Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 10-03-2010, 02:06 PM   #1
Acuum
Acuum began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 (3g)
Scheduled tasks

Hi I'm new to kindle and new to this thread, but I've had a search and havn't found my answer

I had an idea about jailbreaking my kindle so that I could schedule jobs.

I've got the 3G kindle 3 and it really bugs me that the wifi/3g runs the battery down in 10 days, when I don't really need it on most of the time.

I will be configuring calibre to grab feeds and email them to my free wifi kindle address so I do want the device on wireless but only for about 1 hour a day,
30 minutes in the AM , and 30 minutes in the PM.

Has anyone looked into a cron job to enable the wireless toggeling?

It would be a huge bonus if I could configure it to have wireless on for just an hour a day, and my guess is that the battery would last much closer to the WIFI off rate of 30 days.

Any idea if this is possible?

thanks!
A
Acuum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 05:23 PM   #2
isotherm
Connoisseur
isotherm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.isotherm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.isotherm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.isotherm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.isotherm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.isotherm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.isotherm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.isotherm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.isotherm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.isotherm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.isotherm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kindle 2
Sure, it is definitely possible. I'm not sure of your level of experience, but it sounds like you are familiar with cron jobs. Cron is already running on the Kindle. You just need to create a script for it to run. For wireless control, try: lipc-set-prop com.lab126.wifid enable 0|1

The trick will be getting the framework to recognize that the wireless is on and doing updates... But I'm sure it could be done with enough investigation.
isotherm is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-03-2010, 07:07 PM   #3
Acuum
Acuum began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 (3g)
Isotherm,

Thanks for the reply, I'm familiar with cron jobs as far as what they are, but it looks like I've got some reading and some investigations on how to get them to work....

time to risk bricking my kindle I guess

thanks for the help, and the pointer to the above command.
A
Acuum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 10:21 PM   #4
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Welcome to MobileRead, Acuum
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 10:38 PM   #5
isotherm
Connoisseur
isotherm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.isotherm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.isotherm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.isotherm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.isotherm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.isotherm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.isotherm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.isotherm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.isotherm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.isotherm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.isotherm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kindle 2
Carefully follow the instructions for the jailbreak and for installing the USB network package. Once you are logged into the Kindle via telnet or ssh, the root filesystem will be mounted read-only. You should be able to experiment with scripts in /tmp before ever editing the crontab. Be sure you have a script that is working very well (at the least, it should never fail, hang, or otherwise disrupt the system) before you put it in the crontab.
isotherm is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert