Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 04-30-2014, 08:58 AM   #1
hleo12
Guru
hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo (deceased), Kindle 4th, Kindle Basic 10th Generation
Sign in problem?

Hi guys.

Recently my Glo has encountered some screw ups. Like books will take time to load, sometimes minutes. Then some general slowing down. And so on. I've read a few posts here that it might be because of a bad database. And it seems the easiest fix is to sign in and sign out of Kobo.

So I did it.

But then it takes like 30 minutes for that circle thing to go on and on and on, then it will just give some error about my network connection. So I have to start over again.

I only have 300 sideloaded books and some free kepubs from kobo.

Does it really take that long? And is it safe to turn off my Glo while that circle thing is going on?
hleo12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 09:17 AM   #2
hleo12
Guru
hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Auto correct does it again...
Advert
Old 04-30-2014, 09:26 AM   #3
hleo12
Guru

Okay, I thought signing out wouldn't delete your sideloaded books? All that was left after getting back to the home page was the books I had on my sd card...
Old 04-30-2014, 09:50 AM   #4
filmo
Wizard
filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Sony T1, Kobo Mini
Side loaded books on SD card stay when you sign out. All books on Kobo device memory are deleted. If your books are bought from Kobo and directly loaded from Kobo onto the reader sync with Kobo will again load the books. Books downloaded to ADE (Adobe Digital Editions) should be loaded again with ADE or with Calibre if DRM was removed and they were loaded into Calibre Library before for transfer to your Kobo.
filmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 08:47 PM   #5
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
With a logout, the sideloaded books on the device shouldn't be touched. They are usually added back to the library after logging in again. I have seen it add these books after a power cycle or connect to USB.

Books sideloaded via ADE are probably handled differently. I don't know if the logout removes the books or if they are ignored during the processing. But, I am sure they won't be readable.

I think the downloaded kepubs are removed. When you login, a few are downloaded and the rest are added to the library so you can download them. This has changed over the firmware. Older firmware downloaded everything, newer do the partial download. But, the newer firmware might not remove the existing files and add them if they are owned by the new user.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-30-2014, 09:21 PM   #6
TechniSol
GranPohbah-Fezzes r cool!
TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STRs, Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo
Darn, I thought the Sing In was a new feature in firmware 3.3.0!

OK Kobo... ;-)
TechniSol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 09:55 PM   #7
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
I think the downloaded kepubs are removed. When you login, a few are downloaded and the rest are added to the library so you can download them. This has changed over the firmware. Older firmware downloaded everything, newer do the partial download. But, the newer firmware might not remove the existing files and add them if they are owned by the new user.
3.3.0 doesn't keep downloaded true kepubs on sign out/in. When you sign back in it only automatically downloads the "most recent" 5 books. Calibre created kepubs and (at least) non-drm epub should still be there (based on personal experience).
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 12:22 AM   #8
hleo12
Guru

Thanks for the replies guys.

What happened was, after I signed in, my Glo acted as if I just did a factory reset. I even checked my device info and saw the memory was mostly free.

Anyway, I Glo to Calibre, it processed some Metadata then disconnected. Then my library magically appeared. I checked the jobs on Calibre and it didn't push any books to my Glo.

The only sad thing is, I lost all of my bookmarks and reading positions...
Old 05-01-2014, 12:39 AM   #9
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
For future reference, you CAN use the Kobo Utilities plugin for calibre to save (and restore) reading locations and status; I use it all the time when I rebuild as I test things.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 03:12 AM   #10
hleo12
Guru

Any tutorials on that one? I can't seem to make it work... Whenever I plug my kobo to Calibre, it seems like it's automatically storing the reading posisitions, but I tried to restore them after signing back in, but it didn't work.

And it's happening again. It seems that it I put my Glo to sleep for an extended period of time, whatever book I'm reading won't open and will just get stuck. I have to press that reset button at the bottom.

I'm more inclined to believe that a factory reset is my only option...

Last edited by hleo12; 05-01-2014 at 03:15 AM.
Old 05-01-2014, 03:43 AM   #11
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by hleo12 View Post
Any tutorials on that one? I can't seem to make it work... Whenever I plug my kobo to Calibre, it seems like it's automatically storing the reading posisitions, but I tried to restore them after signing back in, but it didn't work.
All you need to do is create the custom columns and configure the plugin to use them. After that, a store should should copy the status from the device into the columns. A restores should do the reverse.

You can test this easily. Open a book on the device and then connect to calibre to store the reading location. Then check that the percent read, the last read date and the location columns have been updated. The latter won't mean much, but it should have a value. Then disconnect the device, open the book and go to a different page. Move enough that the percent read changes. After that, connect to the PC and wait for the reading status to be retrieved. When the confirmation dialog is shown, check that there are differences but cancel the store so that the library is not updated. Then, select the book and do a restore. Eject and open the book to see if you are back the the previous position. If that doesn't work, tell me and we'll look into what happened.
Quote:
And it's happening again. It seems that it I put my Glo to sleep for an extended period of time, whatever book I'm reading won't open and will just get stuck. I have to press that reset button at the bottom.
I see that occasionally over night. It happens less than once a week. I usually assume it that the sync failed somehow and hung the device.
Quote:
I'm more inclined to believe that a factory reset is my only option...
Yes, there is just enough going on to make me think this would be a good idea. It could be that a firmware updated didn't happen completely. Reapplying the firmware version can solve some issues like this. What firmware version are you on? When was the last factory reset?
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 04:59 AM   #12
hleo12
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
Yes, there is just enough going on to make me think this would be a good idea. It could be that a firmware updated didn't happen completely. Reapplying the firmware version can solve some issues like this. What firmware version are you on? When was the last factory reset?
My last reset was in Feb, after I bought the device. It was on 3.1, before 3.2. And now, it seems that 3.3 is giving me the most headaches.

I just need to back up the reading locations first...