Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 11-11-2013, 09:30 AM   #61
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxaris View Post
The behavious makes sense, since it has a tag inside a word. So, the renderer has no real idea that it belongs to the same word.
But there's absolutely no indication it is not the same word. Line breaks should only be allowed at spaces (or other specific characters). I don't know if the HTML/CSS specs have anything to say about that, but I consider these spurious line breaks a big flaw.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 10:00 AM   #62
m4mmon
Enthusiast
m4mmon is my name, but call me Ishmael.m4mmon is my name, but call me Ishmael.m4mmon is my name, but call me Ishmael.m4mmon is my name, but call me Ishmael.m4mmon is my name, but call me Ishmael.m4mmon is my name, but call me Ishmael.m4mmon is my name, but call me Ishmael.m4mmon is my name, but call me Ishmael.m4mmon is my name, but call me Ishmael.m4mmon is my name, but call me Ishmael.m4mmon is my name, but call me Ishmael.

Device: PB631, PB741, PB840
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxaris View Post
You could try a span with 'white-space:nowrap', but support for that is really poor.
Thank you for the suggestion, sadly it did not work in ADE 2. I cannot test on the Pocketbook right now.

I also think it looks like a big flaw to me: no browser I have tested breaks the word like ADE 2. In case the text deals with chemistry formulas, I do not think it is a good idea to break at markups.
m4mmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-11-2013, 11:27 AM   #63
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellby View Post
But there's absolutely no indication it is not the same word. Line breaks should only be allowed at spaces (or other specific characters). I don't know if the HTML/CSS specs have anything to say about that, but I consider these spurious line breaks a big flaw.
I would agree. It is a bug that ADE should fix. Next they will be splitting on a span.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 12:11 PM   #64
jbacelar
Interested in the matter
jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook InkPad 3
M& #737;& #737;& #7497;. D& #691;. M& #7497;.

Mˡˡᵉ. Dʳ. Mᵉ.

Google: utf-8 modifier letter small (and the character in question).
jbacelar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 12:13 PM   #65
m4mmon
Enthusiast
m4mmon is my name, but call me Ishmael.m4mmon is my name, but call me Ishmael.m4mmon is my name, but call me Ishmael.m4mmon is my name, but call me Ishmael.m4mmon is my name, but call me Ishmael.m4mmon is my name, but call me Ishmael.m4mmon is my name, but call me Ishmael.m4mmon is my name, but call me Ishmael.m4mmon is my name, but call me Ishmael.m4mmon is my name, but call me Ishmael.m4mmon is my name, but call me Ishmael.

I will try to report that to the adobe guy mentionned here:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2379201
Advert
Old 11-11-2013, 12:27 PM   #66
m4mmon
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbacelar View Post
M& #737;& #737;& #7497;. D& #691;. M& #7497;.

Mˡˡᵉ. Dʳ. Mᵉ.

Google: utf-8 modifier letter small (and the character in question).
Thank you, I will try your suggestion !

edit : It works, at least in ADE 2.0, as a drawback I have to embed a suitable font in order to get sure it will be properly displayed. Liberation does have those characters in it, so it is not a big deal.

Last edited by m4mmon; 11-11-2013 at 12:59 PM. Reason: success
Old 11-11-2013, 09:52 PM   #67
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
I would agree. It is a bug that ADE should fix. Next they will be splitting on a span.

Dale
Actually, not next, ADE splits on a span now. I tried a M<span class="test">lle</span> where test was to do the superscript in CSS and ADE 2.0 did split after the M.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 03:36 PM   #68
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Actually, not next, ADE splits on a span now. I tried a M<span class="test">lle</span> where test was to do the superscript in CSS and ADE 2.0 did split after the M.
Yuk!

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 02:34 AM   #69
hpstricker
hpstricker began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS 505, iPad
Line-breaking bug

I really wonder why this bug starts annoying people only now - it has been there since the release of ADE 2, and it is really a shame. I did send a detailed bug report to Jeff Wright more than six months ago (!). He answered that he would see the problem - but that was it.
hpstricker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 03:10 PM   #70
m4mmon
Enthusiast

Same for me, my excuse is that I only switched to ADE 2 recently. FBReader is also affected on my friend's reader.
Old 02-20-2014, 07:59 AM   #71
SBT
Fanatic
SBT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SBT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SBT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SBT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SBT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SBT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SBT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SBT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SBT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SBT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SBT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: prs-t1, tablet, Nook Simple, assorted kindles, iPad
SVG: <symbol> and <use> tags unrecognised?

When viewing an epub with SVG illustrations in ADE Desktop v. 2 and 3 and on Sony PRS-T1, paths rendered with <symbol> and <use> tags are not shown. The SVG validates properly with the W3C validator. Anybody know of the problem, and a workaround that doesn't imply a bloated SVG file?

EDIT:
I haven't seen it documented anywhere, but it seems ADE does not support <symbol>!
The workaround is to use <g> instead of <symbol>, and in the corresponding <use> tags use transform="translate(...)" instead of x=... y=...

Last edited by SBT; 02-24-2014 at 06:38 AM.
SBT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 07:53 PM   #72
dgatwood
Curmudgeon
dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, iPhone, Nook Simple Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Try <nobr>....</nobr> tags around the content in question. It is gross and evil, but it can help work around bugs like this....

Incidentally, ADE's behavior is explicitly wrong according to the HTML spec, as of v4.01, section 9.3.5:

Quote:
By convention, visual HTML user agents wrap text lines to fit within the available margins. Wrapping algorithms depend on the script being formatted.

In Western scripts, for example, text should only be wrapped at white space. Early user agents incorrectly wrapped lines just after the start tag or just before the end tag of an element, which resulted in dangling punctuation. For example, consider this sentence:

A statue of the <A href="cih78">Cihuateteus</A>, who are patron ...
Wrapping the line just before the end tag of the A element causes the comma to be stranded at the beginning of the next line:

Code:
  A statue of the Cihuateteus
  , who are patron ...
This is an error since there was no white space at that point in the markup.
Emphasis mine. So if ADE is wrapping at tag boundaries....

Dear Adobe,

Has anyone on your Digital Editions team ever actually read the HTML specification? Didn't think so.

Sincerely,
Your users

Last edited by dgatwood; 03-22-2014 at 09:53 PM.
dgatwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 11:31 AM   #73
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by charleski View Post
2 Margin: auto fails to work
While margin: auto is supported in the epub spec, it also specifically allows it to be forced to 0 in Section 3.3:

Workaround: avoid the use of margin:auto. EricDP has posted an example of how to simulate its function on centered text using display:inline-table here.
The latest RMSDK (in Kobo firmware 3.5.0) seems to support auto margins. There is hope!

It also displays Hebrew and Arabic characters correctly right-to-left (although Arabir rendering leaves much to be desired).
Old 07-16-2014, 02:47 PM   #74
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellby View Post
It also displays Hebrew and Arabic characters correctly right-to-left (although Arabic rendering leaves much to be desired).
Is the default font as ugly as the default Kindle font (code2000) or are there other display issues with diacritics and/or ligatures?

Could you please take a screen capture of my Hebrew/Arabic test file with and without publisher fonts enabled?
Attached Files
File Type: epub RTL_Test.epub (171.2 KB, 685 views)
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 04:34 PM   #75
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doitsu View Post
Is the default font as ugly as the default Kindle font (code2000) or are there other display issues with diacritics and/or ligatures?

Could you please take a screen capture of my Hebrew/Arabic test file with and without publisher fonts enabled?
As far as I could see, the default font has no Hebrew or Arabic characters, my test was with embedded fonts. I will try your file, but I don't know if I can take a screenshot, and I have no camera at hand.

ETA: By the way, I didn't use the "dir" attribute, I just relied on the Unicode bidi algorithm (Hebrew/Arabic characters are intrinsically rtl).

Last edited by Jellby; 07-16-2014 at 04:37 PM.