Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Color & Nook Tablet

Notices

Old 12-15-2010, 03:33 PM   #1
donovan1983
donovan1983 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.donovan1983 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.donovan1983 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.donovan1983 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.donovan1983 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.donovan1983 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.donovan1983 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.donovan1983 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.donovan1983 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.donovan1983 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.donovan1983 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Being charged for trial subscriptions?

I noticed when looking at my bank account today that I have been charged for all the trial subscriptions I chose although the B&N site said I would not be charged until after the trial period. It didn't matter whether I had subscribed on the device or on the web site. Has anyone else ran into this?
donovan1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 03:41 PM   #2
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Yeah, some of us have barked about this on an older thread. I'm used to the way Amazon do free trial subscriptions. Nothing is authorized on the card until the end of the trial. Some on the B&N forum say it takes a week or so for the pending authorizations to fall off.

Last edited by SCION; 12-15-2010 at 03:45 PM.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-15-2010, 03:49 PM   #3
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
Let me guess, you have a Debit Card on file?

Yes it's just a "pending" charge. IOW's they run your card on the transaction, nothing will get charged.

It depends on your bank on how long it stays on. Most will fall off within a week
Mine takes 3days.

Again, nothing is charged, it's just a billing procedure, it's not uncommon or unique to Barnes and Noble.

If you are wondering, call your bank and ask how long do they hold "pending" transactions before they fall off. Again I would be shocked if it was more than 5 business days.

So yes it's still Free.
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 03:58 PM   #4
donovan1983
donovan1983 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.donovan1983 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.donovan1983 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.donovan1983 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.donovan1983 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.donovan1983 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.donovan1983 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.donovan1983 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.donovan1983 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.donovan1983 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.donovan1983 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Of course they show up as pending transactions, but the B&N site never implied they would even try to charge your card. I think it's a little shady to not be upfront about something like that, and hopefully they will either change the wording on their site, or do what Sony and others do (which is what I expected) and not attempt to charge a card at all until the end of the trial period.
donovan1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 04:00 PM   #5
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Quote:
Originally Posted by donovan1983 View Post
Of course they show up as pending transactions, but the B&N site never implied they would even try to charge your card. I think it's a little shady to not be upfront about something like that, and hopefully they will either change the wording on their site, or do what Sony and others do (which is what I expected) and not attempt to charge a card at all until the end of the trial period.
Yeah, I forgot that Sony don't authorize the card either. Hmmm, B&N gone rogue.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-15-2010, 04:12 PM   #6
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
Quote:
Originally Posted by donovan1983 View Post
because they don't charge your card, in order for them to charge your card they would have to send in authorization codes to have the transaction go from pending to charged.

Nothing shady, its a very common practice. Nothing gets charged.

They're not trying to pull a fast one on you, it's simply how some billing departments have their system.

If I was to take an educated guess on why they just dont charge the card at the end is because they're billing system is set up in a way that has to make sure your card is in good standing in order to make transactions which includes ALL transactions. So the billing system see's the subscription as a transaction and automatically runs the card but since it's a promotion it's more than likely "Flagged" so the billing department know not to send in authorization codes to your bank. So it goes into Pending. All debit card transactions all go straight to pending. It's not officially Charged.

So instead of setting up a totally different billing scheme just for Free trial promotions, they would just have transactions that are for Trial Promotions Flagged as to not send in authorizations to your bank. That way it also easier to have debit cards under the same bililng structure as credit cards.

This is also a very similiar billing structure used in restaurants and Bars and other merchants.

Last edited by boswd; 12-15-2010 at 04:35 PM.
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 03:15 PM   #7
Quistopher
Enthusiast
Quistopher has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Quistopher has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Quistopher has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Quistopher has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: NookColor CM7 7.0.3
I saw this thread, checked my bank online and there was the B&N charge for the USAToday 14 day trial I got yesterday. The B&N guy said lots of people have done it, I should have clicked Learn More to get the 14 day trial. I think it is the B&N interface, if I click 14 day subscription, it should be that. He took the charge off and said I can get the 14 day trial again after the cancel is processed in a few hours. I have 4 other trials and he said those are listed as trials but we will see.
Quistopher is offline   Reply With Quote