Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

Old 10-24-2012, 05:03 PM   #61
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Verdant Skies was a selection in 2009; I think that means it can't be nominated again?
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 05:17 PM   #62
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
Verdant Skies was a selection in 2009; I think that means it can't be nominated again?
Is there a record of it ever winning? The only thing I see is a poll which shows it lost to Murder Must Advertise by Dorothy Sayers for the December 2009 MobileRead Book Club choice. The only rule we have is that if a book becomes fully nominated, then it will be ineligible for six months. It's the winning selections that never repeat.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 05:21 PM   #63
Synamon
Lunatic
Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite and Keyboard, Kobo Aura, iPad mini, iPod Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
Is there a record of it ever winning? The only thing I see is a poll which shows it lost to Murder Must Advertise by Dorothy Sayers for the December 2009 MobileRead Book Club choice. The only rule we have is that if a book becomes fully nominated, then it will be ineligible for six months. It's the winning selections that never repeat.
It shows up in the Book Club Selection List for October 2009.
Synamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 05:41 PM   #64
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

That's odd. It's showing it as being a co-winner of the October 2009 category, but the vote for October 2009 shows that Flash Forward by Robert J. Sawyer won handily. There was a discussion of Steve Jordan's Verdant Skies that month also, however, but as far as I can see, technically it wasn't the winner, even though many members decided to read it and BOb started a discussion thread on it.
Old 10-24-2012, 05:45 PM   #65
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
That's odd. It's showing it as being a co-winner of the October 2009 category, but the vote for October 2009 shows that Flash Forward by Robert J. Sawyer won handily. There was a discussion of Steve Jordan's Verdant Skies that month also, however, but as far as I can see, technically it wasn't the winner, even though many members decided to read it and BOb started a discussion thread on it.
Given all this, I think it doesn't have a chance to win. Better to let it go for another book.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 05:45 PM   #66
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
I assumed that Verdant Skies was a co-winner and a "real" selection, since it made the list. It happened to catch my eye as I was checking something else.

Carry on!
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 10:29 PM   #67
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: onyx boox poke 2 colour, kindle voyage
Tom, will you add these to the links for the vote?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sun surfer View Post
The Overdrive link for Cloud Atlas and the MR Library link for Deathworld are in post 3 thanks to John F. Here they are:

Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post

Cloud Atlas by David Mitchell (Overdrive)

Deathworld by Harry Harrison (MR library)

sun surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 10:52 PM   #68
GeckoFriend
Guru
GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad Mini4, Kindle Voyage
I will third Summer of Love.
GeckoFriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 11:03 PM   #69
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!

Quote:
Tom, will you add these to the links for the vote?
I think it might be best if I let John F do all the Overdrive posts in his post #3. I suspect if folks are depending on Overdrive as their only source, they may be in for a disappointment. For example: the Library of Philadelphia lists 15 copies of of Cloud Atlas copies to lend, of which 0 are available and there are 130 patrons on the waiting list. Better to list in my posts only those sources people provide for their nominations where the books are currently available for sale.

Last edited by WT Sharpe; 10-24-2012 at 11:06 PM.
Old 10-24-2012, 11:37 PM   #70
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I think it might be best if I let John F do all the Overdrive posts in his post #3. I suspect if folks are depending on Overdrive as their only source, they may be in for a disappointment. For example: the Library of Philadelphia lists 15 copies of of Cloud Atlas copies to lend, of which 0 are available and there are 130 patrons on the waiting list. Better to list in my posts only those sources people provide for their nominations where the books are currently available for sale.
The reason I mentioned about Overdrive first is because John F's post with links won't be in the vote thread, but that is fine if you don't want to use them. The reason I mentioned it again is because you listed Overdrive as a link for Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? in the confirmed nominations but left Cloud Atlas blank.

Also, I asked about adding the MR Library link for Deathworld which has also been left blank.
Old 10-24-2012, 11:41 PM   #71
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!

I'm only adding what members supply me. If you'd like to post the MR Library Deathworld links for the mobi, epub, or any other format we might have, I'll be happy to include them in the 1st and 2nd posts.

Edit: I see the offsite epub link is already listed from earlier.

Last edited by WT Sharpe; 10-24-2012 at 11:47 PM.
Old 10-24-2012, 11:46 PM   #72
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦

Quote:
I'm only adding what members supply me. If you'd like to post the MR Library Deathworld links for the mobi, epub, or any other format we might have, I'll be happy to include them in the 1st and 2nd posts.
You're confusing me! I've already posted the link twice, both times a repost of John F's link. Here it is again:

Old 10-24-2012, 11:48 PM   #73
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
Here's another link for Armageddon 2419 AD for Sony users.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...ghlight=Nowlan

PS - And here's the Feedbooks link for Kindle users.

http://www.feedbooks.com/book/2684
GA Russell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 11:49 PM   #74
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!

Quote:
You're confusing me! I've already posted the link twice, both times a repost of John F's link. Here it is again:

It's already listed.
Old 10-24-2012, 11:52 PM   #75
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦

Quote:
It's already listed.
It's not listed in the official choices post which I would think you'd use for the vote thread.

Tags
2012, book club, nominations, november