Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 10-23-2008, 10:09 AM   #1
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Kindle on Oprah Oct. 24, 2008: Speculation

From the Amazon Forums

There is some speculation that on Friday, Oprah will introduce the Kindle as her New Favorite Gadget. There is a video on Amazon's front page about this mysterious device and of course the "buy it at Amazon" tag at the end.

I've watched the video a few times and can't tell what the gadget is. It look she opens the cover of the Kindle but it could also be the Sony for all I can tell.

Jeff Bezos has had a relationship with Oprah for many years. He's contributed a lot of money to her charities. I've been expecting to see the Kindle as part of her annual holiday Favorite Things show.

If it is the Kindle (or Sony or any other e-ink device), expect the market to blow up. Oprah has a lot on influence worldwide. This is all good for everyone.

I'll be TiVo'ing.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 10:11 AM   #2
Slite
Icanhasdonuts?
Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura 2nd edition, Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
From the Amazon Forums

There is some speculation that on Friday, Oprah will introduce the Kindle as her New Favorite Gadget. There is a video on Amazon's front page about this mysterious device and of course the "buy it at Amazon" tag at the end.

I've watched the video a few times and can't tell what the gadget is. It look she opens the cover of the Kindle but it could also be the Sony for all I can tell.

Jeff Bezos has had a relationship with Oprah for many years. He's contributed a lot of money to her charities. I've been expecting to see the Kindle as part of her annual holiday Favorite Things show.

If it is the Kindle (or Sony or any other e-ink device), expect the market to blow up. Oprah has a lot on influence worldwide. This is all good for everyone.

I'll be TiVo'ing.
First you TiVo, then you YouTube ... for us in the "old world" who doesnt have Oprah
Slite is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-23-2008, 10:14 AM   #3
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slite View Post
First you TiVo, then you YouTube ... for us in the "old world" who doesnt have Oprah
She has a website (Oprah.com). Video will mostly likely be available there as well.
Old 10-23-2008, 10:19 AM   #4
Slite
Icanhasdonuts?
Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura 2nd edition, Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
She has a website (Oprah.com). Video will mostly likely be available there as well.
Yah, like I would EVER surf into oprah.com!
Slite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 10:39 AM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Given that it is on the Amazon front page, it would have to be a Kindle. Why would Amazon put up a video that would help sell a competitor? They wouldn't.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-23-2008, 10:39 AM   #6
jerryleejr
Koby-rific!
jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kobo Sage,Kobo Aura One, Glo HD,PRS-T1,PRS-950, PRS 300, PRS 350
I thought we had decided to leave Oprah out of this??

JJ

Last edited by jerryleejr; 10-23-2008 at 10:46 AM.
jerryleejr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 11:19 AM   #7
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?
vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad
I'm not sure if this is news, but this article indicates that Amazon's CFO has said that there will be no new Kindle released this year. Of course, Oprah might either tout the current model or show off a future model or both.

http://www.betanews.com/article/Amaz...009/1224710500
vivaldirules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 12:08 PM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
No disrespect to the woman, but why should anyone care what a "chat show" hostess thinks?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 12:12 PM   #9
lisreed
Addict
lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.

Device: Nook GlowLight 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
No disrespect to the woman, but why should anyone care what a "chat show" hostess thinks?
Well in the US she is not just some chat show hostess. People for whatever reason listen to her. She has a lot of power. She time and again takes a nobody ever heard of writer and instantly turns them into a New York Times bestselling writer. Kindle sales will rise even more by a lot.
lisreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 12:13 PM   #10
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I see. Thanks.
Old 10-23-2008, 12:22 PM   #11
lisreed
Addict
lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.

Device: Nook GlowLight 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I see. Thanks.
I like her and occasionally watch her show but why she has so much clout with her millions of viewers ? Who knows :-)

On the plus side I think she has really encouraged a lot of people to start reading and that's a good thing.
lisreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 12:23 PM   #12
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisreed View Post
On the plus side I think she has really encouraged a lot of people to start reading and thats a good thing.
Definitely a good thing!
Old 10-23-2008, 12:47 PM   #13
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
Whatever she's holding in her hand three seconds into the clip looks white and the right size. Besides, like Jon said, if it were the Sony they wouldn't be promoting it like that. The fact that it's right in your face on the front page in the spot they usually use for the Kindle also makes me think that's what it is. I do notice that her book club picks tend to be available on the Kindle right away and Suze Orman had a freebie awhile back that was available on Oprah's site and for the Kindle so I wouldn't be surprised if they're friendly. I wonder if they'll have some sort of book club deal.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 12:48 PM   #14
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisreed View Post
Well in the US she is not just some chat show hostess. People for whatever reason listen to her. She has a lot of power. She time and again takes a nobody ever heard of writer and instantly turns them into a New York Times bestselling writer. Kindle sales will rise even more by a lot.
Well, actually she IS just a 'chat show hostess'. Not all people listen to what she has to say. Taking a nobody and turning them into a bestselling writing only goes to show that people will buy anything celebrities hype. Do you remember the hoofra that ensued when she touted Frey's book "A Million Little Pieces"? She put him on the best seller list for 15 weeks before she had him back on the show aplogizing after it was revealed his book was a bunch of lies.
I will admit she is a very powerful woman. Just not one I admire.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 01:50 PM   #15
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Given that it is on the Amazon front page, it would have to be a Kindle. Why would Amazon put up a video that would help sell a competitor? They wouldn't.
Since Amazon also sells the Sony and both the Sony and Kindle have been in her magazine, she could talk about one or both. I think it will be the Kindle but I since I'm not psychic (hence the "Speculation" title), I chose to leave the possibility open.

Tomorrow will tell. Since it's supposed to be a live broadcast, folks on the East Coast should know first.

Tags
amazon, bezos, eink, kindle, oprah