Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 11-27-2009, 02:35 PM   #16
tech_au
Oz Bookworm
tech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura about

Device: Sony PRS 505,PRS 650
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbell View Post
No Reilly or Larssen yet, sorry.

I bought Reilly's Seven Ancient Wonders at www.macmillandigital.com.au

I've downloaded and read some free short stories from his website, too.

http://matthewreilly.com/

This isn't good - the more I search our store, the more ebooks I find that I want to own!
I looked on macmillan digital and Five Greatest Warriors is for sale in Ebook form for the ridiculous price of $45. When I can go and buy the hardcopy from Big W for $25 there is no much chance I will buy the ebook at that price.
Also The Girl Who Kicked the Hornets Nest is available for Australia on the Kindle store for $14.94. I wonder if they have an exclusive deal ? I don't think I want to download and install Kindle For PC just to read one ebook
tech_au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 12:59 AM   #17
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T3, Kobo Glo, Kindle Touch, iPad, Samsung SB 2 tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozron View Post
Sorry but that automatically counts me out. Pity.
Why? It's really not difficult to remove Adobe DRM. There is a very long thread about it on the ePub forum, and private messaging helps too.

I know that some people don't buy ebooks with DRM as a matter of principle, but that gives control over what I read to others, and that is not acceptable to me.

Regards, Alex
AlexBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-28-2009, 04:54 AM   #18
tech_au
Oz Bookworm
tech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura about

Device: Sony PRS 505,PRS 650
I know some people get all hot and bothered about DRM but its not really an issue for me especially since EPUB has become the standard.
About the only time I would even consider removing the DRM(which is illegal in Oz) from an ebook would be if I downloaded a Kindle book with Kindle for PC and converted it to EPUB so I could read it on my Sony reader(assuming someone works out how to do that eventually)
tech_au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 05:54 AM   #19
caddie
Caddie Campbell
caddie began at the beginning.

Device: SDony PRS 600
hi every one new here and have been on the web for days or so it seems reseraching e books and the readers.
has any one had dealing with the software called Calibre. It converts files for easy reading on the sony
thanks Caddie
caddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 09:29 AM   #20
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3|iPad air|iPhone 4S
Quote:
Originally Posted by caddie View Post
hi every one new here and have been on the web for days or so it seems reseraching e books and the readers.
has any one had dealing with the software called Calibre. It converts files for easy reading on the sony
thanks Caddie
Hi Caddie. Welcome to Mobileread

There's a whole forum dedicated to calibre: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=166

Lots of us here use calibre and it's a great application. It's worth noting in this context though, that calibre does not convert files with DRM (AFAIK).
Ea is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-28-2009, 09:43 AM   #21
Katti's Cat
Wizard
Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Sony PRS-600
Can't wait for the bookstore to open - the prices look good from what you have quoted. Finally someone who is competitive with the US market
Katti's Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 02:48 PM   #22
AprilHare
Wizard
AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-T2
Sounds good. Can't wait to try it out with my PRS-500 when it gets back from the shop (money permitting).
AprilHare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 03:47 PM   #23
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbell View Post
Our ebooks will all have Adobe DE DRM.
Oh, well...
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 03:57 PM   #24
sianon
Addict
sianon will become famous soon enoughsianon will become famous soon enoughsianon will become famous soon enoughsianon will become famous soon enoughsianon will become famous soon enoughsianon will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony 500, Bebook, Kindle, Eco reader Drs and soon the Archos 9
How are you doing with getting Australian Publishers to release books in e-book format Christine.
sianon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 04:46 PM   #25
troykm
Connoisseur
troykm will become famous soon enoughtroykm will become famous soon enoughtroykm will become famous soon enoughtroykm will become famous soon enoughtroykm will become famous soon enoughtroykm will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle 2
good to see the prices are comparable to sites around the world. now i can stop using the pirate bay for my books and pay for them, something i have wanted to do but was unable to.

its interesting that the book world has seen what doing nothing in the digital music world did to the music industry and are not waiting for the illegal means to take hold. they are all jumping in much quicker with ebook stores and giving us what we want. smart move me thinks.

can i say too, the ECO reader is a very able ebook reader and da direct have been a pleasure to deal with. esp Cbell, who is the title post of this thread.

My first reader had a small fault but it was replaced without question, and my new one is flawless. all support questions were answered promptly and accurately.

i know the kindle has more exposure in OZ right now, but i for one do not like being locked in to just one store. my reader has opened every format book i have put on it so far and this makes it a winner

thanks Cbell and da direct, i look forward to Dec 1

troykm
troykm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 07:31 PM   #26
charlieperry
Connoisseur
charlieperry doesn't littercharlieperry doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS 505
Great news.

Do you know whether e-books are covered by the parallel importation rules?
charlieperry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 09:51 PM   #27
djgreedo
Addict
djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch 3G, HP Touchpad (Android), Samsung Omnia 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexBell View Post
I know that some people don't buy ebooks with DRM as a matter of principle, but that gives control over what I read to others, and that is not acceptable to me.

Regards, Alex
Buying books with DRM only encourages the publishers to put DRM on books. Sure, it's easy to remove DRM, which is a reason to not use DRM, not a reason it's OK. Only loyal customers are hurt by futile copy protection attempts.

If I buy a book I want to be able to read it whenever I want. I don't want to be forced to buy it again or break the law if I choose to buy a reader in future that doesn't support the DRM.

The publishing industry is continuing towards the same failures that have taken a chunk of value out of the music industry.

And I agree that publishers shouldn't control what we read, but I'm willing to miss out on a few books if it means that I give my money to authors and publishers who don't actively try to stunt the usefulness of new technology in a doomed attempt to protect their current business model.

(FWIW since the music industry became mostly DRM-free MP3 I have been buying more music than at any time since I was in my late teens/early 20s. It's cheap and easy and I don't have any barriers to buying any song I want almost instantly and I know they will work on any device I have now or will have in the future. Why should books be any different?)

On the other hand...it IS great that there is an Australian ebook store. As soon as they start selling DRM-free books I'll become a regular customer.
djgreedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 10:05 PM   #28
djgreedo
Addict
djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch 3G, HP Touchpad (Android), Samsung Omnia 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by troykm View Post
its interesting that the book world has seen what doing nothing in the digital music world did to the music industry and are not waiting for the illegal means to take hold. they are all jumping in much quicker with ebook stores and giving us what we want. smart move me thinks.

troykm
They are not giving me what I want. I want e-books that take advantage of the digital medium (lower prices, flexibility across different devices, easy access, ability to back up, etc.). Publishers are trying to use ebooks in the same way they use paper books, which removes most of the benefit of books being electronic. They want to have their cake and eat it.

They are making a token gesture by generally keeping prices high and keeping DRM schemes that punish honest users. They are making exactly the same mistakes the music industry did (the music industry has since learned from their mistakes, the publishing industry seems doomed to repeat them).

Luckily for publishers, the market for books is very different to the music market. The demographic is older and less concerned with (or understanding of) technology. I would wager that a large number of ebook owners have no idea that they lose their books if they replace their reader with a different brand.

The publishing industry is hurting their long-term viability in an attempt to protect their current business model in a world in which that business model is becoming obsolete. The sooner they ignore the pirates and concentrate on supplying their customers with what they want the better chance they have of surviving.
djgreedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 10:17 PM   #29
RTownsend
RTownsend began at the beginning.

Device: BeBook; iRex; Kindle2; iPhone
Oh dear why such limitations with a new online store?

On Matthew Reilly, I have been searching and searching and cannot locate his new book anywhere online for purchase as an eBook. Has anyone found a copy?
RTownsend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 10:47 PM   #30
Katti's Cat
Wizard
Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Sony PRS-600
Quote:
Originally Posted by RTownsend View Post
Oh dear why such limitations with a new online store?

On Matthew Reilly, I have been searching and searching and cannot locate his new book anywhere online for purchase as an eBook. Has anyone found a copy?
I have heard that "The Five Greatest Warriors" won't be released as eBook until January 2010. But Amazon already seems to have a version which is of course not yet available for us Australians.
Katti's Cat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
australia, ebooks, eco reader, new zealand, store