Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 04-06-2013, 02:45 PM   #1
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Synopsis display bug, and workaround.

I noticed that the synopsis for a few of my books was not being displayed correctly on my Glo. It was being truncated to two pages, and in some cases part of the first page was repeated at the beginning of the second page.

The synopsis html didn't contain anything unusual, just plain <div>, <p> and <i> tags, and the text had nothing but letters and ordinary punctuation. I checked the .opf file in the .epub after it had been sent to the device (by Calibre), but it was not corrupted in any way.

The problem seems to be related to paragraphs that begin on or near the last line of a page, perhaps something to do with the widows/orphans bug. The workaround I found was to either merge paragraphs or split a paragraph into two to change the end position. Then the synopsis displayed correctly.

As an example, here is a synopsis that did not display correctly on my Glo:
Spoiler:
Code:
<div><p><i>Swords and Deviltry</i>, the first book of Leiber's landmark series, introduces us to a strange world where our two strangers find the familiar in themselves and discover the icy power of female magic. Three master-magician femme-fatales and a sprightly lad illuminate the bonds between father and son, the relationship between the bravado of the imagination, and the courage of fools.</p>
<p>A hedge wizard explains the cold war between the sexes. Mouse and Fafhrd meet again and learn the truth of how Mouse became the Gray Mouser. Together they traverse the smoke and mirrors of Lankhmar learning more and more of the foggy world in which they live, mapping the sinister silent symptoms of the never-ending night-smog.</p>
<p>They follow the night-smog's relation to the region's longing for larceny and the hazy opiate of vanity. Last but certainly not least, they experience the pleasures and pains of the City of Sevenscore Thousand Smokers that will lead them to countless more adventures and misadventures.</p></div>

And here is the changed synopsis that displays OK:
Spoiler:
Code:
<div><p><i>Swords and Deviltry</i>, the first book of Leiber's landmark series, introduces us to a strange world where our two strangers find the familiar in themselves and discover the icy power of female magic.</p>
<p>Three master-magician femme-fatales and a sprightly lad illuminate the bonds between father and son, the relationship between the bravado of the imagination, and the courage of fools.</p>
<p>A hedge wizard explains the cold war between the sexes. Mouse and Fafhrd meet again and learn the truth of how Mouse became the Gray Mouser. Together they traverse the smoke and mirrors of Lankhmar learning more and more of the foggy world in which they live, mapping the sinister silent symptoms of the never-ending night-smog.</p>
<p>They follow the night-smog's relation to the region's longing for larceny and the hazy opiate of vanity. Last but certainly not least, they experience the pleasures and pains of the City of Sevenscore Thousand Smokers that will lead them to countless more adventures and misadventures.</p></div>

Last edited by GeoffR; 04-06-2013 at 06:22 PM. Reason: The example has a paragraph that begins (not ends) on the last line of the synopis page.
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 11:26 AM   #2
Anak
Fanatic
Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Just changing the font size also solves this problem. Not just for the <p> tag but also for <i>, <b>, <small>.
<p style="font-size:.75em">
<i style="font-size:.75em">
<b style="font-size:.75em">
Anak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert