Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 01-22-2010, 02:27 PM   #1
LadyLou
Enthusiast
LadyLou doesn't litterLadyLou doesn't litter

Device: Sony Touch
Moving The Library Files

I had spent several days working on my library and had copied it to an external drive in anticipation of a new computer. I called the file Calibre Library.

The new computer was set up (old Vista, new Windows 7), and Calibre duly installed. On the preference (and set up wizard) I entered the path to the Library and nothing happened! I have now resorted to having to re-enter each book file seperately and re-do all the metafile downloads. So far I have only managed 150 books.

Yesterday the program (Calibre) kept 'not responding' and I had to stop what I was doing. It now seems to be ok today. I decided to load the 150 files onto my Sony Touch. This worked except the book covers did not get put on the reader.

Whilst typing this a thought did enter my mind - the drive letter of my external drive changed between the 2 computers, could that be the problem? I am using the new drive letter?

My other problem seems to have been covered elsewhere, I had been going to ask if I could install 2 calibre programs to to run 2 seperate libraries.

Any help would be most appreciated.
LadyLou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 02:55 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyLou View Post
I had spent several days working on my library and had copied it to an external drive in anticipation of a new computer. I called the file Calibre Library.

The new computer was set up (old Vista, new Windows 7), and Calibre duly installed. On the preference (and set up wizard) I entered the path to the Library and nothing happened! I have now resorted to having to re-enter each book file seperately and re-do all the metafile downloads. So far I have only managed 150 books.

Yesterday the program (Calibre) kept 'not responding' and I had to stop what I was doing. It now seems to be ok today. I decided to load the 150 files onto my Sony Touch. This worked except the book covers did not get put on the reader.

Whilst typing this a thought did enter my mind - the drive letter of my external drive changed between the 2 computers, could that be the problem? I am using the new drive letter?

My other problem seems to have been covered elsewhere, I had been going to ask if I could install 2 calibre programs to to run 2 seperate libraries.

Any help would be most appreciated.
I am not a W7 user.
Does the files have proper Reading and writing rights ?
Could your External drive letter be changing with each boot? In XP you can set it to a fixed, unused letter with the disk management tool. I will assume W7 did not remove that feature
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-22-2010, 04:12 PM   #3
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
As long as you copied all the files in the Calibre library including the metadata.db file then you should not have to re-enter any data - simply pointing Calibre at the new location should do the trick.

You might want to check that you have full read-write access to all the folders and files at the new location. If that is not the case it might explain your symptoms.

If you want to have 2 separate libraries, then you do not need two instances of Calibre installed (and I also doubt it would work anyway). The answer is to have two shortcuts for launching Calibre and pass in the location of the library to use with each shortcut using the
Code:
 --with-library library_full_path
runtime parameter at the end of the command used to launch Calibre.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 12:14 PM   #4
LadyLou
Enthusiast
LadyLou doesn't litterLadyLou doesn't litter

Device: Sony Touch
OK, many thanks, I think I have the problems sorted now.
LadyLou is offline   Reply With Quote