Notices

Old 04-27-2010, 08:29 PM   #1
Keef
Enthusiast
Keef began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Daily Reader
Sony Daily Reader 900 Review

Pros: Great design, looks great, and I love the size
Cons: In a year or two, the E Reader will offer what we really want.

First off, I am amazed how many complain about the glare on the Sony Daily Reader. You don't spend $400 on something without first trying it out. If the glare bothers you, don't buy it. Sony even has a return policy. So if you don't like it, return it and get the Nook or Kindle. Yes there is some glare, but that is only when the sun or light in a room is at a certain angle. If you just move it slightly, the glare goes away. The Daily Reader is the sharpest looking E Reader out there. Very nice cover, nice lay out, larger screen than the Kindle so you have more words on your screen, and of course being able to read horizontal or vertical is nice. The important thing is, it is not too big either. Being able to download books right from your E Reader is a must, so I was not attracted to the older Sony E Readers. I did a close comparison to the Kindle before I purchased the Sony. Yes the Kindle does not have such glare since it does not have a touch screen. The background is more white than the grey background on the Sony. But like what others have said, I found the grey background easier on my eyes. Before I purchased the Sony, I had a friend at work who had a Sony, and I took it outside to see if I could read from it in the sun. The answer was a clear Yes! Not only can you buy books from the Sony site, but also Google books. I really don't want my E Reader to have a browser. If I want to go on the internet, I will use my I phone or a computer. Some want a product that does everything. The problem with products like that is they do not do everything great, you drain the battery a lot more, and dedicated units always work better. The purpose to buy an E Reader is to read books, and this Sony does it very well. Since none have a backlight, you will need a small light to read in the dark. In a year or two, they will have E Readers that will allow us to have color screens, it will work faster with 4G, and they will work out the battery life issue. But for what the Sony 900 offers you now, it is quite enjoyable, and it works well. Yes it would be nicer if the screen would respond just as fast as my Iphone. But the technology is not there yet, but in a year or two it will be. Does that mean you should wait until a better one come along? My answer is no. It is very enjoyable reading books on the Daily Reader and others will be jealous that you have such a great product. The Kindle and Daily Reader are both good and you can enjoy either one. Just pick the one that looks, feels and offers what is most important to you. Kindle's turn page buttons I found I would hit by accident, and the keyboard takes up too much room....I wanted more screen space. But hey the Kindle is a good product as well. Hope that helps you guys and ladies out there.

Price: It started out at $399 which is expensive compared to the Kindle. However the Sony also includes a nice cover and carrying case. After I purchased my Daily Reader, Sony dropped the price to $349. I called them up and they gave me a $50 credit on my Sony credit card as I just purchased it before the price drop. Thank you Sony. I found also that the customer service in the States is pretty good for their E Readers. I had several questions and they were very helpful. The Sony book store is weak and has more current books that are out. Thankfully the Google books.com offers us a lot more books. The books they don't have you can get from places like booksonboard.com
Keef is offline   Reply With Quote