Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Related Tools

Notices

Old 12-10-2012, 04:39 AM   #1
readeronthestorm
readeronthestorm began at the beginning.

Device: android tablet
Problems with calibre library

I recently start using Calibre and I'm going to do it from 2 different pc (home and office). In this sense, in the home PC after downloading Calibre, i put the library folder In a Google drive folder. At that point I downloaded Calibre also from the PC office and I chose for the library the same Google drive folder. But what happens opening the second Calibre is that you can see all the books, expect but the covers (who are seen regularly from the other pc) and what is even stranger, clicking on any of the books a window is opened that says "the book has not ............ formats available" and therefore not nothing opens. Someone can help me?

Last edited by readeronthestorm; 12-10-2012 at 04:45 AM.
readeronthestorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 04:46 AM   #2
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by readeronthestorm View Post
I recently start using Calibre and I'm going to do it from 2 different pc (home and office). In this sense, in the home PC after downloading Calibre, i put the library folder In a Google drive folder.
I found the following in another thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaley View Post
Google drive cannot currently be used to sync calibre libraries because it removes parts of file names. In particular, it removes the calibre database ID from the names (the number in the parentheses). Dropbox does not do this, and calibre library sync works well as long as the single-writer rule is respected.

It is difficult to understand how google thinks that drive is a usable product when it changes the names of files. What substance are they smoking?
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-10-2012, 04:52 AM   #3
readeronthestorm
readeronthestorm began at the beginning.

Device: android tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorOhh View Post
I found the following in another thread.
Thank you very much!!!!
readeronthestorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 05:09 AM   #4
Divingduck
Wizard
Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650
The better way is may be to use a USB-Stick in combination of a synchronizer tool like SyncToy or similar tools. In addition I add a portable version of calibre to be independent from infrastructure.
I use this since long time and it works very well.

Last edited by Divingduck; 12-10-2012 at 05:11 AM.
Divingduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 06:24 AM   #5
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
Other cloud services such as Dropbox and SkyDrive seem to work OK with Calibre. I expect at some point the GoogleDrive issue will be seen as a bug (I cannot see how altering file/folder names cannot be considered a bug) will be fixed.

However in all cases one has to be aware of the restriction that Calibre is designed (currently at least) to be single-user and you cannot have multiple instances of Calibre running simultaneously against the same library unless you want to risk corruption/lost books.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert