Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 06-14-2013, 11:01 AM   #31
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
Datalogics has a reader for PC (DL Reader: http://www.datalogics.com/products/rmsdk/dlreader.asp). I have download links for Nook books (text link under the buttons for each book) and the DL Reader acts just like Adobe Digiital Editions, but the books end up in "DL Library". If you don't complete the hashtag business in DL reader, the books "land" initially in downloads, and can be imported into calibre. Alf magic works just fine on these books either way.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 03:29 PM   #32
Kirtai
Addict
Kirtai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kirtai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kirtai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kirtai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kirtai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kirtai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kirtai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kirtai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kirtai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kirtai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kirtai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, PRS-650, iPad, Samsung Galaxy SII (JB), Google Nexus 7 (2013)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham View Post
And my Fictionwise library never did turn up.
Ditto.
Kirtai is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-14-2013, 04:30 PM   #33
cromag
Surfin the alpha waves ~~
cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook Lite & Mini, Nook STR, Kobo, Hanvon N516, Kindle 2, Androids
I'm in the US, and my Fictionwise library never made it to B&N. Fortunately, I maintain local copies of everything.

I have the option of using an Andoid tablet to get files to my PC and then ereader. I download directly to Firefox mostly, but my Dell magazines don't offer that option. I download to the tablet, connect the tablet to the netbook (usb to usb), and I can access the tablet as if it was a flash drive. Once you know where the files are, it's not too bad.

I never actually had the PC Nook App.
cromag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 05:22 PM   #34
MikeB1972
Gnu
MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook,JetBook Lite,PRS-300-350-505-650,+ran out of space to type
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Did it ever (just out of curiosity)?

I can go the android route myself rather easily (should my download button disappear), but I imagine I'd just opt to buy from a store that didn't make it as awkward to get a physical copy of the file on my PC.
Nope, never had it, nook support was useless, first telling me how to sideload content bought elsewhere then ignoring any further email. The only reason I still buy anything from them is I used to use b&n to, err, avoid geo-restrictions for stuff I Couldn't get in the UK, as I used the same email it seems their system has linked the UK and US accounts so I can download from the US site if I wish.

Generally I just use kobo now (used to use BOB most).

Off topic -Just typed this on my sony tablet and, boy, do I miss the gesture typing I get on the nexus.
MikeB1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 06:49 PM   #35
Matth79
Zealot
Matth79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Matth79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Matth79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Matth79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Matth79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Matth79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Matth79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Matth79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Matth79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Matth79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Matth79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch
Just grabbed Nook for PC from a download site - though I guess at some point, it may end up incompatible
Matth79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-14-2013, 09:51 PM   #36
cfrizz
Wizard
cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung 54A, Kobo Libra H2O, Samsung S6 Lite
It sounds like they are doing everything possible to NOT let you download your books to your pc for permanent storage. And they wonder why people start to pirate ebooks! I will never use B&N or Amazon to purchase my ebooks. If I can't store them on my pc I don't want them.

I refuse to let myself be locked into anything. The publishers want us to buy the same books over & over again to put them on our different readers and the bookstores want to lock us in to only using their stores. They can ALL go to hell!
cfrizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 11:07 PM   #37
Xanthe
Plan B Is Now In Force
Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aluratek,Sony 350/T1,Pandigital,eBM 911,Nook HD/HD+,Fire HDX 7/8.9,PW2
I'll buy from them if they have the books I want; I just strip the DRM from all of them and convert them to usable formats for all of my ereaders. I'm not going to narrow my buying choices just because they are trying to lock their customers into a dedicated format.
Xanthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 12:32 AM   #38
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
I don't understand the trouble you guys are having downloading a purchased ebook from B&N. I just looked at MyNook Library and it lists 63 ebooks all of which have a download link, some as a big blue button with "Download" in white letters and many with "Download" in smaller blue letters at the bottom of the books entry in the list. Clicking on either results in the download of a numbered .epub file.

As "Cromag" mentioned, you don't need Nook for PC, to do any of this I don't have it on this current build of my PC.

The numbered file has the DRM applied to it and can be read, as is, by any reader or reading device that supports B&N DRM. If it is the first ebook purchased with that particular name and credit card number, used on that reader or device, you will be asked to enter the data to unlock the ebook. All subsequent ebooks purchaced with the same data, will open, on those readers or devices without you having to input anything.

With the proper plugin calibre can also work with the downloaded file. You may have to configure the plugin with your data, first.

So, to me the simple download of the .epub file, without needing anything special on my computer and without having any device authorized by someone's server, is the least intrusive approach to purchasing ebooks.

To me, first downloading an .ascm file before I can get the .epub file I paid for is a totally unnecessary complication.

Luck;
Ken

Last edited by Ken Maltby; 06-15-2013 at 02:32 AM.
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 01:12 AM   #39
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Maltby View Post
I don't understand the trouble you guys are having downloading a purchased ebook from B&N. I just looked at MyNook Library and it lists 63 ebooks all of which have a download link, some as a big blue button with "Download" in white letters and many with "Download" in smaller blue letters at the bottom of the books entry in the list. Clicking on either results in the download of a numbered .epub file.
The people talking about not being able to download from the website are talking about the UK Nook store. It doesn't has download links available like the US one does.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 01:25 AM   #40
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
The people talking about not being able to download from the website are talking about the UK Nook store. It doesn't has download links available like the US one does.
I thought that was brand new, seems odd that they would set it up so differently. Leaving out an ability to download your purchases kinda defeats the idea of having a My Nook Library that you access from their site.

Odd, even for the Brits.

Luck;
Ken
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 02:34 AM   #41
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
Surely if you have Calibre you can download all your books to your device, hook it up to Calibre and then copy everything from the device onto your pc?

I have books in UK Nook from Fictionwise but they are already on my PC as I backed up from Fictionwise anyway. Those books in Nook are just a bonus.
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 06:34 AM   #42
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
Now this makes me think that it's possible that their intent is to eventually do away with the download button for the US. No proof at all, but it seems really odd their newest online bookstore doesn't allow for downloads to your PC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josieb1 View Post
Surely if you have Calibre you can download all your books to your device, hook it up to Calibre and then copy everything from the device onto your pc?
Yes, that works perfectly IF you have a Nook. I don't, which means if that download button ever does go away, I'll won't be buying any books from B&N.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 10:07 AM   #43
Tattncat
Bookworm
Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Tablet, Samsung Galaxy Tab3, Sony PRS700, Sony PRS505
Quote:
Originally Posted by jersysman View Post
Why could you just download to your PC. I do that. I have not used the Nook for PC program in quite a while. You download the book to your PC and then you can move it from the Download directory to Calibre or directly to your ereader through USB. No need for the Nook for PC or Nook for Mac program.

I see Diap beat me to it.
How difficult is it to remove the Nook for pc program from your pc?
Tattncat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 12:38 PM   #44
ShellShock
Wizard
ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: IPad Mini 2 Retina
I'm in the UK and I have a subscription to Asimov's magazine at B&N. I was using Nook for PC to download the epub so I could side-load onto my Kobo; this was the only legitimate way I could to buy this magazine in the UK and read it on a non-Kindle device. But Nook Web does not have any option to download magazine subscriptions that I can find, not even when I use the USA site (which I think is https://mynook.barnesandnoble.com/library.html).

For some reason my library shows up on both the USA and UK sites, but still without any of my FW purchases, which I have given up on.

Back to the main issue--now there does not seem to any legal way to get Asimov's in the UK. It is enough to make me say Aarrrrrrrrr!!!
ShellShock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 03:32 PM   #45
Graham
Wizard
Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H20, Pixel 2, Samsung Chromebook Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShellShock View Post
Back to the main issue--now there does not seem to any legal way to get Asimov's in the UK. It is enough to make me say Aarrrrrrrrr!!!
I assume you mean for your reader (it's available through Zinio and Kindle).

You could get yourself a cheap Android or iPhone. I wonder if the emulator in the Android development kit could be used?

http://developer.android.com/tools/help/emulator.html

Graham
Graham is offline   Reply With Quote