't interfere with uploading books to ereader.

Custom book covers are *not* automatically added to metadata. You will need to use the "Update epub" plugin or do a epub->epub convert.

Calibre is *fully* compatible with *all current* ebook readers.

While you can manually move files onto your ebook reader, calibre handles the transfer quite nicely.

Many of us have many years of successful experience with calibre.
Thanks for the good news..!

What I would like to achieve is to have a master library on the PC and slave "read-only-environments" on one or several e-readers.

Basically, the idea is that:

1. Provided I update the sd cards whenever I add new books (or on a weekly basis.. e.g.), all libraries would remain in sync'
2. The slave libraries could be recreated at a pinch in the event an sd card goes bad or is mislaid..
3. Downloads to the PC would be faster in my particular setup
4. Updating the library on the sd card(s) would also be much faster using tools such as rsync than using Calibre's "send to device" feature.
5. I could easily create 'starter set' libraries for family or friends that they would update whichever way they please henceforeward..
6. Customization of (free) ebooks via sigil, the Gimp, inkscape.. etc. would be simpler.

Of course, the merits/downsides of this projected setup would be easier to evaluate if I alredy owned an e-reader of some description or other.. but I'd rather have some idea of how I will organize before I commit to any particular brand/model..

Thanks..!
Old 10-26-2012, 07:10 PM   #4
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
You just want the book files on the ereader, not any of the other stuff. An rsync would transfer everything, which I don't think you would want. Not all ereaders have sd card slots, or the ability to display folder structure, which you find in Calibre.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 07:45 PM   #5
Chris Jones
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by susan_cassidy View Post
You just want the book files on the ereader, not any of the other stuff. An rsync would transfer everything, which I don't think you would want. Not all ereaders have sd card slots, or the ability to display folder structure, which you find in Calibre.
Thanks..! I mentioned rsync, because the idea would be to synchronize the files on the PC's HD with the contents of the SD card, rather than copy 3GB's worth every time I add a couple of books. Come to think of it, this raises another issue.. I'll have to run a test to verify that I can have all my .epub's in one flat directory and replace the .epub files currently in the Calibre library by soft links with the same names pointing to the actual files. I don't see any reason why Calibre would have any problem with that.. SQLite might, though..
Old 10-27-2012, 02:44 AM   #6
Dopedangel
Wizard
Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boyue
You are over thinking it. Use calibre to send files to your reader if you want to send files directly to sdcard and not use the ebook reader. Then you can use connect to folder option in calibre. Calibre detects what files are already on your device so you can dend only updated files later if you want.
Different readers have different requirements some will read the metadata but wont support series. Some will support folders so depending on the reader you get you can set up calibre to send files accordingly.
Dopedangel is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
epub, microsd, sqlite, usb