Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 02-25-2009, 08:58 PM   #1
Matches Malone
Connoisseur
Matches Malone can eat soup with a fork.Matches Malone can eat soup with a fork.Matches Malone can eat soup with a fork.Matches Malone can eat soup with a fork.Matches Malone can eat soup with a fork.Matches Malone can eat soup with a fork.Matches Malone can eat soup with a fork.Matches Malone can eat soup with a fork.Matches Malone can eat soup with a fork.Matches Malone can eat soup with a fork.Matches Malone can eat soup with a fork.

Device: PW2, Ipad
Text and images on k2 not as dark as k1

Hi just got the kindle 2 and I'm noticing right away that the text and images in books are not as dark and black as the original kindle. This seems like a step backwards. Has anyone else noticed this?
Here are some photos I made. I am not a professional photographer.
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]

kindle1
[IMG][/IMG]
kindle2
[IMG][/IMG]

kindle2
[IMG][/IMG]
kindle1

kindle2
[IMG][/IMG]
kindle1

kindle1 text

kindle2 text

kindle1

kindle2 with ghosting(look in the middle you can see part of the picture and text from the previous page)

kindle1 with largest font
[IMG][/IMG]
kindle2 with largest font
[IMG][/IMG]

Two new photos from D.V. Orden at the amazon kindle forum taken with a dslr
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]

Last edited by Matches Malone; 02-26-2009 at 05:30 PM. Reason: added some more images
Matches Malone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 09:00 PM   #2
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matches Malone View Post
Hi just got the kindle 2 and I'm noticing right away that the text and images in books are not as dark and black as the original kindle. This seems like a step backwards. I'm gonna try and post some pictures soon. Has anyone else noticed this?
This could be because the original Kindle had only 4 shades, and the K2 has 16. Or the K2 could have better image software.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 09:06 PM   #3
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
Kindle II has battery saving technology, having a darker images/text means using more juice. People like to have lot of juice. Its compromise
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 09:09 PM   #4
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matches Malone View Post
Hi just got the kindle 2 and I'm noticing right away that the text and images in books are not as dark and black as the original kindle. This seems like a step backwards. I'm gonna try and post some pictures soon. Has anyone else noticed this?

Heard another poster say the same thing over on the K2 forums.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 09:13 PM   #5
nelamvr6
Zealot
nelamvr6 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.nelamvr6 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.nelamvr6 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.nelamvr6 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.nelamvr6 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Oasis 2 (2017)
I have not compared the two side by side, but I can say that I have not had a single issue reading the K2. The text looks sharp and clear to me.
nelamvr6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 09:23 PM   #6
bwaldron
Wizard
bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles: Paperwhite Signature Ed., Oasis 2, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ervserver View Post
Kindle II has battery saving technology, having a darker images/text means using more juice. People like to have lot of juice. Its compromise
I really don't think this applies with the e-ink screens, does it?
bwaldron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 09:26 PM   #7
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Have sent a message to the duck. She has both K's.

Should be interesting to see the difference.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 09:57 PM   #8
Matches Malone
Connoisseur
Matches Malone can eat soup with a fork.Matches Malone can eat soup with a fork.Matches Malone can eat soup with a fork.Matches Malone can eat soup with a fork.Matches Malone can eat soup with a fork.Matches Malone can eat soup with a fork.Matches Malone can eat soup with a fork.Matches Malone can eat soup with a fork.Matches Malone can eat soup with a fork.Matches Malone can eat soup with a fork.Matches Malone can eat soup with a fork.

added pics to first post
Old 02-25-2009, 10:57 PM   #9
stevenmoy
Zealot
stevenmoy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.stevenmoy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.stevenmoy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.stevenmoy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle 2
most likely the image inside the book is color, when Kindle 2 has more shades of gray, it can draw the gray that matches closer to the original color picture.
stevenmoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 11:23 PM   #10
S.Canton
Groupie
S.Canton began at the beginning.

I hadn't really noticed this to be honest, but I know the K2 is capable of a much higher gradient, so perhaps that's a factor.
S.Canton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 11:29 PM   #11
Matches Malone
Connoisseur

If you look at the last picture I uploaded you can see the ghosting problem on the kindle 2 that's not evident on the kindle 1. both those photos are from pages right after a large picture in the book.
Old 02-25-2009, 11:34 PM   #12
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
Dunno I sorta made it up as a possible solution. It's my Dell training, I can't help it

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwaldron View Post
I really don't think this applies with the e-ink screens, does it?
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 11:43 PM   #13
nremondelli
Zealot
nremondelli is on a distinguished road

Device: none
I noticed the same thing and was going to post a question. I don't have my first Kindle to compare it to, but I can tell the text isn't nearly as dark. Not sure what to do with it.

Also, when I go from screensaver to text, I can still see the slide power button text faintly on the screen. Anyone else?
nremondelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 11:49 PM   #14
stevenmoy
Zealot
stevenmoy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.stevenmoy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.stevenmoy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.stevenmoy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

try bump the font size to the largest size and study the character to see if black is really black.
stevenmoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 11:58 PM   #15
bwaldron
Wizard
bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles: Paperwhite Signature Ed., Oasis 2, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ervserver View Post
Dunno I sorta made it up as a possible solution. It's my Dell training, I can't help it
bwaldron is offline   Reply With Quote