Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 06-12-2014, 05:33 PM   #16
maakros
maakros , Klaatu Barada Niktu!maakros , Klaatu Barada Niktu!maakros , Klaatu Barada Niktu!maakros , Klaatu Barada Niktu!maakros , Klaatu Barada Niktu!maakros , Klaatu Barada Niktu!maakros , Klaatu Barada Niktu!maakros , Klaatu Barada Niktu!maakros , Klaatu Barada Niktu!maakros , Klaatu Barada Niktu!maakros , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Sony DPT-S1
Fgdas, I am not sure but I find it very unlikely.
maakros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 04:37 AM   #17
maakros
maakros , Klaatu Barada Niktu!maakros , Klaatu Barada Niktu!maakros , Klaatu Barada Niktu!maakros , Klaatu Barada Niktu!maakros , Klaatu Barada Niktu!maakros , Klaatu Barada Niktu!maakros , Klaatu Barada Niktu!maakros , Klaatu Barada Niktu!maakros , Klaatu Barada Niktu!maakros , Klaatu Barada Niktu!maakros , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Minor update,

I tried to use the US update over the japanese model from this link

http://esupport.sony.com/US/p/model-home.pl?mdl=DPTS1

With no success. As expected a message pops up during the installation saying "this model is not supported by this update" and does not allow to continue.

Anyone else out there trying to get the english firmware in the japanese model?
maakros is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-05-2014, 02:59 PM   #18
sbl
sbl began at the beginning.

Device: kindle DX
Quote:
Originally Posted by skipper113 View Post
I bought a DPT-S1 for around 90,000 yen = $900. I bought it for the purpose of reading pdfs and writing memos on presentation materials in meetings etc.

The device works as expected, and I use it mostly to read epaper editions of WSJ, company annual reports and calibre extracted pdfs. Zooming and switching to 4x4 or 16x16 is nice, but its speed is not anything close to an ipad and can be stressful especially when your pdf has a lot of pictures.

Writing feels much better than any pen/stylus I tried for thinkpad tablet 2, ipad using evernote's pen, or z ultra. It is not as good as the boogie board though, since DPT-s1 does still lag a bit and the pen does not have greyscale shades embedded. Your writing looks 'blocky' (2x2 pixel) and after a few seconds lag, it tries to smooth out your writing to put some anti-alias effect onto the writing. Touch of the penpoint is softer than that of a thinkpad stylus, and there is less sound of the tip touching the screen which sometimes bothers you when you write on a glass screen such as an ipad.

Apologies for the long reply. I am happy to answer any questions.
I have used dpt-s1 for a week and I love it. I use this device for reading professional pdf's (some are scanned pdf's) and it did the job well. I think there is no other device on the market has all the advantages dpt-s1 has:

1. no backlight
2. non-glossy screen
3. large display (especially suitable for a4 or letter size documents)
4. light weight
5. good reading interface

BTW, does anyone know how to make the pdf fit the width of the display of dpt-s1 rather than fit the height? Thanks.

@skipper113
Where did you buy your dpt-s1? It is much cheaper than mine which cost me $1300. It is interesting that you like the pen of dpt-s1 better then thinkpad tablet 2. I have tpt2 and wacom+onenote is still much better for me to take notes (although the pen of dpt-s1 is not bad).
sbl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2024, 06:55 PM   #19
CagatayAksu
CagatayAksu began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maakros View Post
Minor update,

I tried to use the US update over the japanese model from this link

http://esupport.sony.com/US/p/model-home.pl?mdl=DPTS1

With no success. As expected a message pops up during the installation saying "this model is not supported by this update" and does not allow to continue.

Anyone else out there trying to get the english firmware in the japanese model?
I was able to update my Japanese unit to the latest firmware by downloading and using the updating tool from the Japanese Sony Site. So, I am guessing even the updates are region-locked. Did you ever manage to get your device to run english firmware? I am starting to lose hope. :/
CagatayAksu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2024, 06:56 PM   #20
CagatayAksu
CagatayAksu began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joblack View Post
It would be even more interesting to know if it it is possible to flash a Japanese DPT-S1 with an American firmware. That would solve a lot of problems.
Does anyone know the answer to this question ?
CagatayAksu is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-12-2024, 07:08 PM   #21
gamba66
Zealot
gamba66 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gamba66 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gamba66 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gamba66 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gamba66 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gamba66 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gamba66 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gamba66 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gamba66 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gamba66 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gamba66 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Hanvon E920
Quote:
Originally Posted by CagatayAksu View Post
Does anyone know the answer to this question ?
AFAIK its not possible and there wasn't any update on this status

The problem is that there is no public method on how to root the dpt-s1 even though there were chinese sellers that sold jailbroken and rooted dpt-s1's

someone should make a xda developer post
gamba66 is offline   Reply With Quote