Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 12-08-2009, 01:04 PM   #1
Treadstone71
Treadstone71 doesn't litterTreadstone71 doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-300, iPhone 4, iPad 1, Kindle 3rd Gen., Kindle Fire, Nook STR
What happened to the Kindle DX subsidies?

When the DX was announced, several newspapers stated they were going to have subsidy programs where the DX purchase price would be lower for those who committed to paid subscriptions. Other than that statement at the launch, I've heard nothing about any of these programs. Have I just missed the announcements/cancellations?

I probably would have jumped at just about any reasonable terms back in August or September, but instead I upgraded my Sony 500 to a Sony 300. I guess I'll just wait for the other large readers due to launch next year.
Treadstone71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 01:24 PM   #2
Daithi
Publishers are evil!
Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various Kindles
That's a good question Treadstone.
Daithi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-10-2009, 03:37 PM   #3
Slow_hand
Groupie
Slow_hand has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Slow_hand has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Slow_hand has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Slow_hand has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Amazon Kindle 2
I was offered a subsidy by the Washington Post about two months ago, but I found it underwhelming. Forty dollars off the DX and a year's free Washington Post.
Slow_hand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 08:15 PM   #4
Sonist
Apeist
Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Generic virtual reality story-experiential device
The DX is a bit too small and it does not handle PDFs well.

I am sure the magazine/newspaper industry will be much more willing to pony up for the rumored Apple tablet.
Sonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 01:25 AM   #5
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
I think they are working on their own versions of readers
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-12-2009, 12:48 PM   #6
markbot
Guru
markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite 2
i think maybe they should drastically reduce the newspaper subscription cost if u already have the internet or paper subscription. a lot of people who read the wall street journal would not consider giving up the paper or internet versions for the kindle version. so this means u r faced with the proposition of having 2 $100+ subscriptions per year for the same paper. not a very economical proposition.

what the WSJ should consider is distributing the Kindle version with all the ads of the paper version...and making the kindle version free since the distribution cost of the paper version is probably more than the subscription price.
markbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 02:19 AM   #7
eboyhan
PandaMuse
eboyhan doesn't littereboyhan doesn't litter

Device: kindle dx, kindle touch SO, kindle fire, kindle fire hd8.9
i jst renewed my wsj.com electronic subscription for $155 (up 30% over last year) asked them if there would be some kind of combo deal for KDX version and web version -- they said KDX version is tween me and Amazon -- they have nothing to do with it. Price of wsj for KDX is outrageous -- not worth it -- most Amazon subscription prices are way too high, and the content (pictures, etc) is way below par.
eboyhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 06:32 AM   #8
Solicitous
Wizard
Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket Pro (Black), 2 x Kindle WiFi (Graphite), iPod Touch 4G
Quote:
Originally Posted by eboyhan View Post
i jst renewed my wsj.com electronic subscription for $155 (up 30% over last year) asked them if there would be some kind of combo deal for KDX version and web version -- they said KDX version is tween me and Amazon -- they have nothing to do with it. Price of wsj for KDX is outrageous -- not worth it -- most Amazon subscription prices are way too high, and the content (pictures, etc) is way below par.
Even worse if you are an International customer, you pay the extra to cover electronic delivery, and you don't even get pictures.
Solicitous is offline   Reply With Quote