Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-16-2011, 01:22 PM   #31
whitearrow
Guru
whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2
So how are the fingerprints? It's my main reason for holding off.

Last edited by whitearrow; 11-16-2011 at 01:30 PM.
whitearrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 01:57 PM   #32
Blog Kindle
Addict
Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.

Device: Kindle 1/2/3/4/Touch/DX/Fire|PRS-600/350|Nook(color)|iPad|iPad2|EVO 4G
IMHO fingerprints aren't a problem. Yes, there are fingerprints, but you can only see then at very specific angles, the ones you will normally not read at (when you are looking almost parallel to the screen and towards the light) - so no big problem there.
Blog Kindle is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-16-2011, 01:58 PM   #33
gweminence
Fat Guy
gweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notes

Device: Kindle Voyage
I agree about the fingerprints. Unlike the Fire's screen, you have to consciously look for them on the Touch. At least, so it is for me.
gweminence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 02:09 PM   #34
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stingo View Post
4. No tracking bar on the bottom. I would not have minded making it hiding but I liked having it.
So it's gone completely? That kind of sucks, I like the progress bar and chapter marks not only showing how far I'm into the book, but what's left of the current chapter.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 02:33 PM   #35
grizedale
kindle Convert
grizedale shares his or her toysgrizedale shares his or her toysgrizedale shares his or her toysgrizedale shares his or her toysgrizedale shares his or her toysgrizedale shares his or her toysgrizedale shares his or her toysgrizedale shares his or her toysgrizedale shares his or her toysgrizedale shares his or her toysgrizedale shares his or her toys

Device: kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stingo View Post
4. No tracking bar on the bottom. I would not have minded making it hiding but I liked having it.
If that is the case I cannot wait for it to come to the UK, it is the only thing I dislike about the Kindles, I just want a page of text and do not want reminding how much there is left to go.
grizedale is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-16-2011, 02:33 PM   #36
Blog Kindle
Addict
Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.

Device: Kindle 1/2/3/4/Touch/DX/Fire|PRS-600/350|Nook(color)|iPad|iPad2|EVO 4G
Yep. Gone completely. Only current location and percentage numbers are there.
Blog Kindle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 02:54 PM   #37
grizedale
kindle Convert
grizedale shares his or her toysgrizedale shares his or her toysgrizedale shares his or her toysgrizedale shares his or her toysgrizedale shares his or her toysgrizedale shares his or her toysgrizedale shares his or her toysgrizedale shares his or her toysgrizedale shares his or her toysgrizedale shares his or her toysgrizedale shares his or her toys

Device: kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blog Kindle View Post
Ahh got my hopes up too soon, thought they meant that the whole bar had gone, locations and percentage included, oh well
grizedale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 02:54 PM   #38
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blog Kindle View Post
That's a positive for me.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 02:58 PM   #39
peregy
peregy began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch
but for real how hard was to add a button to turn it on and off in the settings, same for landscape mode, they seem lazy, those are trivial things to add to an OS especially if they had it in previous versions....
peregy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 03:02 PM   #40
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by peregy View Post
but for real how hard was to add a button to turn it on and off in the settings, same for landscape mode, they seem lazy, those are trivial things to add to an OS especially if they had it in previous versions....
I agree. I would prefer more options as well. Let us decide what we want to use. Why take stuff out?
Old 11-16-2011, 03:12 PM   #41
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCION View Post
Why take stuff out?
To save money
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 03:33 PM   #42
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"
Quote:
Originally Posted by peregy View Post
Because I work for a big company as well, those things that look trivial to you actually require a lot of testing and development. That also means more money, initial investment, and more time for the whole Project, which can push delivery dates.

Talking about hardware, like buttons, etc, is like others also explain. It saves money. Just not including AC adapter can save thousand of dollars when you do the calculations.
jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 04:03 PM   #43
shinew
Addict
shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, K4 Touch, iPad2, Samsung Galaxy S II
I've been using it for a day now. My initial impressions and the differences that matter to me:

- it's noticeably bigger and heavier than the K4NT, but it's still pretty light once I get used to it
- the touch navigation feels slightly laggy, sometimes I'm not sure whether it has registered my touch or not
- my screen is already slightly dirty(visible) from touching, still prefer buttons for page turning

+ the touch keyboard is very responsive for typing. I can type no slower than on my iDevices
+ it's great to be able to access variety of search(current book/wikipedia/store/dictionary) from pretty much any screen
++ X-Ray feature is awesome!

= screen is about the same as my K4NT

I'm going to keep using it for few days before I decide on which one to keep(NT/Touch). I think I'm probably going to keep the Touch, simply because the X-Ray feature alone out-weighs all other cons.
shinew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 04:10 PM   #44
SCION
Séduisant

I'm looking forward to the X-Ray feature as well. Stoked, actually. My local Best Buy should be getting their delivery today. I keep checking their inventory availability online.
Old 11-16-2011, 04:17 PM   #45
auburn1975
auburn1975 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 3
Because of delivery schedule being longer than I could wait, I went to Best Buy this morning for my new K-Touch. I am really WELL pleased. So even though I have a K3 and use Kindle Android Apps on my Samsung Galaxy Table, for reading books and also Audiable books, this one is almost everything I would want in an e-reader. I have only 3 things I wish Amazon to improve in a future software release ASAP or next time for the K-T; 1. NEED FOR improved text-to-voice quality/algorithms function (like the way expressionism are pronounced..."hum") as it is exactly as in the K3, I AM disappointed in this key Touch feature not being also improved; 2. Collection to sort on name and not last used; and 3. rubberized surface on front like the back of device as I would not have need for any other cover/skin to hold more securely & as lightweight as I could.

But in every other way, I really love how it functions and feels. GREAT, Great, great job Kindle Development Team...just need 2 little software improvement on the text-to-voice function.. how about it?

Last edited by auburn1975; 11-16-2011 at 04:48 PM.
auburn1975 is offline   Reply With Quote