Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 05-10-2010, 05:06 PM   #1
yaychemistry
yaychemistry began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS 600
Am I Alone in Wishing that Dover published ebooks?

Hi, long time lurker, first time poster.

I've noticed that I'm not the only one who wants to use their e-reader to read technical/mathematical/scientific journal articles. Hopefully the recent improvements in the PDF capabilities of the Kindle 2 and the PRS 600 will be enough (waiting for my PRS 600 in the mail to test this out!).

This is my question to everyone who wants to read the same kind of equation-laden documents that I do:
If Dover decided to create digital versions of their textbook library would you be as excited as I would be?

I'm a chemistry grad student and right now at my desk in lab I've got about 10 Dover editions of various math and physics books. I've probably got a dozen more at home. What I'm hoping is that I'm not alone in desperately wanting Dover to create digital versions. I would like to think there is a sizable demand in the market for these (beyond just myself), so I'm hoping to hear from you guys about this. Maybe we could start a letter (email) writing campaign to Dover and convince them there are enough people that wait their books on their mobile readers.

Here's why I singled out Dover:

-Dover has a large collection of USEFUL reference texts that I use very often.
(Taylor's Scattering, Byron and Fuller, Herzberg, etc, not to mention their math library)

-Most Dover books are already pocket size so it wouldn't be too hard (or necessary) to change the page layouts to be readable on the mobile reader screens

-They're cheap! I would have no problem paying the full paper copy price for digital versions. Heck, I'd even pay a little more for the convenience of being able to carry all of them around with me.

So am I alone in wanting this? Is this a large untapped market? Can we convince Dover to do this, or am I better off building a book scanner and scanning my own books?
Thanks for your input!
yaychemistry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 08:52 PM   #2
Blue Tyson
Blue Captain
Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3G,Huawei Ideos X3,Kobo Mini
Scan it yourself and share it with everyone - if most/(all?) Dover is public domain, can't see them going out of their way to digitise stuff that anyone can them put on the internet.
Blue Tyson is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-11-2010, 09:29 AM   #3
yaychemistry
yaychemistry began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS 600
Actually, most of their science and math texts were first published within the last 50 years (and some with new editionss published as recently as 2006), so, correct me if I'm wrong, these are still on copywright and not on the public domain.

So, alas, it seems as if I'm all alone on this.
I guess I'll start looking into book scanners.
yaychemistry is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dover, math, science