Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 06-18-2010, 06:15 PM   #1
mlstein
Enthusiast
mlstein knows what time it ismlstein knows what time it ismlstein knows what time it ismlstein knows what time it ismlstein knows what time it ismlstein knows what time it ismlstein knows what time it ismlstein knows what time it ismlstein knows what time it ismlstein knows what time it ismlstein knows what time it is

Device: iPad (one)
Bye bye Kobo

I got one of the first US Kobos yesterday, and after I figured out that I was having problems because I had a corrupted epub (fixed by reconverting it in Calibre) I was enjoying it. Then I bought a book from Kobo, started reading it, turned the reader off--and couldn't get it to boot. It always came to the welcome screen and froze. Kobo service told me there was nothing to do but return it, and I would end up waiting weeks for a replacement. Since I'm not the only one who's had this problem I decided to give up. BestBuy here has the Sony Touch for $200 with a free case. too bad--I like the look and feel of the Kobo a lot. But I couldn't stand the aggravation....
mlstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 07:46 PM   #2
artificial
Groupie
artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.

Device: Kobo eReader
Sorry to hear that the Kobo Reader didn't work out for you

It may be a silly suggestion, but you have charged the unit, right?
artificial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 07:48 PM   #3
mlstein
Enthusiast
mlstein knows what time it ismlstein knows what time it ismlstein knows what time it ismlstein knows what time it ismlstein knows what time it ismlstein knows what time it ismlstein knows what time it ismlstein knows what time it ismlstein knows what time it ismlstein knows what time it ismlstein knows what time it is

Battery was full when I turned it off.
Old 06-18-2010, 09:10 PM   #4
KjellM
Connoisseur
KjellM can grok the meaning of the universe.KjellM can grok the meaning of the universe.KjellM can grok the meaning of the universe.KjellM can grok the meaning of the universe.KjellM can grok the meaning of the universe.KjellM can grok the meaning of the universe.KjellM can grok the meaning of the universe.KjellM can grok the meaning of the universe.KjellM can grok the meaning of the universe.KjellM can grok the meaning of the universe.KjellM can grok the meaning of the universe.

Device: Kobo, Glo HD, Aura ONE
I recommend you try charging it before giving up on it. The Battery Gauge is NOT reliable, it seems to properly update only when the Kobo is turned on. I did a test where I left my Kobo on for 5 days and the battery gauge only went down 1 bar. I then powered it off, then on again, and the battery gauge then showed a charge of only 1 bar, down 7 bars !
KjellM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 09:35 PM   #5
J. Strnad
Guru
J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo, Kindle 3, Paperwhite
Since you spoke with customer service, I assume they had you reset it.

I had an issue with a right-click button that didn't always work and was ready to send my Kobo back, but I called customer support and they walked me through a reset. To my surprise, that seems to have fixed the problem.

It's very frustrating for a new purchase not to work and I don't blame you for wanting to send it back. You never get the chance for another first impression, as they say.

Then again, there's the other cliche, about the two people who meet, hate one another instantly, and eventually fall in love.

I hope the Sony works out better for you!
J. Strnad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 10:54 PM   #6
EtherealWinter
The Omega and Alpha
EtherealWinter began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
Mmm, that freezing the occur with mine when mine ran out of battery, you should try charging it first? and what do you mean it will take weeks? Can't you just go into the store and swap it out for a new one? Because here in Australia that's usually the case, we never send it back to the manufacturers, the store does that.
EtherealWinter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 11:05 PM   #7
RedRoverJ
Zealot
RedRoverJ has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.RedRoverJ has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.RedRoverJ has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.RedRoverJ has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EtherealWinter View Post
Mmm, that freezing the occur with mine when mine ran out of battery, you should try charging it first? and what do you mean it will take weeks? Can't you just go into the store and swap it out for a new one? Because here in Australia that's usually the case, we never send it back to the manufacturers, the store does that.
I think the problem is that most stores are out of stock in most areas.
RedRoverJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 11:37 PM   #8
mylesau
Enthusiast
mylesau began at the beginning.

mlstein,

I'd suggest not turning it on... Install the latest Calibre kobo plug-in (you'll find in in these forums), attach the kobo via usb, then assuming you can access the kobo, delete the two books you've loaded. Then do a reset. That may get you back to a working kobo.

Let us know how it goes if you do try the above.
mylesau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 12:07 AM   #9
mlstein
Enthusiast

I did all that, deleted books via Calibre, removed SD card, spoke with customer service twice, and there's no way the battery gauge was that off. The unit powered up just fine but then froze, over and over. It's too bad, but I have to admit that the Sony is miles better for pdfs and with only a $30 price difference (case factored in) it was probably the better choice for my needs.