Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 09-22-2010, 06:51 AM   #76
Manichean
Wizard
Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Cybook Gen3
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaley View Post
I am not sure what you are trying to do. Are you setting the title?

In any event, you get one source field and one destination field. Both must be text type. It sounds like you want two source fields, series and series_index? Or perhaps even three: title, series, and series index? This was what the 'input template' was for. As noted above, I didn't end up building that because of problems with multiple-value columns (tags, for example). The tags source field is not the same as a template containing {tags}. In the tags==source case, the expression is applied on a tag-by-tag basis. In the template case, the expression would be applied once across the entire set of tags. It it hard to explain the two different behaviors.

Do I have votes? Should the template be provided, even though {tags} is not the same as the 'tags' source field?
What I was trying to do, exactly, is using series and series index to prepend the title field, as I automatically wanted to create the {series} {series_index} - {title} arrangement that I like for series books.
Actually, never mind, it just occured to me that I can do this by creating one of those composed custom columns.
Manichean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 07:05 AM   #77
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manichean View Post
Actually, never mind, it just occured to me that I can do this by creating one of those composed custom columns.
For a lot of reasons I agree with dwanthy's opinion. The complexity is already extremely high, and templates would make it worse.

However, I am willing to add composite columns as a source field. It provides a template facility, but it does so in a way that makes the choice between source fields explicit and obvious. Of course, the composite fields cannot be a destination, and wouldn't be offered as one.

Imagine you set up a composite as '{series} - {series_index} {title}'. Specify this as the source. Use a regexp '^(- )**' and a null replacement. Set the destination to title (or wherever). For books with series Foo index 1, the result is 'Foo - 1 - Title'. Without series, you get 'Title'.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-22-2010, 07:18 AM   #78
Manichean
Wizard
Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaley View Post
For a lot of reasons I agree with dwanthy's opinion. The complexity is already extremely high, and templates would make it worse.

However, I am willing to add composite columns as a source field. It provides a template facility, but it does so in a way that makes the choice between source fields explicit and obvious. Of course, the composite fields cannot be a destination, and wouldn't be offered as one.

Imagine you set up a composite as '{series} - {series_index} {title}'. Specify this as the source. Use a regexp '^(- )**' and a null replacement. Set the destination to title (or wherever). For books with series Foo index 1, the result is 'Foo - 1 - Title'. Without series, you get 'Title'.
I don't think it's really worth the trouble, if it's that complex. It works fine for me as is, it just requires a bit manual labour.
Old 09-23-2010, 05:29 PM   #79
Jamz
Jamz began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
I got lost in this post somewhere in the middle lol

So, I THINK what I'm looking for is what you are discussing and isn't available yet?

If I want to use the "Search and Replace" to change all the titles of my books from "{Title}" to "[{Series}] {Title}", I still have to wait, right?

The regular expression is simple "^" but didn't look like you can use metadata in the replace section yet, correct?
Jamz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 07:09 PM   #80
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamz View Post

So, I THINK what I'm looking for is what you are discussing and isn't available yet?

If I want to use the "Search and Replace" to change all the titles of my books from "{Title}" to "[{Series}] {Title}", I still have to wait, right?

The regular expression is simple "^" but didn't look like you can use metadata in the replace section yet, correct?
Why would yo do that; Calibre book-list already has both

The Save to Device (or Disk) Template controls the Pathname when Exported.. Internal (under the skirts) and External, need not be the same.
Just change your Export (save) template. (very soon there will be MORE template options, thanks to C Haley and crew )
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-23-2010, 07:09 PM   #81
Manichean
Wizard

Quote:

You'd have to use a (temporary) custom column to concatenate those two fields, I think. That feature is currently only available in the beta.
Old 09-24-2010, 07:06 AM   #82
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Is available in the beta release
Quote:
No, other than perhaps until the beta is production.
Quote:
You want to *permanently* change the title of your books, yes? Two ways to do it.
1) use source field of series, use destination field of title, use prepend, and add the brackets in the RE
2) create a composite column that displays what you want, then use it at the source.

I am not sure why you are trying to do this, so I can't tell you which way is better or if there is an alternate solution.
Old 09-25-2010, 02:03 PM   #83
Jamz
Jamz began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Thanks for the responses. I'm a little nervouse about installing the Beta so I'll wait for the full release.

As for the "reason", it's simple. I want to read my books on my Kindle in order of series.

As we all know, The Kindle sucks in this regard as it has no support of Series info/tags. I don't like the "change pub date/sort by date" method.

And sure, I changed my "send to device template" so when the books are saved on the Kindle, the series info is in the filename. Great. Awesome. Does me no good, as the Kindle is getting the title from the Metadata.

Now, if there was a "set metadata ON send to device" that would work. But for now, I need to change the actual title of the book to "[01] Storm Front". I'd rather it not be changed in Calibre but I can deal with that if that's what it takes for me to get the Title change on the Kindle.
Jamz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 03:31 PM   #84
chaley
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Thanks for the responses. I'm a little nervouse about installing the Beta so I'll wait for the full release.
Apologies for sounding snarky, but that means that all the rest of us must test for you.

You could help the effort by testing on a copy of your library. There may be things that you do that no one else does, or things you want that no one has expressed. We won't know about these unless you try. And once it is released, changing behavior is much harder.

Tags
metadata, replace, search