Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > PocketBook

Notices

Old 01-24-2014, 10:48 PM   #1
kerravonsen
kerravonsen began at the beginning.

Device: BeBook Neo, Pocketbook 623 Touch Lux
Lightbulb Opening Ebooks from within HTML document

Various folks (see https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...72#post2675172) including me, desire the feature that one can open a HTML file and click on a link to a local ebook file (e.g. an EPUB file) and have that ebook open properly. Simple, yes? But the HTML browser on the pocketbook 623 doesn't do that, it can't cope.

Neither can the enhanced Links browser (which I downloaded from the Russian forum, no don't ask me to give you the link I can't remember it). Oh, it can find and open the file, but it doesn't understand EPUB and doesn't open the file with an EPUB reader program; it tries to open the file itself and one gets garbage on the screen.

However, I've found a workaround!

It seems that if one opens the HTML file with fbreader, it DOES understand clicking on a local file AND opening it with the EPUB reader program. It's even clever enough to use whatever program one has set as the default EPUB reader, even when that default isn't fbreader itself.

Yes, it's a trade-off, because fbreader isn't really that great at displaying HTML files (for some reason, it splits them over multiple pages when it doesn't need to), but at least it does treat local links correctly. A compromise could be that you don't set fbreader as the default HTML reader, but use "open with" when you navigate to a HTML file which you know has local links in it that you want to use (such as a HTML catalogue of your books).

I thought some folks would be interested to know about this workaround.
kerravonsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 12:43 AM   #2
rkomar
Wizard
rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, PB 902, PRS-T1, PB 623, PB 840, PB 633
I'm curious as to why you like opening books this way? I guess you can organize your books as you like this way, but you have to put in the work of actually creating and installing the HTML documents. Personally, I have no problem with just using the Library app to find books. What's the draw of the HTML menus?
rkomar is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-25-2014, 09:03 PM   #3
kerravonsen
kerravonsen began at the beginning.

Device: BeBook Neo, Pocketbook 623 Touch Lux
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkomar View Post
I'm curious as to why you like opening books this way? I guess you can organize your books as you like this way, but you have to put in the work of actually creating and installing the HTML documents. Personally, I have no problem with just using the Library app to find books. What's the draw of the HTML menus?
1. As you say, organizing my books as I like.
2. Because I already had them organized that way.

Before I had an e-reader, I would read my ebooks on my netbook, and I had them all set up in a wiki, the way I liked. That enabled me to add comments and different kinds of tags, and do searches the way I wanted. I didn't want to lose all that information. I do lose the search with the Pocketbook, but it's still better than having to, say, import a thousand books into Calibre, one at a time, and lose all the extra information I had.

3. Installing the HTML documents is trivial; everything is in one directory (the HTML indexes and the ebooks both) and you just copy it all onto a microSD card.
kerravonsen is offline   Reply With Quote