Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 06-09-2012, 10:54 AM   #16
silver18
THE NOOB
silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch 5.3.2
Quote:
Originally Posted by eureka View Post
Use the absolute path:
Code:
/mnt/us/unrar e /mnt/us/example.rar
I get a Permission Denied error...

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
But unzip'ing the file takes time and file space.
If your Kindle supports FUSE ( and I think it does), then you just have to mount the *.zip file like any other filesystem device:
http://code.google.com/p/fuse-zip/
Once you have that installed on your Kindle.
Your application program will never know the difference between a *.zip file and the for-real filesystem on /mnt/us.
Nice!!!
I need to study it....so many thing to know...
silver18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 11:01 AM   #17
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by silver18 View Post
I get a Permission Denied error...
Use the "ls -l" (-ell) command to list the permissions of both unrar and the archive.

The manual extraction from the *.deb probably didn't set the execute bit on unrar:
Code:
chmod +x unrar
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-09-2012, 11:04 AM   #18
silver18
THE NOOB
silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Unrar has 0755...
And I can't change it to 0777...
Old 06-09-2012, 11:10 AM   #19
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Unrar has 0755...
And I can't change it to 0777...
755 is good enough, execute permission for anyone.

Now check example.rar permissions, looking for read permissions (digits will contain '4' in them).

Cheatsheet:
4 - read
2 - write
1 - execute
for a total of 7 in each digit postition (plus other stuff, ot here).
I.E: 5 == read, execute
Old 06-09-2012, 11:13 AM   #20
silver18
THE NOOB

Also rar file is 755....
Unzip, in /usr/bin is 777
Advert
Old 06-09-2012, 11:47 AM   #21
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Also rar file is 755....
Unzip, in /usr/bin is 777
Which is either an error or just the permissions of a symbolic link to Busybox.

Do you have write permission on the destination the extracted files will be written to?

Hint: if you can create a new, empty file with 'touch filename.txt' then you do have write permission there. (and 'rm filename.txt' when done with it).
Old 06-09-2012, 12:05 PM   #22
silver18
THE NOOB

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
Which is either an error or just the permissions of a symbolic link to Busybox.

Do you have write permission on the destination the extracted files will be written to?

Hint: if you can create a new, empty file with 'touch filename.txt' then you do have write permission there. (and 'rm filename.txt' when done with it).
Everything is ok. I can read/write in /mnt/us....
Anyway, I tried to get rw permission on root (mntroot rw), nothing changed!
I downloaded this package
Old 06-09-2012, 12:17 PM   #23
eureka
but forgot what it's like
eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Everything is ok. I can read/write in /mnt/us....
Anyway, I tried to get rw permission on root (mntroot rw), nothing changed!
I downloaded this package
I've downloaded the same package, took unrar-nonfree binary, copied it to /mnt/us on KT, then tried to execute /mnt/us/unrar-nonfree e /mnt/us/example.rar (while being in temporary, manually created /mnt/us/t directory). Archive was unpacked without problems.

example.rar had been taken from first Google result for example rar query.

I think, I can't help you any further.
eureka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 12:25 PM   #24
silver18
THE NOOB

Finally I got it working....
I had to unpack it again using another online unpacker service...

Now it works really fine!

Thanks to everyone!

Last question:
if I run unrar from /mnt/us, everything works, but if I run it from /mnt/base-us, I get again the permission error...Why?
Old 06-09-2012, 12:36 PM   #25
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Finally I got it working....
I had to unpack it again using another online unpacker service...

Now it works really fine!

Thanks to everyone!

Last question:
if I run unrar from /mnt/us, everything works, but if I run it from /mnt/base-us, I get again the permission error...Why?
different filesystem, different permissions.

Do the "touch & rm (remove)" check to see if you can write in that part of the tree.

Note: You can rename that binary from unrar-nonfree to something else (unrar maybe?) That is just a bit of en_Debian style naming.
Old 06-09-2012, 12:37 PM   #26
eureka
but forgot what it's like
eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
/mnt/base-us is mounted with noexec option.
eureka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 12:38 PM   #27
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
/mnt/base-* mounts are always READ-ONLY. The mount points without "base-" are the writable mount points.

It is a bad idea to mount a partition writeable twice with different mount points.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 12:40 PM   #28
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by eureka View Post
/mnt/base-us is mounted with noexec option.
Good point, I forgot to mention checking for that permission.
Hmm... But the message should have been different. Could Silver be editing these error messages before posting? Naw, he wouldn't do that to us, would he?
Old 06-09-2012, 12:42 PM   #29
silver18
THE NOOB

I always worked in base-us folder....create and delete files wasn't ever a problem!!
I get the permission denied error only if working in base-us, but not in us.
I can't understand why, as I can do whatever I want in base-us!
Old 06-09-2012, 12:49 PM   #30
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
I always worked in base-us folder....create and delete files wasn't ever a problem!!
I get the permission denied error only if working in base-us, but not in us.
I can't understand why, as I can do whatever I want in base-us!
As posted above, file system is mounted with noexec option (forbids execution of your unrar binary).
Both individual files and entire filesystems have permission controls.
(if confused at this point, just be glad Kindles don't run selinux or use acl lists.)

Just put the unrar binary someplace without that restriction (/mnt/us/bin?) and refer to it by its full pathname on the command line.
(or change your PATH env. variable to include /mnt/us/bin in the search list)