Notices

Old 03-13-2009, 09:05 PM   #16
jctarvin
jctarvin began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
How can I tell if it's DRM Free....

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
...You don't need to email the KindleFIXed file to Amazon. Like DRM-free MOBI ebooks, just copy it via USB to the Kindle's "documents" directory.
I'm new to ebooks with Kindle2. Exploring sources for free content. How can I tell if a Mobi book prc file is DRM free (especially the ones listed here on mobileread??)
Thanks!!
John Tarvin
jctarvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 09:34 PM   #17
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by jctarvin View Post
I'm new to ebooks with Kindle2. Exploring sources for free content. How can I tell if a Mobi book prc file is DRM free (especially the ones listed here on mobileread??)
The ebooks posted here, and at feedbooks.com and manybooks.net (for a longer list see Wiki: Free eBooks) are free and DRM-free. There are also ebooks you buy which are DRM-free. In general, if you did not register a device PID with the site, then the MOBI ebook is DRM free.

On a Mac, the easiest way to find out if a MOBI ebook has DRM may be to try converting it using Calibre. This should give you an error message if DRM is present. Or just copy it to your Kindle and try opening it. If it has DRM then you will get the message you have already seen with your library book.

Note that OverDrive ebooks have DRM, and KindleFIX does not remove DRM (which is why it is legal). If your Kindle PID is in the library ebook and you ran it through KindleFIX then the Kindle should open the ebook, rather than giving you an error message. It will automatically expire after the normal period (typically 21 days I think).
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 05:12 PM   #18
kevindorsey
Evangelist
kevindorsey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.kevindorsey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.kevindorsey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: kindle
"a device PID with the site, then the MOBI ebook is DRM free." Need to remember this, a big time and nerve saver.
kevindorsey is offline   Reply With Quote