Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

Old 10-28-2012, 09:31 PM   #16
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: onyx boox poke 2 colour, kindle voyage
Heh, perhaps I'm shallow, but after the long build-up I found the library reveal funny.
sun surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 05:44 PM   #17
paola
Wizard
paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Pro 903, (beloved Pocketbook 360 RIP), Kobo Mini, Kobo Aura
finished it just in time for the November books - I agree with all the previous comments, it does feel rather dated. Having read it just after Middlemarch, I appreciated the lightness in tone, but in terms of social satire the comparison with Eliot (unfair, I know) is rather stark. I couldn't help thinking of Mr. Brooke when reading about hapless Petkoff.
paola is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-17-2012, 05:31 PM   #18
fantasyfan
Wizard
fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, 4G, iPad Air 2, iPhone IE
Generally, I enjoyed it. I like the way Shaw plays with serious issues such as identity, self-delusion, social pressures etc. I think he demonstrates that comedy can be a very serious business and reminds us that humour can have an underlying darkness.

Despite this thematic depth, I found that the finale was a bit lame at the very end. It seems that Shaw, having fired off all of his thematic cannons with considerable effect ended using a pea-shooter as a finisher. That last line just doesn't work for me. But there's lots of fun before it.
fantasyfan is offline   Reply With Quote