Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 08-29-2010, 07:19 PM   #1
JaneFancher
Zealot
JaneFancher has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.JaneFancher has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.JaneFancher has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.JaneFancher has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.JaneFancher has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle2
Are the SGC_# a sigil code?

I'm having just more fun than should be legal with embedded fonts. Have just discovered that some of my books show just fine in Adobe Digital Editions, and some don't. Have tracked one problem to the sgc_1 code in the paragraph's html style code.

Basically, I had a font type, font size, ital, and this sgc code all in one style call in the html. When I took out the ital and the sgc code, I got my font, if not in italics. I can't figure what these sgc codes refer to. Can any one here help? And can I safely delete them?

Of course, one of the books that displays properly in ADE also has them. Go figure....

Thanks as always!
JaneFancher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 10:01 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaneFancher View Post
I'm having just more fun than should be legal with embedded fonts. Have just discovered that some of my books show just fine in Adobe Digital Editions, and some don't. Have tracked one problem to the sgc_1 code in the paragraph's html style code.

Basically, I had a font type, font size, ital, and this sgc code all in one style call in the html. When I took out the ital and the sgc code, I got my font, if not in italics. I can't figure what these sgc codes refer to. Can any one here help? And can I safely delete them?

Of course, one of the books that displays properly in ADE also has them. Go figure....

Thanks as always!

In Code view, if you go near the top of the page:
there is a style section (olive color), when you use one of the Sigil style buttons (Bold, underline, center) a Sigil code appears here (not always the same SGC code, page to page), you can replace SGC codes with your own styles, . Just read the SGC defined style and replace the usage you found with yours that does similar things..
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 09:07 AM   #3
charleski
Wizard
charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
I can't figure what these sgc codes refer to. Can any one here help? And can I safely delete them?
Sigil uses HTMLTidy to check and prettyprint the xhtml, and this will attempt to put all the styling into the css, so
<p><i>Some italic text</i></p>
becomes
<p class="sgc-1">Some italic text</p>
with
p.sgc-1 {font-style:italic}
in a style item in the header.

I think Valloric has said he'll add an option to turn this off in a future version, but for now the way to avoid it is to use
<p><em>Some italic text</em</p>
instead, which is better usage anyway.
charleski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 01:13 PM   #4
JayCeeEll
Connoisseur
JayCeeEll doesn't litterJayCeeEll doesn't litterJayCeeEll doesn't litter

Device: PRS-300
Quote:
Originally Posted by charleski View Post
<p><em>Some italic text</em</p>
instead, which is better usage anyway.
I don't think it is - is one of the few times the <em> tag is correctly used. The majority of times you actually want <i>, e.g. titles of works, names of ships, foreign words, character thoughts and many others.
JayCeeEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 02:13 PM   #5
charleski
Wizard
charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCeeEll View Post
I don't think it is - is one of the few times the <em> tag is correctly used. The majority of times you actually want <i>, e.g. titles of works, names of ships, foreign words, character thoughts and many others.
No, The whole point of html/css is that the presentational aspects are separated from the semantic. <em> indicates empahsis, which may be conveyed in different ways in different situations, eg if someone with impaired vision uses a text-to-speech system to read your book. If you want to italicise text for purely visual reasons you should be using css to do it, the <i> tag is retained purely because it's still so commonly used.
charleski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 05:02 PM   #6
capidamonte
Not who you think I am...
capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: PocketBook 360 -- Ivory
<em class="text_emphasis">
<em class="ship_name">
<em class="title_of_work">

And so on.

Lot of work, but it will let you distinguish how you want them to look: small caps, italics, font, etc.

Just don't overuse <span>s, that's nearly as bad as overusing <div>s.
capidamonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 05:07 PM   #7
JaneFancher
Zealot
JaneFancher has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.JaneFancher has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.JaneFancher has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.JaneFancher has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.JaneFancher has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Thanks everyone!

Interesting input.

I kinda forgot about this because I figured it out. Pretty obvious what it was for when I actually LOOKED at the file. What remains strange to me is that it only put it in in a handful of places, when there were lots of italics throughout the (very long) book. Calibre, which created the epub file, had translated all the <i> code to a css code and that was present in all the instances where I used ital, including the handful that sigil inserted it's ital into. I'm sure there's a pattern, but I'm not going to bother to find it. I just took out the redundant code.

Thanks again.
Old 09-03-2010, 05:17 PM   #8
JaneFancher
Zealot

Oh...I actually have another question now on the same subject. If the idea is to use <em> for emphasis and to keep it out of the CSS...what is the alternative for bold <b>?

Thanks!
Old 09-03-2010, 05:28 PM   #9
capidamonte
capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

<strong>
Old 09-03-2010, 08:21 PM   #10
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by capidamonte View Post
<strong>
<manly>

Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 11:10 PM   #11
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Oh...I actually have another question now on the same subject. If the idea is to use <em> for emphasis and to keep it out of the CSS...what is the alternative for bold <b>?

Thanks!
1) Why not in the CSS?
2) You can have/use more than one CSS at a time
3) You can add (file) local styles in the same place that Sigil puts theirs between the <style type="text/css"> </style>,
just take care to be unique.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 02:05 AM   #12
capidamonte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
<manly>

<virile>
Old 09-04-2010, 05:37 AM   #13
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by capidamonte View Post
<virile>
<studly>
Old 09-04-2010, 12:48 PM   #14
capidamonte

<talldarkandhandsome>
Old 09-06-2010, 04:08 AM   #15
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave

<hunkahunkaburninlove>

Tags
adobe digital editions, disappearing fonts, embedded fonts, sgc code