Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 06-28-2016, 08:35 PM   #1
miomaz
miomaz knows what's going on.miomaz knows what's going on.miomaz knows what's going on.miomaz knows what's going on.miomaz knows what's going on.miomaz knows what's going on.miomaz knows what's going on.miomaz knows what's going on.miomaz knows what's going on.miomaz knows what's going on.miomaz knows what's going on.

Device: kindle 4.1.0
Programming Games for the Kindle (PW3 & others)

Hello,
I am considering programming a game for the Kindle, though I am not sure where to exactly begin.

I can code in C++ and some Java but I've only developed games for PC and to be honest I have no experience with the hardware side of things, which I assume is essential to programming anything for the Kindle.

In other words:
what programming language would one use?
are there any games' source code one could look at?

Good morrow.
miomaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 10:06 PM   #2
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
There are a couple games you can find linked from the master index sticky here (and from there to the master list of KUAL extensions).
As a general rule everything posted here comes with source code.

I suppose you could use any programming language as long as you can get it to compile and run on the Kindle but you will probably want to either use a Java kindlet or link to the gtk library from the builtin firmware.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-29-2016, 07:44 PM   #3
miomaz
miomaz knows what's going on.miomaz knows what's going on.miomaz knows what's going on.miomaz knows what's going on.miomaz knows what's going on.miomaz knows what's going on.miomaz knows what's going on.miomaz knows what's going on.miomaz knows what's going on.miomaz knows what's going on.miomaz knows what's going on.

Device: kindle 4.1.0
Thanks for the info. I'm no fan of java to be honest, I much prefer C++. I looked up the wikipedia entry for the gtk+ library: it is written in C.. which is good. Does the OS of the kindle use the same library available at gtk.org?
This library is for creating graphical user interfaces. Are there other libraries for handling basic drawing operations (the equivalent of, say, OpenGL, with much less baggage).
For the game I am programming it would make things look much nicer if I could do this.

If you're interested, I'm planning on making a game similar to NEO scavenger with elements from the game Dwarf fortress. In terms of complexity it will be much less so compared to Dwarf Fortress and I will not add any drawn game representations such as in NEO scavenger. The plan is to start out simple and to build upon that if the project turns out good.

Dwarf Fortress

Neo Scavenger:

edit: its really a shame that the kindle uses java for all the crap it does. The device is already quite resource limited and running in a VM is counter productive to say the least.
I found a website with some useful info on how to programm stuff for the kindle:
site

Last edited by miomaz; 06-29-2016 at 07:54 PM.
miomaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 07:54 PM   #4
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Why don't just review the libraries installed on your Kindle?

You will need to either jailbreak your Kindle so you can see the system libraries;
or
Download a system update_*.bin package from Amazon for the oldest version you intend to support and open it with KindleTool;
or
Read my thread on how to install/support (concurrently) another (different) set of system libraries.

It will not be a waste of your time, you'll learn things and get access to things you will be needing.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 10:07 PM   #5
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Doom has been ported to eink kindles, using dithering (and with sound too), as a native mode app. Twobob was working on that.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho....php?p=2268259

Last edited by geekmaster; 06-29-2016 at 10:14 PM.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert