Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Introduce Yourself

Notices

Old 07-14-2009, 10:48 AM   #1
wellonheels
wellonheels began at the beginning.

Device: none yet
Smile Hello from Upstate NY

Hello to everyone!

I'm thinking about purchasing my first e-reader and have narrowed it down to two - the Kindle 2 and the Sony PRS-505. I'll be reading more of your posts for help deciding, so thanks for doing so much reasearch - it should help me decide.

I can't wait to get my e-reader!!!!! (Do I sound disgustingly happy or what?)

Happy reading, everyone!
wellonheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 11:18 AM   #2
rlparker
Ars longa
rlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankind

Device: Kindle K1, K3 wifi
Hi wellonheels, welcome to MR

Going by your username, I think you'll fit in fine because it's a punny bunch around here.

I have a Kindle and I love it, but everyone who has a 505 loves theirs too. I dont' think you could go wrong with either one. Depending on the type of reading you like to do, I think you might get more for your money with the Sony, especially if you find a promotion like someone had (Borders?) a few weeks ago for 200 USD.

Last edited by rlparker; 07-14-2009 at 11:18 AM. Reason: corrected spelling
rlparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-14-2009, 11:19 AM   #3
BookishDreamer
Cultural Artist
BookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Sony 505, Kindle 2
Welcome to MobileRead, wellonheels!

Decisions, decisions! You'll find lots of information and opinions here. Be sure to think about how you read, what features you need, and the availability of books you like. In my case, buying a 505 is one of the best decisions I ever made. I love my Sony but I also have a Kindle 2 (shhhhhh....don't tell anyone). I hope you make the decision that is right for you.

Dreamer
BookishDreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 12:03 PM   #4
Lady Blue
the snarky blue one
Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS500, 505 & 600, PRST1 & T2, Kindle PW, Moto Razr, Galaxy Tab 2-10"
Hello wellonheels, and Click image for larger version

Name:	welcome mat7.jpg
Views:	267
Size:	6.3 KB
ID:	32275 to Mobileread.

I have the 505 and love it.
Lady Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 12:39 PM   #5
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Hi wellonheels and welcome to MobileRead. I've had a Sony 505 for over a year and a half and really like. But, as rlparker says, you pretty much can't go wrong. Be sure and let us know what you finally decide
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-14-2009, 03:56 PM   #6
kazbates
Wizard
kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SurfacePro, SurfaceBook 2
Welcome to MobileRead, wellonheels!

I LOVE your user name!

As everyone else has said, no matter which one you choose, having a reader will change your life. I won't say for the better because it can be VERY addictive. I love my readers and don't know what I would do without them. If you need more information, check out the Device Matrix that shows a side by side comparison of readers to help you decide. Good luck and enjoy!

Happy Reading!
kazbates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 07:53 AM   #7
wellonheels

Thanks for the input everyone -- the decision still has not been made. The Sony reader seems so much more solid and well-made, but the kindle... I'm really only considering it because of the wireless access. Not really for book-buying, actually, but for limited web-surfing whenever and wherever, free. Does anyone have any details on using the Kindle's wireless for other than buying a book?
Old 07-17-2009, 12:49 PM   #8
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by wellonheels View Post
Thanks for the input everyone -- the decision still has not been made. The Sony reader seems so much more solid and well-made, but the kindle... I'm really only considering it because of the wireless access. Not really for book-buying, actually, but for limited web-surfing whenever and wherever, free. Does anyone have any details on using the Kindle's wireless for other than buying a book?
wellonheels, you might consider posting this question in the Kindle section here https://www.mobileread.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=140
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 01:37 PM   #9
wellonheels

I probably should. I was just doing so well getting answers in here

Thanks -- I'll post it there and see what happens.

Have a good weekend!
Old 07-24-2009, 01:52 PM   #10
Elsi
Wizard
Elsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle; Sony PRS 505; Blackberry 8700C
Quote:
Thanks for the input everyone -- the decision still has not been made. The Sony reader seems so much more solid and well-made, but the kindle...
Hello wellonheels -- welcome to MobileRead. I didn't see your post until today. I own both a Kindle1 and a Sony 505 and enjoy them both, but I have to honestly say that I do more reading on the Kindle than the Sony. I would venture to say that may be more because of the price of books from Amazon compared to the price of books from Sony. I try to avoid any need to do format shifting, so for now, I just buy a given book in the least expensive format that will run on one of my two readers. But I also find the Kindle extremely comfortable to hold when reading -- maybe more so than the Sony reader.

Quote:
but the kindle... I'm really only considering it because of the wireless access. Not really for book-buying, actually, but for limited web-surfing whenever and wherever, free. Does anyone have any details on using the Kindle's wireless for other than buying a book?
The wireless feature of the Kindle is biased toward accessing the Amazon storefront. If you are going to try to use it for a web browser, you'll want to focus on simple web sites and those which have an interface designed for PDAs and other mobile devices.

I do not try to browse web sites through my Kindle. For the most part, I keep the antenna turned off unless I'm downloading samples to the Kindle. I'm very comfortable transferring books to the Kindle and Sony using the USB cable, and I almost always have my laptop -- soon to be a netbook -- with me.
Elsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 02:34 PM   #11
rlparker
Ars longa
rlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankind

Device: Kindle K1, K3 wifi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elsi View Post
... If you are going to try to use it for a web browser, you'll want to focus on simple web sites and those which have an interface designed for PDAs and other mobile devices....
I'll second what Elsi said. Not sure if it's bandwidth (I live in a marginal reception area) or the implementation of the browser on the Kindle, but it is painfully slow. I use it pretty often to look up something on Wiki related to whatever I'm reading, but it's laborious. I love being able to get additional context for whatever I'm reading without having to put down my book and go to my computer. But I wouldn't consider using my Kindle for run of the mill web browsing.
rlparker is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kindle 2, prs-505, sony 505