Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 03-02-2012, 11:41 AM   #1
jgawne
jgawne began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Question Damnable Symbols

I've been trying to create an Epub for a science class that (sadly) has to use a handful of mathematical type symbols. Just another font you say.

I did up the main file in InDesign, embedded the fonts when exporting to epub. Then went to clean up the file in sigil. still looks OK in Sigil, but when I open the saved file in something else the symbol fonts are not applied.

in the template I can see :

@font-face {
font-family : Symbol;
font-style : normal;
font-weight : normal;
src : url("../Fonts/SymbolMT.otf");

and :

span.char-style-override-10 {
font-family : Symbol, sans-serif;

and I can see style 10 is set to the symbols in the text.

InDesign did not, however, mention it in content.opf so I added:
<item href="Fonts/SymbolMT.otf" id="SymbolMT.otf" media-type="application/x-font-otf" />

So as Sigil can read the font on MY computer, but then can;t when I open the epub in another program I figure I am pointing tot he wrong place, or am trying to write on top of an ancient indian burial ground.
jgawne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 11:57 AM   #2
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Exactly what is "another program/something else" that doesn't display the font properly?
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-02-2012, 12:04 PM   #3
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgawne View Post
I've been trying to create an Epub for a science class that (sadly) has to use a handful of mathematical type symbols. Just another font you say.

I did up the main file in InDesign, embedded the fonts when exporting to epub. Then went to clean up the file in sigil. still looks OK in Sigil, but when I open the saved file in something else the symbol fonts are not applied.

in the template I can see :

@font-face {
font-family : Symbol;
src : url("../Fonts/SymbolMT.otf");

and :

span.char-style-override-10 {
font-family : Symbol, sans-serif;

and I can see style 10 is set to the symbols in the text.

InDesign did not, however, mention it in content.opf so I added:
<item href="../Fonts/SymbolMT.otf" id="SymbolMT.otf" media-type="application/x-font-otf" />

So as Sigil can read the font on MY computer, but then can;t when I open the epub in another program I figure I am pointing tot he wrong place, or am trying to write on top of an ancient indian burial ground.
You missed the relative path part (shown in red)
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 12:21 PM   #4
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
You missed the relative path part (shown in red)
Well, technically, the path the OP specified should be valid—relative to the OPF file it's found in (if built with Sigil). But you very well may be correct about the "../" being necessary (even though I'd normally consider it kinda redundant).
Old 03-02-2012, 12:44 PM   #5
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
It depends on the relative locations of the css, otf and opf files. Both css and opf must have the relative path to the otf, but since css and opf may be in different locations, the relative path may differ too.

Does the file validate in Sigil/Flightcrew?

Note, also, that you shouldn't be using a font that has a non-standard mapping of characters. For instance, if you want to use a Greek alpha, don't include a symbol font that just happens to write alpha when you press the "a" key, instead use a font that has the alpha in its correct Unicode slot, and insert the right Unicode character in the XHTML (or entity, such as &alpha;).
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-02-2012, 06:56 PM   #6
jgawne

no dice on that path. What happens is I get the Omega (needed for Ohms) in Indesign, it also works in sigil. open it in adobe digital editions or calibre and it just shows up as a "W" for kicks export to mobi and look at it on my kindle and still no go.

I tried to figure out if I could just stick the unicode code for the symbol in it, but I can;t figure out how or if that will work.

The workaroudn is to just say "ohms" when I can and when in a formula paste it in as a graphic, but there are also a few other "mathy" symbols I don't think I can do that with. Aside from the fact I would like to learn how to do this.
Old 03-02-2012, 07:02 PM   #7
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
no dice on that path. What happens is I get the Omega (needed for Ohms) in Indesign, it also works in sigil. open it in adobe digital editions or calibre and it just shows up as a "W" for kicks export to mobi and look at it on my kindle and still no go.

I tried to figure out if I could just stick the unicode code for the symbol in it, but I can;t figure out how or if that will work.

