Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 11-14-2006, 03:35 PM   #1
jsuplido
@jsuplido
jsuplido began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone, PRS-300
Fictionwise and the Sony Reader

I usually buy from Fictionwise but was disappointed not to see Sony Reader support. Is there a way to let Sony "open up" and allow other sites to sell Sony Reader content?
jsuplido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 03:49 PM   #2
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Well, since ManyBooks.net manages to put their content into a Reader compatible format, I'd guess that Fictionwise could too, the sticking point would most likely be that Fictionwise would want to have some way for their DRM to work with the stuff they sold in that format. I don't know what would be involved in that, or even if Fictionwise would want to mess with it in the first place.

In any case, it wouldn't hurt to ask, I suppose.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-14-2006, 03:57 PM   #3
cfc
cfc began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2, Sony PRS-300, Sony PRS-350
Why would they want to use DRM? At least for their multiformat books.
cfc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 04:01 PM   #4
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Ah, I hadn't looked closely enough to notice that their MF books weren't DRM'd (haven't used FictionWise). That does put rather a different light on things then, doesn't it?
Old 11-14-2006, 04:55 PM   #5
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
This has been discussed just two days ago:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...96&postcount=7
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-14-2006, 05:24 PM   #6
NatCh
Gizmologist

Thanks, igorsk, I totally missed that somehow.
Old 11-14-2006, 05:25 PM   #7
jsuplido
@jsuplido

Quote:
Originally Posted by igorsk
This has been discussed just two days ago:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...96&postcount=7
Thanks too... missed this too.

The more info we give others about the Sony Reader, the better.
Old 11-15-2006, 12:00 AM   #8
Michele
Addict
Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
I sent Fictionwise an email when the Readers first came out. I don't think I ever heard back from them.
Michele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006, 12:07 AM   #9
NatCh
Gizmologist

Like the new avatar, Michele.

Maybe we should all contact FictionWise and ask after it....
Old 11-15-2006, 01:14 AM   #10
sartori
Connoisseur
sartori began at the beginning.

To read the fictionwise multi-format books on my reader I'm currently manually creating lrs files and then using lrs2lrf to compile them.

It takes about 30 minutes to convert a decent length book by hand.

My process is :

Download the Microsoft Reader version of the book (DRM free ones only)
Use convertlit to extract the contents to html
Using PSPad (a nice free text editor) clean up the text to remove html stuff, blank lines, extra spaces with search and replace etc.
Copy each chapter one-by-one over to a template lrs file I created.
Compile the lrs file using lrs2lrf.

It's a lot of work but the results are great - nice paragraph indents, able to resize the text, able to bookmark pages.

I currently playing around in php to see if I can automate a lot of this (although I stumped about writing out em-dashes to a text file - any ideas would be appreciated).

Ultimately I would like to be able to upload the extracted html file - mark the chapter starts and have a nicely formatted lrs back ready to compile.

btw PSPad is a great editor it has some nice features like automatically removing redundant space - automatically removing all html tags.
sartori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006, 02:10 AM   #11
tcv
Addict
tcv will become famous soon enoughtcv will become famous soon enoughtcv will become famous soon enoughtcv will become famous soon enoughtcv will become famous soon enoughtcv will become famous soon enough

Kudos to you for coming up with a clean, reproducible way to make Sony compatible books. But ugh...
tcv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006, 07:33 AM   #12
jsuplido
@jsuplido

Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh

Maybe we should all contact FictionWise and ask after it....
I heard from Fictionwise. It's seems that Sony is not allowing them to sell Reader formatted books.

Oh well, our Reader is like the iPod after all ... where our only source of most of our music is the iTunes Music Store.
Old 11-15-2006, 08:26 AM   #13
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsuplido
I heard from Fictionwise. It's seems that Sony is not allowing them to sell Reader formatted books.

Oh well, our Reader is like the iPod after all ... where our only source of most of our music is the iTunes Music Store.
That's sad! Castrating just after birth!
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006, 09:38 AM   #14
rmeister0
Addict
rmeister0 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rmeister0 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rmeister0 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsuplido

I think that's a red herring; I'm not sure how Sony could stop them, except by threatening them with unauthorized use of a trademark.

If Fictionwise does the conversions, they could easily sell a Reader optimised PDF (call it 6" Greyscale PDF).
rmeister0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006, 10:47 AM   #15
Xenophon
curmudgeon
Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, (ex)nook, (ex)PRS-700, (ex)PRS-500
I sent an eMail to Fictionwise yesterday noting that I wanted Sony Reader support, and that Baen's .rtf files work just fine. I suggested that they consider that route (or .pdf)for their multi-format eBooks.

They responded last night that they are actively considering how to support the Sony Reader. They didn't say which approach they will take, but did say that they expected to have a solution "soon" (whatever that means). I suspect that a groundswell of interest (especially from people who are already customers of theirs) might help the solution arrive sooner.

Xenophon
Xenophon is offline   Reply With Quote