Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 11-17-2007, 08:32 AM   #1
DennisR
DennisR began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505
Total "Bricked" PRS-505?

I have had my 505 for about a month now and had no issues. Yesterday I turned it on and hit "resume reading" on my current book. It paused and the screen went a little funky on me, but finally went to the last read page. I read that page and hit the page turn button, and nothing happenned. I then just turned the power off and tried to turn it back on, but no joy.

I had not charged the battery for a couple days, but it was fully charged less than 3 days ago and seen little use so that should not be an issue. I have the AC adapter and usually just plug it in when I go to bed at night.

Okay -- fine, lets just do a reset via the magic button on the back. No joy again. After reading this forum a bit I plugged it in and let it charge for a couple of hours, then tried all above with no success, but now it comes up and says "Updating Firmware now". I left it that way overnight, and it still says that next morning. If I unplug it from AC or computer and hit reset button, it says, "Starting up....", then flashes back to that "Updating Firmware now ...." screen and stays there. The yellow indicator light on the top left is flashing a steady pattern, but like I said, I left it there all night long with no change.

If I connect it to the computer (Vista laptop), I get the little plug nd play tone, and a Windows Explorer window starts up and shows a single file called "Protected". In the eBook Library software, the Reader icon just says "Error" beside it.

Okay, so if I have it plugged into the computer and it says "Updating firmware now"....", and I then unplug from the computer, it quickly then says "Firmware update did not complete successfully. Please try again." The yellow light then stays flashing until I hit reset again, which turns the yellow light off. I can then hit the power button, the light goes solid yellow, device says "Starting up...", and the cycle starts up again.

So..., I am bricked. I have no idea why it is trying a firmware update, I certainly never started one. So is it automatic? I see nothing about an update being issued. I am dead in the water at this point. Is there a hard reset somehow that will reset it back to factory state? I have all my books I have bought on my computer still (by the way, I only had about 15 on the device).

Thank for any insight!

Dennis
DennisR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2007, 10:02 AM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I just did an update check and there is no new firmware update. Somehow your reader may think it has an incomplete or older firmware. If you are in the USA, I suggest you call your local SonyStyle store and see what they can do. Maybe they will swap it for a new one.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2007, 10:36 AM   #3
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
You might try the Hard Reset instructions for the 500, I don't know if it's changed for the 505, but it's probably worth a try. You can find them here.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2007, 03:38 PM   #4
DennisR

Thankls for the responses, but .....

No local SonyStyle store here, it would be a send it in repair.

The buttons on the 505 must be different than the 500, the hard reset for the 500 does not seem to be the same on the 505. Anyone know the hard reset process for the 505?
Old 11-17-2007, 03:57 PM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by DennisR View Post
Thankls for the responses, but .....

No local SonyStyle store here, it would be a send it in repair.

The buttons on the 505 must be different than the 500, the hard reset for the 500 does not seem to be the same on the 505. Anyone know the hard reset process for the 505?
Call Sony and ask.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 01:05 PM   #6
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Quote:
Took a bit of digging, but apparently the reason the old instructions aren't working is because the 505 goes through the boot sequence a lot faster, so if you do the "wait 30 seconds" step, you miss the window. Try using the same instructions, but hold the Mark & Vol+ buttons right after cycling the power switch (after pushing the reset button), that way you won't miss the window. I'll update the wiki now.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 09:52 AM   #7
DennisR

Well, I did call Sony support, and after an hour and a half holding (ouch) and trying different things, was told I have to send it in. It took 45 minutes to get to level 2 support, where I had to start all over again. They were trying to help, but 45 minutes to get to level 2 and then having to go over it all again really stunk. I have had it like 31 days, so no return.. grrrrrr. They did authorize the shipping, but say it is going to take 5-10 business days to repair.

Yes NatCh, you are correct on the reset process, but even this did not work on mine. It reboots, but continues to attempt some kind of firmware update which fails every time. Apparently the hard reset requires the firmware to be there (duhhh), and mine must be corrupt in some manner.

At any rate -- thanks for all the attempted solutions folks. I'll let you know what they say the problem and resolution is, just in case anyone else experiences this later.

Guess I will have to pick up a paperback or two for a while (gasp!). :-)
Old 11-20-2007, 12:10 PM   #8
Greg G
Groupie
Greg G is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle Papwerwhite
Quote:
Guess I will have to pick up a paperback or two for a while (gasp!). :-)
Nooo!!!

Costco has the 500 readers and an excellent return policy if you decide you prefer the 505 when it comes back...

-Greg
Greg G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 01:44 PM   #9
Quantum121
Quantum121 began at the beginning.

Device: prs-505
Hi, did anybody succeed in resolving this issue?
thanks
Quantum121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 05:29 AM   #10
pettitoes
pettitoes began at the beginning.

Device: SONY PRS 505
I also met this problem and I hope solution. Help me!
pettitoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 07:43 AM   #11
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
Quote:
Originally Posted by pettitoes View Post
I also met this problem and I hope solution. Help me!
Read the note here:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21337

Then, if that doesn't work, call Sony as described in the earlier posts in this thread. Good luck.
(And welcome to the forum.)
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 11:05 AM   #12
morrgrerg
morrgrerg began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS505
I have the same problem. Any resolution yet. I live in South Africa so it is gonna be pricey and lengthy to send back to US for repair/ swap. Have tried Hard Reset, Formatting (won't let me), charging with PSP charger, all the various solutions suggested.
morrgrerg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 08:20 AM   #13
luiswu
luiswu began at the beginning.

Did you ever get this problem solved?

I'm suffering the same problem and can't see any solution working from the various ones posted...
luiswu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 09:33 AM   #14
gwynevans
Wizzard
gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 2, iPhone 6s, Kindle Voyage & Kindle PaperWhite
What problem do you have? The Reader going into a "Firmware Update" mode?

Since the original post, there's been an official firmware update utility, which might provide a way of reflashing it, although I'd suggest that you investigate any warrenty/support options available first. If none available, then repost here with details of the device (version, etc) and problem.
gwynevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 08:28 AM   #15
DennisR

I had to send mine in for repair. Actually, they just replaced it. It only took about 5 days total. Mine has been fine since.