Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 04-25-2011, 01:14 PM   #1
arspr
Dead account. Bye
arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Question Auto sync is not so auto sync? (Sony PRS-650)

Hi, guys.

A question about metadata sync or maybe a tweak suggestion.

I explain myself. I've set Metadata Management to Automatic. In this way I expect that every change I make into Calibre is transferred to the e-book reader on the fly. (Example: Title corrections, Tags or any other custom field assigned to a Collection, etc.)

But I've noticed that the metadata update only happens when I start Calibre or when I connect the device. I mean, whenever I have previously started Calibre and I have previously connected the reader, then if change any metadata it doesn't update till:
  • I exit and re-start Calibre again
    or
  • I unplug and replug the reader

So:
  • Am I missing any option in Calibre?
  • Or I'm doing fine but Calibre actually doesn't have fully auto-update functionality. In this last situation:
    • Could you add it?
    • If due any technical reason this fully auto-update is not possible, could you add a "Sync NOW" option under the device button as a more elegant work-around?

Thanks in advance
arspr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 01:23 PM   #2
Manichean
Wizard
Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Cybook Gen3
Moderator Notice
Moved to correct forum.
Manichean is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-25-2011, 10:15 PM   #3
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by arspr View Post
But I've noticed that the metadata update only happens when I start Calibre or when I connect the device.
This is correct, the metadata sync only happens when your device first connects with calibre. Restarting calibre with your device connected is the same thing as connecting your device. If you restart calibre with your device in your gym bag then it won't sync, will it?

Quote:
  • Am I missing any option in Calibre?
No you're not missing anything.

Quote:
  • Or I'm doing fine but Calibre actually doesn't have fully auto-update functionality. In this last situation:
    • Could you add it?
    • If due any technical reason this fully auto-update is not possible, could you add a "Sync NOW" option under the device button as a more elegant work-around?
You're doing fine. I don't anticipate this being added as a button because this feature only works with some readers. Sony readers for sure, but I don't believe it works with Kindles or Nooks.

Your best bet is to change your work flow with connecting the reader to your computer after you finish with your changes.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 03:43 PM   #4
arspr
Dead account. Bye
arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Thanks for your reply. Don't worry much about it.

Nevertheless the "Sync now" button, if more or less easily possible would be a nice touch.
arspr is offline   Reply With Quote