Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 09-12-2008, 06:41 AM   #151
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?
vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad
In the past two weeks Sony have added about 1400 new titles (a 3.0% increase) and now have about 50,000 ebooks for sale for the Readers with an average of 92 new ebooks per day added to their offerings since last September. The greatest percentage increases in the past two weeks are in the categories of Manga and Graphic Novels (18.8% - okay, they added 3 titles and now have 19 for sale) and Sports and Games (up 6.8%).

In the same period Amazon have added 6,000 new titles (a 3.5% increase) and now have about 173,000 ebooks for sale for the Kindle with an average of 282 new ebooks per day added to their offerings since November.
vivaldirules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 08:45 AM   #152
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
But how many eBooks has Amazon added if you take away all of the self-published titles?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-12-2008, 08:54 AM   #153
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?
vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
But how many eBooks has Amazon added if you take away all of the self-published titles?
Unfortunately, that can't be answered with any certainty, Jon. Howevever, there are 10 self-published titles in the 140 total that Amazon have for sale in the category of Baseball (see post #140 above). If that statistic holds for other categories (there's no way to know if it does), it would mean that about 93% or 161,000 are not self-published.
Old 09-12-2008, 08:59 AM   #154
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

That's the problem with Amazon's numbers. There's no way to be sure what they really are because we don't want to take self-published into account.
Old 09-12-2008, 09:00 AM   #155
DMcCunney
New York Editor
DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PalmTX, Pocket eDGe, Alcatel Fierce 4, RCA Viking Pro 10, Nexus 7
Quote:
Is there a convenient way to do that? I doubt it.

And I'm not certain it matters. Total number of available titles isn't terribly meaningful. The key question (which we can't answer) is "Are the books I want available for my reader?". The answer to that question will vary by reader owner.

It would be interesting if we knew how Sony added titles, how they chose what titles to add, and what titles (if any) they were unable to add because they couldn't get rights, but I doubt there's a way to tell that, either.

I'd like to see a list for the Sony Reader indicating what publishers they carry, sorted by number of titles carried, to see who is on board, and more importantly, get an idea of who isn't. Are there major publishers who issue ebooks in Kindle format but not Sony?
______
Dennis

Last edited by DMcCunney; 09-12-2008 at 09:31 AM.
DMcCunney is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-12-2008, 09:11 AM   #156
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMcCunney View Post
I'd like to see a list for the Sony Reader indicating what publishers they carry, sorted by number of titles carried, to see who is on board, and more importantly, get an idea of who isn't. Are there major publishers who issue ebooks in Kindle format but not Sony?
______
Dennis
This is the closest I can come to answering that, Dennis. It's a screenshot of the list of publishers that you can search on at the Sony site.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SonyPublishers.JPG
Views:	286
Size:	49.3 KB
ID:	16221  
Old 09-12-2008, 09:30 AM   #157
DMcCunney
New York Editor
DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PalmTX, Pocket eDGe, Alcatel Fierce 4, RCA Viking Pro 10, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by vivaldirules View Post
This is the closest I can come to answering that, Dennis. It's a screenshot of the list of publishers that you can search on at the Sony site.
Is that the complete list? I'd have to Look Stuff Up to expand upon it, as there are names in there that are "corporate parents" covering a number of imprints. (Macmillan, for example, is the US umbrella for Holtzbrink, and may include Farrar, Straus, and Giroux, W.H. Freeman, Henry Holt, Macmillan, St. Martin's Press,Scientific American, and Tor/Forge, among others.)
______
Dennis
DMcCunney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 09:52 AM   #158
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?