The workaroudn is to just say "ohms" when I can and when in a formula paste it in as a graphic, but there are also a few other "mathy" symbols I don't think I can do that with. Aside from the fact I would like to learn how to do this.
Forget fonts

Code it(CV) using the entity value & Omega ; (remove spaces, note the Capital O )
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 07:24 PM   #8
jgawne

&Omega seems to work!

all hail the ducks

Now if someone could point me to an explation of what this coding actually is (so I can understand it) and possible a table of other symbols that might be found in math/electronics...
Old 03-02-2012, 07:36 PM   #9
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Html Entities

Mathematical symbols, Greek letters, and other symbols
Old 03-03-2012, 01:24 AM   #10
grumbles
Addict
grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pandigital Novel (Black), T-2 and 3, Nexus 7
I am having exactly this problem with a an epub I'm putting together. I have put the publication together in Sigil. I've added the font and it appears just fine in Sigil and Calibre's viewer. However it fails to display in ADE and on my Sony 650.

Note that in the epub the opf is in the OEBPS directory and the Font directory is a subdirectory in that. In my particular case the line in the opf file is:

<item href="Fonts/Math2%20Regular.ttf" id="Math2Regular.ttf" media-type="application/x-font-ttf" />

This is correct since Fonts is a subdirectory of OEBPS. "../Fonts/Math2%20Regular.ttf" would place the Fonts directory off the root directory of the epub.

I've had this happen on a few occasions and I am at a loss as to understanding why. The CSS seems to be correct and all the rest of the formatting in CSS works. If it would be helpful I could post the entire CSS file.
grumbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 03:19 AM   #11
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Quote:
export to mobi and look at it on my kindle and still no go.
Don't expect embedded fonts to work in mobi.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 03:32 AM   #12
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by grumbles View Post
I am having exactly this problem with a an epub I'm putting together. I have put the publication together in Sigil. I've added the font and it appears just fine in Sigil and Calibre's viewer. However it fails to display in ADE and on my Sony 650.

Note that in the epub the opf is in the OEBPS directory and the Font directory is a subdirectory in that. In my particular case the line in the opf file is:

<item href="Fonts/Math2%20Regular.ttf" id="Math2Regular.ttf" media-type="application/x-font-ttf" />

This is correct since Fonts is a subdirectory of OEBPS. "../Fonts/Math2%20Regular.ttf" would place the Fonts directory off the root directory of the epub.

I've had this happen on a few occasions and I am at a loss as to understanding why. The CSS seems to be correct and all the rest of the formatting in CSS works. If it would be helpful I could post the entire CSS file.
No. Your other URL would be correct: src:url("../Math2%20Regular.ttf) format("truetype"); (or whatever for the font).

For this purpose (and this program); it's OEBPS/Fonts, which is what you get by using ../, if you follow me. The ".." means: "parent directory." It's relative to the HTML, not the content.opf. If you continue to try to use "Fonts/Math2%20Regular.ttf" , you'll have this problem consistently. Stick with the ../ and you'll be good to go, assuming you're using viable fonts.

HTH,
Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 03:36 AM   #13
mmat1
Berti
mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Acer Lumiread
Quote:
Originally Posted by grumbles View Post
Maybe the blank in your filename causes a problem, better avoid it.

Btw. Where's a good source for free fonts ?
mmat1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 06:29 AM   #14
Timur
Connoisseur
Timur can name that ebook in five wordsTimur can name that ebook in five wordsTimur can name that ebook in five wordsTimur can name that ebook in five wordsTimur can name that ebook in five wordsTimur can name that ebook in five wordsTimur can name that ebook in five wordsTimur can name that ebook in five wordsTimur can name that ebook in five wordsTimur can name that ebook in five wordsTimur can name that ebook in five words

Device: EBW1150, Nook STR
Also be aware that ADE is finicky about the embedded fonts, and refuses to use some fonts for some unknown(at least to me) reason. In one case I had to revert to Linux Libertine 4.7.5(an old version) because in the newest version of this font ADE fall back to the bold weight of the font where regular is used.

Therefore, if you are sure about the correctness of your CSS syntax, but ADE still does not display glyphs as expected, try other fonts.
Timur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 08:13 AM   #15
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

I've come across several fonts that ADE just doesn't "like." It happens.