Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 12-30-2009, 10:17 AM   #1
Baumi
Connoisseur
Baumi has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Baumi has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Baumi has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle DXG, Cybook G3
Question Directory structure on Cybooks

Hi,

I know about the rationale behind calibre not supporting custom folder arrangements on the computer, and Kovid's reasoning that Calibre's interface is superior to any folder organization makes sense to me.

I wonder, however, if there's a way to customize the way calibre stores books on external devices. Case in point: Bookeen's new Mobipocket firmware supports folder navigation, but calibre's tree is less than ideal for that. E.g. it's inconvenient that each book is in its own folder, that there's no way to figure out which books belong to the same series and in which order they should be read, etc.

I noticed that it's possible to customize folder structure by using the export dialog. Obviously, I could just use that to save books on the Cybook, but it'd be much more elegant, if the file structure for calibre's "Send to device" function could be customized.

Is that already possible, and - if not - could it be implemented at all, or are there technological or design-philosophical barriers?

Thanks again for a great piece of software, Kovid!

Last edited by Baumi; 12-30-2009 at 10:19 AM. Reason: typos
Baumi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 11:19 AM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baumi View Post
Hi,

I know about the rationale behind calibre not supporting custom folder arrangements on the computer, and Kovid's reasoning that Calibre's interface is superior to any folder organization makes sense to me.

I wonder, however, if there's a way to customize the way calibre stores books on external devices. Case in point: Bookeen's new Mobipocket firmware supports folder navigation, but calibre's tree is less than ideal for that. E.g. it's inconvenient that each book is in its own folder, that there's no way to figure out which books belong to the same series and in which order they should be read, etc.

I noticed that it's possible to customize folder structure by using the export dialog. Obviously, I could just use that to save books on the Cybook, but it'd be much more elegant, if the file structure for calibre's "Send to device" function could be customized.

Is that already possible, and - if not - could it be implemented at all, or are there technological or design-philosophical barriers?

Thanks again for a great piece of software, Kovid!
Calibre is great.
I warped the file output to make my device usable to myself because it had no other provision except folders and Human Memory to locate titles.

Use the Save to Disk (customizable in Preferences) instead of the save to device. My top level is Series (or dummy: 00NoSeries)
I use the series_index as a prefix to the title (folder)(and the Calibre id as a suffix, just because...).
The various Title formats-pieces go into the folder (and that was the only place I included the Authors name as it could mess the sort up).
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-30-2009, 12:39 PM   #3
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Customizing send to device is on the todo list.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 03:03 PM   #4
Baumi
Connoisseur
Baumi has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Baumi has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Baumi has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle DXG, Cybook G3
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Customizing send to device is on the todo list.
Good to know. Thank you!
Baumi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 07:00 PM   #5
Manichean
Wizard
Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Cybook Gen3
It is possible to tell Calibre which folder on the Cybook to put a book in using tags. If a book has a tag starting with a slash character ("/" without the quotes), it will be put in a folder of that name. For example, a book that has a tag "/Fiction" will be put in a folder named "Fiction" on the Cybook. (To clarify, the "Fiction" folder would be created as a subfolder of "EBooks" in either the main memory or the SD card.)
That may not be a customization of the send-to-device- feature, but it works.
Also, I'm not sure if this is an official "feature" since this is very seldom mentioned. I read about it on this forum somewhere, but forgot where.
Manichean is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-01-2010, 07:55 PM   #6
user_none
Sigil & calibre developer
user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manichean View Post
Also, I'm not sure if this is an official "feature" since this is very seldom mentioned. I read about it on this forum somewhere, but forgot where.
It is an official feature just seldom used. It provides very explicit file placement.

I do have good news. The changes for send to device supporting a customizable location string like save to disk has been merged. It should be appearing the next release.
user_none is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 09:52 PM   #7
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by user_none View Post
It is an official feature just seldom used. It provides very explicit file placement.

I do have good news. The changes for send to device supporting a customizable location string like save to disk has been merged. It should be appearing the next release.
Old 01-03-2010, 11:41 PM   #8
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
Originally Posted by user_none View Post

There is a bug in the windows version .6.32 hint: applies to both file and device

{series_index:03n} is invalid

This works
{series_index:0>3s} is valid
Old 01-04-2010, 02:35 AM   #9
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Thanks, fixed.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote