Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 06-30-2010, 12:25 PM   #1
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
Technologizer: The State of iPad Satisfaction

http://technologizer.com/2010/06/30/ipad-survey/

Quote:
Executive summary in case you don’t feel like reading the rest of this article: They like it. A lot. Ninety-eight percent say they’re satisfied with their iPads overall; ninety-six percent think it’s a good value. In category after category–3G service, most of the individual bundled apps, battery life, speed, the absence of Flash–a majority of respondents are pleased.
In only one major area did unhappy campers dominate: A majority aren’t pleased with Apple’s App Store approval process. More than half also wish Apple had given the tablet printing capabilities, a memory-card slot, and a front-facing camera.
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 03:25 PM   #2
Bremen Cole
Wizard
Bremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with others

Device: iPad
A 98% satisfied rate is incredible. I can understand why.... I know for me my expectations were not all that great. I actually got it to try out, and I thought probably take back. I like my old 3G iPhone, but am not a big fan of Apple... just open minded. The device exceeded my expectations, and therefore I kept it and am extremely pleased with it.

Is the iPad perfect? Of course not. Nothing is, or ever will be. But, as I have said before, the iPad has given the most satisfying user experience to me since my Commodore 64..... and that was a long time ago

The app store is screwy (but overall the best there is anyway), printing is solved with the new printers coming out (we really need to get rid of cables anyway), memory-card slot.... sure I'll take it.... front-facing camera, I don't care but understand that many would.......
Bremen Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 03:42 PM   #3
Maggie Leung
Wizard
Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.

Device: Kindle, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bremen Cole View Post

Is the iPad perfect? Of course not. Nothing is, or ever will be. But, as I have said before, the iPad has given the most satisfying user experience to me since my Commodore 64..... and that was a long time ago
I'm with you. There are things I'd like to see improved, but I'm really getting my money's worth outta iPad.

It's my first early adopter purchase. I figured I'd resell it if I didn't like it, because it was in demand. Turns out I love this thing.
Maggie Leung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 03:54 PM   #4
Fotoman
Groupie
Fotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it is

Device: iPad 64GB wifi (Sony 505 RIP)
Likewise.

I use mine extensively every day to do much more than I ever expected I would. I've like the Tablet PC concept for many years but until now, no one had done it in a truly useable way.

This is only my second Apple product ever and the first one, the iPhone, I didn't even choose: it was given to me as my work cellphone.

@ Bremen... the C64 was actually my 2nd home PC. My 1st was an Atari 400 with membrane keyboard... back when 5 1/4" floppies were optional and programs came either in 8K cartridges or audio tape for sequential reads and took several minutes to load

Last edited by Fotoman; 06-30-2010 at 03:59 PM.
Fotoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 03:58 PM   #5
Bluebaize
Enthusiast
Bluebaize doesn't litterBluebaize doesn't litter

Device: iPad
Quote:
I like my old 3G iPhone, but am not a big fan of Apple... just open minded. The device exceeded my expectations, and therefore I kept it and am extremely pleased with it.
Much like me, i'm not a lover of Apple or the way they have to tight a restriction on what software you can use with their stuff and how you can connect them up. I do however love tech gadgets and computers and the iPad just seemed like something worth taking a punt on, and i've never looked back.

Quote:
I agree. Sure there are things that could be better or added, but where do you draw the line. Without doubt the iPad will see more generations over the years with added features and fixes/tweaks to current stuff. The user experience is one of the things that really makes it, it just works and works so well. I liked my Commodore 64 too, it was so great for it's time

Quote:
The app store is screwy (but overall the best there is anyway), printing is solved with the new printers coming out (we really need to get rid of cables anyway), memory-card slot.... sure I'll take it.... front-facing camera, I don't care but understand that many would.......
Regarding the app store and iTunes, I have found stuff on their that is just what I need and while it is freely available on the web (same stuff from the same people), I would never have thought of looking or known if it wasn't for it appearing amongst other items and search results in the first place.
Bluebaize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 05:13 AM   #6
davebalme
Enthusiast
davebalme began at the beginning.

Device: Pocketbook 360, Ipad, Kobo Wireless, Archos 70b & 80G9. And a Kobo Arc
I really did a lot of soul searching before plunking down £700 (+ 2 year Apple Care) and barring one (very painful) hiccup (a corrupted app which lost a lot of transferred files) I think it is a fantastic piece of kit. Admittedly I'm currently only using it for reading books (Stanza) & comics (ComicZeal) but it's relegated my 360 to the drawer.
davebalme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 09:42 AM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
It's one of those devices that, the more you use it, the more you find you can use it for. I'm delighted with it.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 10:31 AM   #8
leebase
Karma Kameleon
leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPhone X, Kindle Fire Tab HD 8, Walmart Onn
I too am very happy with mine. There will be better tablets to come...and I'm not a fan of every decision Apple makes. But I love my iPhone and my kids love their iPod touches....and so the iPad was an easy risk to take. I'm very happy with my choice.

Lee
leebase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 01:27 PM   #9
sunnysmiles
Addict
sunnysmiles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sunnysmiles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sunnysmiles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sunnysmiles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sunnysmiles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sunnysmiles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sunnysmiles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sunnysmiles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sunnysmiles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sunnysmiles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sunnysmiles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: I pad air, kindle pw2 and kindle touch , kindle had fire Nook pad nook
Im really happy with my purchase . I am delighted with it so far. It would be nice to have a memory slot and more memory
sunnysmiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 07:42 AM   #10
nursedude
Zealot
nursedude has exceeded all limitations known to mankindnursedude has exceeded all limitations known to mankindnursedude has exceeded all limitations known to mankindnursedude has exceeded all limitations known to mankindnursedude has exceeded all limitations known to mankindnursedude has exceeded all limitations known to mankindnursedude has exceeded all limitations known to mankindnursedude has exceeded all limitations known to mankindnursedude has exceeded all limitations known to mankindnursedude has exceeded all limitations known to mankindnursedude has exceeded all limitations known to mankind

Device: Kobo (Original), KT, iPad 1, iPhone 4S, iPad 3rd gen
I drank the kool-aid on Friday and bought the 16gb wifi iPad. I'd been flirting with the idea for a while and went in to a Best Buy to have a better look at them. From the moment I picked it up I was hooked. An amazing device.

I've had an iPod touch for a few years and really liked it but was not a fan of reading entire novels on it. The iPad is much better suited to that with it's "slightly" bigger screen. The iBook app is a pleasure to use for both epub and pdf formats although I do prefer Stanza in some situations.

I also have a kobo reader which is nice for on the go reading and weighs in at just over 200gm (~ 2/3 less than the iPad).

Haven't been a huge fan of graphic novels (aka comic books) until now but the way the iPad renders them is amazing.

My only complaint is that for $500+ they could have put a small office suite on the device instead of geting us to pay $10 for iNotes etc. Oh and an SD slot would be nice...

The fun of owning it/using does take me back to my own C-64 days...my we've come a long way...
nursedude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 08:14 AM   #11
athlonkmf
Guru
athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, Sony PRS-505, Kindle 3, Sony PRS350, iPad 64GB
Quote:
Originally Posted by nursedude View Post

My only complaint is that for $500+ they could have put a small office suite on the device instead of geting us to pay $10 for iNotes etc.
That's really not advisable, as a built-in app can't get updated until the whole firmware is updated. And you really want frequent updates for iworks. Also, the price is actually meant as a limit for other devvers. It's apple's way of saying 'if you want to charge more, your app should be better than iworks'
athlonkmf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 03:17 PM   #12
TimMason
Big Ears
TimMason knows what time it isTimMason knows what time it isTimMason knows what time it isTimMason knows what time it isTimMason knows what time it isTimMason knows what time it isTimMason knows what time it isTimMason knows what time it isTimMason knows what time it isTimMason knows what time it isTimMason knows what time it is

Device: Onyx Boox 60, iPad
I guess my reason for hanging back must be pretty unusual, then. I use my portable computer linked to a projector to display my word-processor and use as a white-board. It seems the iPad limits the use of external video display to Keynote.
TimMason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 03:22 PM   #13
Tamara
Evangelist
Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by athlonkmf View Post
That's really not advisable, as a built-in app can't get updated until the whole firmware is updated. And you really want frequent updates for iworks. Also, the price is actually meant as a limit for other devvers. It's apple's way of saying 'if you want to charge more, your app should be better than iworks'
Actually, the iWorks apps can be updated completely independent of the firmware since they are Apps rather than hard coded as part of the firmware.
Tamara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 03:24 PM   #14
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimMason View Post
I guess my reason for hanging back must be pretty unusual, then. I use my portable computer linked to a projector to display my word-processor and use as a white-board. It seems the iPad limits the use of external video display to Keynote.
I don't think it is so much that it is explicitly limited, rather that apps have to specifically code for it, and few have.
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 04:23 PM   #15
TimMason
Big Ears
TimMason knows what time it isTimMason knows what time it isTimMason knows what time it isTimMason knows what time it isTimMason knows what time it isTimMason knows what time it isTimMason knows what time it isTimMason knows what time it isTimMason knows what time it isTimMason knows what time it isTimMason knows what time it is

Device: Onyx Boox 60, iPad
Quote:
I don't think it is so much that it is explicitly limited, rather that apps have to specifically code for it, and few have.
That sounds right. I wish they'd coded it into Pages.
TimMason is offline   Reply With Quote