Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 07-11-2012, 01:50 PM   #16
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc
even more outrageous still works for me cause that background is not really what the story is about
But would it "still work for you" if you read it for the very first time today? I know its sort of impossible to answer that question impartially/truthfully, but these are the things I worry about when considering going back to read "influential genre classics." I'm weird that way. I want the same experience people had when reading those influential works at the time they were busy being influential. And I don't think that's possible. So it's not that I'm worried about them not being "good," or not "holding up," but rather that I've already missed out what made them special in the first place -- the fact that nothing else like them existed when I first experienced them.
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 01:51 PM   #17
ametzler
Zealot
ametzler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ametzler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ametzler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ametzler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ametzler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ametzler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ametzler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ametzler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ametzler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ametzler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ametzler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite II
4/10. I started so well: 1 check, 2 check, 3 check, 4 no, 5 check, nothing else.

I definitey would not place Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell on a top list, as I cannot remember a lot about it except for kind-of-nice but not gripping.

Regarding Dune: The story is great, but I would have prefered if it was told with suspense as major goal instead of like a messiah story.
ametzler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 02:09 PM   #18
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
But would it "still work for you" if you read it for the very first time today? ...
Yes, that's exactly what I'm saying. Anything that is properly written will stand the test of time because it is self-contained, this is what the classics are. IMO.

Wait are you talking about Dune or Princess of Mars?

Both work for me and I've recently re-read the Burroughs. I have also re-read some of the Martian Chronicles and would say that it does not stand up as well as either of the others.

Last edited by kennyc; 07-11-2012 at 02:12 PM.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 02:33 PM   #19
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
I think Dune holds up real well also. I try to read it again every few years.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 02:47 PM   #20
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Both work for me and I've recently re-read the Burroughs. I have also re-read some of the Martian Chronicles and would say that it does not stand up as well as either of the others.
I think you might have misunderstood what I'm asking. Your re-reads are influenced by your initial reading. That's unavoidable. Even if you don't remember specific details when you re-read, you have nostalgic feelings about the book from reading it way back when that are ever present. What I'm asking is how could you possibly know how well Dune (or Princess of Mars) "holds up today"... unless you were reading them for the very first time, ever... today?

I did mention I'm weird, right?

Last edited by DiapDealer; 07-11-2012 at 02:49 PM.
Old 07-11-2012, 02:50 PM   #21
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Dune is my absolute fav sci-fi book and series! I'll take it over anything done by Asimov and Bradbury.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 02:52 PM   #22
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Whistling softly, monkey just walks away without comment
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 02:54 PM   #23
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
I've read Dune, the whole Foundation series, and 1984. I've heard of several of the others, but other than an abortive attempt at reading Cryptonomicon, I've never picked them up. The Long Tomorrow looks like something I'd like so I'll probably give that a go, also Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell.

I'm surprised Childhood's End isn't on the list. It's much talked about as one of the best SF book ever written, but most people haven't read it. I thought it was only okay.
carld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 03:00 PM   #24
cjr72
Groupie
cjr72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cjr72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cjr72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cjr72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cjr72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cjr72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cjr72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cjr72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cjr72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cjr72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cjr72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 6p, Nexus 10
I've read the Foundation series and 1984. I have to admit that I had started Cryptonomicon but didn't finish it. At the time that it came out the only Stephenson book that I had read was Snow Crash and I think that was clouding my expectations.
cjr72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 03:44 PM   #25
kennyc
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I think you might have misunderstood what I'm asking. Your re-reads are influenced by your initial reading. That's unavoidable. Even if you don't remember specific details when you re-read, you have nostalgic feelings about the book from reading it way back when that are ever present. What I'm asking is how could you possibly know how well Dune (or Princess of Mars) "holds up today"... unless you were reading them for the very first time, ever... today?

No, I understood your question perfectly and no it's not that I have an attachment to them at all, they simply hold up. Try it, you'll like it.
Old 07-11-2012, 04:07 PM   #26
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
No, I understood your question perfectly and no it's not that I have an attachment to them at all, they simply hold up. Try it, you'll like it.
Sorry... no offense. But it's my contention that reading them initially at a much earlier date renders you ill-equipped to impartially determine a work's current "hold up-ed-ness." I would need the opinion of someone who has read it for the very first time within the past year.

I believe you believe it it holds up well though, for what that's worth ... and I still may try it some day, but frankly, there's little hope that it could possibly live up to the expectations that others' praise over the years have built up around it. I'm sure it's a fine book/series, but its prime "need to be read right now" moment and my prime "really in the mood to read something like this" moment have just missed each other I'm afraid. Happens all the time.
Old 07-11-2012, 04:09 PM   #27
kennyc

Again I understand what you are saying, I just disagree. Otherwise there would be no such thing as classics.

A classic can be read anytime, any age (yes, for the first time) and have something to say to the reader.
Old 07-11-2012, 05:59 PM   #28
din155
Guru
din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Win 10 thinkpad 8in
I have read Dune, 1984 and Foundation. Just out of curiosity, has anyone read later books of Dune series? I could not bring myself to read rest of the series as the characters got altered just too much for my taste.
din155 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 06:08 PM   #29
twowheels
Wizard
twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, iPad Pro 10", iPhone 15 Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrNefario View Post
Are there really any SF readers who haven't read Dune?
It's on my Kindle vying for attention, and I've finished the Foundation Trilogy, so it's not that I'm afraid of heavy SF.
twowheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 06:13 PM   #30
kennyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by din155 View Post
I have read Dune, 1984 and Foundation. Just out of curiosity, has anyone read later books of Dune series? I could not bring myself to read rest of the series as the characters got altered just too much for my taste.
I believe I read the first two sequels but not beyond that....got too crazy.