Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 04-07-2008, 03:17 AM   #1
Icarusbop
Groupie
Icarusbop knows what's going on.Icarusbop knows what's going on.Icarusbop knows what's going on.Icarusbop knows what's going on.Icarusbop knows what's going on.Icarusbop knows what's going on.Icarusbop knows what's going on.Icarusbop knows what's going on.Icarusbop knows what's going on.Icarusbop knows what's going on.Icarusbop knows what's going on.

Device: PRS505
505 USB charging

Hello:
I bought a power to USB adapter, it plugs into the wall and has a usb socket.
You plug your usb cable it it and the device in question and it charges them. After all, all usb devices are 5v.

It works on everything I have (pda, ipod) - but not on my 505 - it actually manages to drain the battery of the 505! Any ideas what is going on here? This was supposed to be my charging solution on holiday, but so far it's a no go!

What have Sony done to the usb and/or firmware to stop it charging from the usb? Do we suspect it is done on purpose so you have to pay their fee for a mains charger?
Icarusbop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 07:49 AM   #2
gwynevans
Wizzard
gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 2, iPhone 6s, Kindle Voyage & Kindle PaperWhite
I suspect that it's down at the details of the USB protocol & I'd not like to guess which is doing the 'right' thing. I know that there's something about there being supposed to be some form of device negotiation to verify a particular level of protocol support before a device is allowed to try & use the max current that the specification allows, so maybe it's trying to do that & failing to get the response it expects.

Personally, I bought a cheap generic (i.e. non-Sony) PSP charger & use that, which has the advantages that it charges quickly & also allows me to read while it's charging.
gwynevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-07-2008, 08:00 AM   #3
WillAdams
Wizard
WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite (300ppi), Samsung Galaxy Book 12
I had a similar experience.

Interestingly, my PRS-505 behaves in the same way when plugged into my Fujitsu Stylistic (on which I haven't yet installed driver software to make it work).

William
WillAdams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 02:59 PM   #4
DrMoze
Booknut
DrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with others

Device: Sony Reader 500/505/300/350, Nook Glowlight Plus (6")
This 'feature' has been noted many times on the forum here; a quick exercise of the search function will help.

In summary, the most reliable way of charging a Reader is through the PCP jack (the round yellow hole), and *not* through the mini-usb connector. You can use any generic Sony PSP charger, or a usb-to-psp cable, which can be plugged into a computer or any usb wall-wort or auto charger.

The mini-usb port requires some level of communication with a computer to charge a Reader. And, the PSP jack charges more quickly anyway.
DrMoze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 05:36 AM   #5
Icarusbop
Groupie
Icarusbop knows what's going on.Icarusbop knows what's going on.Icarusbop knows what's going on.Icarusbop knows what's going on.Icarusbop knows what's going on.Icarusbop knows what's going on.Icarusbop knows what's going on.Icarusbop knows what's going on.Icarusbop knows what's going on.Icarusbop knows what's going on.Icarusbop knows what's going on.

Device: PRS505
Thanks for the info:
I knew people were talking about using PSP jack cables in other threads but never knew the unit refused to charge from a simple usb adapter.

I have now ordered a couple of usb - to psp cables, hope fully this will solve my problem.
Icarusbop is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-08-2008, 11:16 AM   #6
DrMoze
Booknut
DrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with others

Device: Sony Reader 500/505/300/350, Nook Glowlight Plus (6")
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icarusbop View Post
Thanks for the info:
I knew people were talking about using PSP jack cables in other threads but never knew the unit refused to charge from a simple usb adapter.
[From multiple threads here]

Quote:
Originally Posted by kezza View Post
Most usb chargers don't work with the 505. It is designed only to pull a charge on the USB cable if it's attached to the computer, and even then not all computer USB ports work. The going theory is that the device requires slightly higher voltage through USB than standard wall chargers provide.
To be sure that your 505 is charging, look at the LED on the top of the device, it will glow red when the device is charging, and flash amber when the memory is being accessed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ervserver View Post
I've read about all sorts of strange USB port charging issues, including draining the battery. In my experience I've not found this method ideal nor totally reliable so I went and bought an inexpensive Sony PSP charger and use that method, works great
Quote:
Originally Posted by Penforhire View Post
I now find our 505's sometimes, but not always, charging with non-PC USB chargers. Very strange. This is for two 505's purchased at different times.

Sometimes when I plug them in they 'think' they're connected (USB connection symbol on display) but instead of charging they rapidly discharge! It'll go from almost-charged to fully empty (with alert-exclamation symbol on display) overnight.

I am extra-careful to fully insert the charging port so I am mystified as to our random difficulties. Other times I get a perfect charge from the same charging device! The only consistent behavior, I think, is the red LED on the reader lights up shortly after connecting if it is charging correctly. If it stays off then I always get a discharge instead.

I observed this incorrect charging behavior from three non-PC mini-USB-output chargers. And two 505's. Seems unlikely to be the same thing 'broken' on two 505's. More likely a voltage detection routine that is timed incorrectly on the reader versus several chargers, no? The PC connection is batting 1000, always charges (crosses fingers)!
Quote:
Originally Posted by kb7rjf View Post
I tried to charge mine from the USB charger that I use with my Blackberry. No Joy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mogui View Post
I have tried other USB connections for charging as well and they drain the Reader's battery rather than charging it. I have several small chargers that are designed to plug into a mini-USB connection to provide charging power. They do not work with the Reader.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gordon View Post
I've a fairly new 505 and had no trouble charging it through the USB port with my laptop.

However I just recently took a no-computer trip and failed to charge the 505 with the USB port using two different USB solutions that I use for other devices:

- a micro-USB power supply used for a Windows Mobile Smartphone that plugs straight into the wall

- a iPod power adaptor with a USB/USB connector (as opposed to the normal USB/iPod dock)

In general this solution has worked well for other USB devices, but the Sony did not seem to take a charge, and indeed seemed to run flat with the power-supply method.

Bringing the reader home and connecting to the computer quickly charged it again though...
Quote:
Originally Posted by kezza View Post
Yeah, I've also tried it with a Motorola mini-usb charger (for my bluetooth headset) and an iPod usb charger, neither work. Looks like I'll need to give in and buy a PSP charger for it, instead.
As far as I can tell, this device won't charge from a USB port that's not attached to a computer. Others claim that it works, but maybe that's just the 500?

etc. etc. etc. (Just in case anyone else misses this common issue!)

General Reader charging advice: Use a PSP charger or cable (that fits in the round yellow hole) and NOT the mini-usb jack! It's faster and much less finicky.

Last edited by DrMoze; 04-08-2008 at 02:34 PM.
DrMoze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 04:54 PM   #7
Zabuton
Zabuton began at the beginning.

Device: BB8800/Sony PRS-505
This should be made a sticky under Reader Troubleshooting.

Using PSP charger is the easiest. I have had Motorola phones/Sony Ericsson/WM devices/Blackberry devices that refuses to charge via USB from certain laptops/Wall plug usb chargers. Sometimes it is just the USB cable (yes, it is dumb, but I have no real idea why). The same failed device can work on another laptop too (But that is not the solution the user looks for)

ps. I work in an IT dept, hence my constant exposure to these gadgets
Zabuton is offline   Reply With Quote