Well, your question, Dennis, has led me to acquire some better data from the Sony site. Since I can search the Sony site by publisher I did that for each of them and have put the totals into a spreadsheet. Here is a text file containing all of the publishers that Sony lists followed by the number of titles by each that Sony has for sale. I have sorted these from highest (Taylor & Francis Publishing with 13,567 titles) to lowest (John Wiley & Sons with 1 title, for example). If you add up all of these titles and add the 958 Sony Classics (the public domain titles that Sony sells), you get a total of 46,585 ebooks for sale at Sony. That sounds about right to me since the 50,000 that you get by summing by all the listings in each category we know includes some multiple counts. So, yes, I think this just might be all the publishers that Sony sells ebooks for. I hope you'll take a look and make note of any major holes (particularly as they compare with Amazon).
Attached Files
File Type: txt Sony Publishers.txt (1.6 KB, 204 views)
Old 09-12-2008, 06:12 PM   #159
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
One comparison that I did was to look up Robert Heinlein on both amazon and sony. Amazon had 6 books - Space Cadet, Glory Road, Red Planet, Double Star, For Us the Living and The Puppet Masters. Sony has 3 books - The Puppet Masters, Stranger in a Strange Land and For Us, the Living. So Amazon has 4 that Sony doesn't have while Sony has 1 that Amazon doesn't have. While this isn't conclusive, I suspect that those who think that the difference is just self published books, or duplicate titles are engaged in wishful thinking.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 06:46 PM   #160
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker8 View Post
One comparison that I did was to look up Robert Heinlein on both Amazon and Sony. Amazon had 6 books - Space Cadet, Glory Road, Red Planet, Double Star, For Us the Living and The Puppet Masters. Sony has 3 books - The Puppet Masters, Stranger in a Strange Land and For Us, the Living. So Amazon has 4 that Sony doesn't have while Sony has 1 that Amazon doesn't have. While this isn't conclusive, I suspect that those who think that the difference is just self published books, or duplicate titles are engaged in wishful thinking.
What you just showed is a major issue for eBooks. The tower or eBabel we have is doing eBooks no justice at all. Especially when publishers don't know how to handle it. We now have eReader, PDF, BBeB, AZW/Topaz, MS Reader, & ePub as the major formats. That 5 different formats that ever eBook needs to support.
Old 09-12-2008, 07:05 PM   #161
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?

Quote:
What you just showed is a major issue for eBooks. The tower or eBabel we have is doing eBooks no justice at all. Especially when publishers don't know how to handle it. We now have eReader, PDF, BBeB, AZW/Topaz, MS Reader, & ePub as the major formats. That 5 different formats that ever eBook needs to support.
I agree, Jon. But the major issue has little to do with eBabel, in my opinion. The major issue with Sony selling far fewer titles than Amazon is that Sony sells far fewer titles than Amazon. It is not uncertain multiple counts, some self-published titles, or eBabel. It is Sony being far less aggressive in selling ebooks than Amazon. To suggest it is anything else simply confuses the major issue.
Old 09-12-2008, 07:20 PM   #162
Cookie Monster
Connoisseur
Cookie Monster doesn't litterCookie Monster doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-700
Quote:
Originally Posted by vivaldirules View Post
I agree, Jon. But the major issue has little to do with eBabel, in my opinion. The major issue with Sony selling far fewer titles than Amazon is that Sony sells far fewer titles than Amazon. It is not uncertain multiple counts, some self-published titles, or eBabel. It is Sony being far less aggressive in selling ebooks than Amazon. To suggest it is anything else simply confuses the major issue.
Publishers like Penguin are jumping onboard the epub bandwagon this Autumn; i haven't seen any of their offerings on the Kindle.

Whether the pricing will be aimed at the British market, ie too expensive for secptic tanks, remains to be seen.
Cookie Monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 09:07 PM   #163
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cookie Monster View Post
Publishers like Penguin are jumping onboard the epub bandwagon this Autumn; i haven't seen any of their offerings on the Kindle.

Whether the pricing will be aimed at the British market, ie too expensive for secptic tanks, remains to be seen.
Penguin is all over the Kindle store.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 11:21 PM   #164
Cookie Monster
Connoisseur
Cookie Monster doesn't litterCookie Monster doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-700
Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
Penguin is all over the Kindle store.
I stand corrected. I forgot penguin is more than just penguin classics . They've just added a few in that range now, 139 compared to 12,500 or so books.
Cookie Monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 12:27 PM   #165
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?

In the past two weeks Sony have added about 1000 new titles (a 2.0% increase) and now have about 51,000 ebooks for sale for the Readers with an average of 91 new ebooks per day added to their offerings since I started monitoring them one year ago this week. The greatest percentage increases in the past two weeks are in the categories of Technology (up 7.7%) and Short Stories - SciFi and Fantasy (up 7.0%). Most the new titles in the latter category are the 103 Arthur C. Clarke short stories they have for sale at $1.99 each.

In the same period Amazon have added 6,800 new titles (a 3.9% increase) and now have about 180,000 ebooks for sale for the Kindle with an average of 292 new ebooks per day added to their offerings since November.

Tags
duck!, duppy?, puppy!