Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 11-21-2008, 12:44 AM   #1
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Unhappy iRex Reader 1000S: Screen corrupt?

Hi,

my first post...
I own: Sony PRS 505, iRex iLiad, BeBook and since yesterday iRex Reader 1000S. I'm happy to post comparisons, .... later on.
But right now, I've got an odd problem with the 1000S.
There's a permanent vertical line on the right side of the screen, about 3mm from the border.
Usually (mainly having white background) it's black. With dark background, it's white. This happens with every data format I've tried.
is this a "polarisation" defect or something like that?
Anyone seen this before? I've attached a (bad = iPhone camera) picture.
Except of this: Brillant unit, same as the iLiad before...
Thanks a lot in advance.
Manfred
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0074.JPG
Views:	770
Size:	363.5 KB
ID:	18122  
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 02:38 AM   #2
tribble
iLiad Maniac
tribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it is

Device: Bookeen Opus (i love that thing) and iPad (what an irony)
Looks like a line error. You will probably have to send it in and get it repaired.
tribble is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-21-2008, 01:22 PM   #3
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, DR800SG
Just adding my agreement with Tribble.

iRex calls that a "line out error". It's covered under warranty, but you do need to send it back to them for repair.
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 09:12 AM   #4
whopper
Addict
whopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Boox max 2
I have a problem too with a little number of small pixels or something similar that stays with the device on, or off, I dont know if return it, it is small but is annoying on a product of this price.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	363
Size:	34.9 KB
ID:	18281   Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	375
Size:	52.5 KB
ID:	18282  
whopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 10:46 AM   #5
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I'm not sure about the dots. Usually a line error is like mgmueller's, where it goes completely across the screen. I don't know what would cause individual dots like that, or if it is something that iRex will cover. You'd have to contact their support and ask.
Advert
Old 06-13-2009, 09:30 PM   #6
aegas
aegas began at the beginning.

Device: none
I was a happy DR user for about 2 months, until yesterday the 'line out error' started to happen.

Interestingly, when I turn the page while pressing very gently the border of the screen where the vertical line meets the border, the vertical line doesn't appear. So then I tried to push harder, hoping that perhaps the problem could just go away even after I remove the pressure, but unfortunately that didn't happen. Interesting...

Last edited by aegas; 06-13-2009 at 09:35 PM.
aegas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 06:43 AM   #7
yingwu
Addict
yingwu has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.yingwu has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.yingwu has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.yingwu has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: 1000s
but why is there such problem? hardware? firmware?
yingwu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 06:55 AM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Display controller fault. Happens (on occasions) to all devices.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 07:07 AM   #9
yingwu
Addict
yingwu has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.yingwu has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.yingwu has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.yingwu has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Display controller fault. Happens (on occasions) to all devices.
Is it often?
Old 06-14-2009, 07:19 AM   #10
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Nope.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 10:35 AM   #11
Shaggy
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by yingwu View Post
but why is there such problem? hardware? firmware?
It's either a hardware or manufacturing defect. iRex will usually replace the screen under warranty when it happens.
Old 06-15-2009, 12:46 PM   #12
aegas
aegas began at the beginning.

Device: none
Line 'in' again

Quote:
Originally Posted by aegas View Post
I was a happy DR user for about 2 months, until yesterday the 'line out error' started to happen.

Interestingly, when I turn the page while pressing very gently the border of the screen where the vertical line meets the border, the vertical line doesn't appear. So then I tried to push harder, hoping that perhaps the problem could just go away even after I remove the pressure, but unfortunately that didn't happen. Interesting...
Curiouser and curiouser, now the line out error of my DR 1000S simply vanished.

As I remember, it had started a few days ago when I was reading outside, under the sunlight. The screen looked faded a little, and more importantly, there was an odd vertical line across the screen in the middle. After that, the line out error persisted for a few days. And yesterday I suddenly realized that the error has gone.
aegas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 01:41 PM   #13
Shaggy
Wizard

iRex has mentioned on their site that it can occasionally show up under low battery conditions, and that recharging can make it go away.
Old 06-15-2009, 05:42 PM   #14
yingwu
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
iRex has mentioned on their site that it can occasionally show up under low battery conditions, and that recharging can make it go away.
Does this work???
Old 06-16-2009, 09:40 AM   #15
Shaggy
Wizard

It depends on what was causing the "line out" error. If it's a hardware/manufacturing defect, then you'll have to get the screen replaced. If the controller is having trouble activating the screen because the voltage from the battery is really low, then recharging should take care of it.

The way to figure out which case it is, is to recharge and see if that fixes the problem. If the "line out" doesn't go away then you should contact their tech support.

Tags
irex reader 1000s, screen defect