Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Uploads - Patricia Clark Memorial Library > Upload Help

Notices

Old 02-02-2008, 11:05 AM   #1
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Posting a book already available, in a different format ?

I am learning to format gutenberg texts for my eb1150 using the eBook Publisher software (because i just love fastidious projects involving technology, apparently) and i just finished my first sucessful project : an imp file of S.S. Van Dine's "The Bishop Murder Case", including clickable TOC and illustrations optimised for the eb1150 (resized, rotated when necessary to maximize size, added legend when the text is too small to read...).

I see that HarryT has already uploaded all the Van Dine books in mobi and sony formats ; would it be ok if i uploaded one of the same books in a different format (imp) ? I don't want to step on anyone's toes of course, but i thought it would be nice to participate in this project since i'm so happy to be able to download books other people have made available... share the love and all that...

I checked in the "ebooks we're working on" thread and no-one mentions Van Dine in imp format, so it doesn't seem to be a project in the works.

Let me know what the policy is on this question. Hopefully now that i'm starting to have some success with this process i can contribute more books in future...
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 11:15 AM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
By all means feel free to upload your eb1150 version. You won't be stepping on anyone's toes at all. I cannot speak for others, but if you make nice hand crafted versions of any of the IMP books I've posted that are better then mine, then please feel free to post as well. But I would like to know so I can remove my version. I'm all for the best read we can give people.

Thank you for making a nice IMP version.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-02-2008, 11:48 AM   #3
zelda_pinwheel
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

thanks for the reply ! i have added the book. hopefully the first of many...

cheers !
Old 02-02-2008, 08:55 PM   #4
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
Some of the ebook posters have not retained or otherwise lost their edit files from earlier posts and cannot easily make new versions of their prior ebook postings. I share Jon's view that if you feel you can make a better version (or we just haven't gotten around to making a version in that format) go for it. Dr. Drib has been engaged elsewhere and has not posted since early September so any of his books are fair game at the moment for conversion in another format.

Some posters will not post to an area such as IMP. This can be choice or due to the availability of tools on their platform. For example, HarryT has produced exceptional ebooks in the Mobipocket (PRC and MOBI) and Sony Reader (LRF) formats but not IMP. Some others have Apple Macs and their tools are limited.

The only area of conflict is where one person starts a series and someone else jumps in. This has happened in the past where the second poster even followed the original poster's numbering scheme. The best course is to PM the original poster and ask them what their intentions are. For example, if I saw some new Project Gutenberg files for works by Victor Appleton that I thought about posting, I would first PM HarryT and make him aware of them as he has posted everything available by Victor Appleton. It is only fair to them. If they decline to work on the new offerings or decide to omit a format from their postings then it is fair game.

Patricia and I have posted the same book in the same format before. It happens. There was no bad intent, just bad eyes -- for the sake of good order, she posted first and I did not see the book when I looked for prior postings.
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 08:07 AM   #5
zelda_pinwheel

thanks for the clarification ! i will definitely verify before posting that no-one has already posted the book / the intention to post the book, and contact the user if necessary.

i love being able to make a text which is pleasant to read with all the details that are important to me, and little by little i'm getting to know the software (i even read the entire manual, for once ; the publisher software is possibly the least intuitive program i've ever used), so i'll definitely continue to share the books i convert. i think it's brilliant to have these ressources available to everyone and i've benefitted a lot from the files available here (and on PG) and really appreciate the efforts other people have put in, so it seems like the least i can do to add some myself.
Advert
Old 02-07-2008, 02:37 PM   #6
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
thanks for the clarification ! i will definitely verify before posting that no-one has already posted the book / the intention to post the book, and contact the user if necessary.

i love being able to make a text which is pleasant to read with all the details that are important to me, and little by little i'm getting to know the software (i even read the entire manual, for once ; the publisher software is possibly the least intuitive program i've ever used), so i'll definitely continue to share the books i convert. i think it's brilliant to have these ressources available to everyone and i've benefitted a lot from the files available here (and on PG) and really appreciate the efforts other people have put in, so it seems like the least i can do to add some myself.
The publisher software manual has been reformatted to fit the eBookwise and is posted here on MobileRead with permission. There is also some other eBooks posted to help with the process such as CSS.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 04:52 PM   #7
zelda_pinwheel

that's good to know, thanks. that could definitely come in handy, because the other day it took me forever to find some info about using images that i *knew* i had seen in it (but *where* ???) ; no search feature on the emulator !!! i finally found the info i needed, not in the "working with images" chapter, but (unexpectedly) in the chapter about setting the preferences...

as for the css, that might come in handy too as i have noticed that the code used by publisher is a little different from css rules i am used to (i am a webdesigner, so i use html and css rules all the time, but for web content).

thanks for the info !
Old 02-07-2008, 08:46 PM   #8
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:

as for the css, that might come in handy too as i have noticed that the code used by publisher is a little different from css rules i am used to (i am a webdesigner, so i use html and css rules all the time, but for web content).

thanks for the info !
The CSS is from an older 1.0 version of CSS and that is the version I tried to capture. The fact that it is an earlier version is why the rules are not the same. Even the html isn't quite the same although close. Some of this I have tried to capture in the wiki.

Dale
Old 02-08-2008, 09:15 AM   #9
zelda_pinwheel

yes, i noticed the differences !! i had never seen some of that code before, but i am learning it little by little. it makes sense, if it is css 1.0... i would be great if i could use current css but so far i have been able to do everything i wanted with the older code, so maybe it's not necessary.

Can you give me the direct link to the wiki article ? i did a search but i only found one about css2. i have been collecting little snippets of code as i find them, and sometimes i do the formatting in word, import it to Publisher and then look at the source code there to see how it is translated if i want to figure out something specific. that's how i learned to make a page header, or force a page break for a new chapter. then i can just modify it or copy the code to use elsewhere. it is good to have a ressource for all the code in one place though, it makes it a lot easier !
Old 02-08-2008, 11:23 AM   #10
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
yes, i noticed the differences !! i had never seen some of that code before, but i am learning it little by little. it makes sense, if it is css 1.0... i would be great if i could use current css but so far i have been able to do everything i wanted with the older code, so maybe it's not necessary.

Can you give me the direct link to the wiki article ? i did a search but i only found one about css2. i have been collecting little snippets of code as i find them, and sometimes i do the formatting in word, import it to Publisher and then look at the source code there to see how it is translated if i want to figure out something specific. that's how i learned to make a page header, or force a page break for a new chapter. then i can just modify it or copy the code to use elsewhere. it is good to have a ressource for all the code in one place though, it makes it a lot easier !
CSS1 in the wiki is a bit spotty. However I did make an IMP for it. CSS1

Also check OpenBook structure

If you check the IMP book posts and go to the very last page you will see most of the books that I have posted to the site.

Dale