Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 09-22-2012, 08:15 AM   #1
NASCARaddicted
Addict
NASCARaddicted herds cats with both ease and graceNASCARaddicted herds cats with both ease and graceNASCARaddicted herds cats with both ease and graceNASCARaddicted herds cats with both ease and graceNASCARaddicted herds cats with both ease and graceNASCARaddicted herds cats with both ease and graceNASCARaddicted herds cats with both ease and graceNASCARaddicted herds cats with both ease and graceNASCARaddicted herds cats with both ease and graceNASCARaddicted herds cats with both ease and graceNASCARaddicted herds cats with both ease and grace

Device: BeBook One, Pocketbook Touch, Pocketbook Touch HD
I need an english/US ebook store without DRM

Hello. I think this fits best in General Discussions, so ...

I totally hate DRM. So far I bought no book (or mp3) with DRM, and I don't plan on changing that.

Currently, most ebooks that I have are either old ones from Gutenberg.org or they are selfscanned. Oh, and to add: I hardly read any paper books nowadays.

But now, I heard about a book about NASCAR, that I really want to read. The book is also available as ebook, and so of course, I would love to read it on my ebook-reader. I already found it (sometimes along with other interesting NASCAR ebooks) in a few different ebook-stores, but they all use DRM.

So, is there an ebook-store that doesn't use DRM? Or is the use of DRM mandated by the ebook-publisher (that means I would have no chance)

Also, as far as I know, it is illegal to remove the DRM, at least in some countries. Is that true?
NASCARaddicted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 08:53 AM   #2
Hellmark
Wizard
Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nokia N800, PRS-505, Nook STR Glowlight, Kindle 3
Any books from Tor, Baen, Smashwords or O'Reilly are DRM free. Some books from Amazon are, just look to see if it has "unlimited" for its device limit. Outside of that, expect DRM. Many publishers require it.
Hellmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 03:01 PM   #3
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
Yes, it is true that in many countries removing DRM is illegal.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 03:14 PM   #4
cromag
Surfin the alpha waves ~~
cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook Lite & Mini, Nook STR, Kobo, Hanvon N516, Kindle 2, Androids
The Fictionwise site carries both "Secure" ebooks, with DRM, and "Multiformat" ebooks, without DRM.

Still, if you're looking for a specific title, you might go to a search engine like Inkmesh to find what stores carry it and then check the individual stores to see if they impose DRM.

Last edited by cromag; 09-22-2012 at 03:21 PM.
cromag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 03:48 PM   #5
6charlong
friendly lurker
6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, nook, Apple and Kobo
Delphi Classics sells compilations of the complete works of classic authors. Yes, they are out of copyright and you can find many of them on Guttenberg but these editions have much value added.

First, they are well formatted and of those I've seen all were free of errors.

Second, they have a TOC to all the author's works and another TOC within individual works.

Next, they include all the author's works including essays, plays, poems and often the extent library of the author's letters. They continue to add new authors so if one you're looking for isn't available it pays to check back.

These books cost from .99 to 2.99 for the complete sets and, of course, they are DRM free. The major online bookstores are starting to carry them now or you can get them directly from the publisher at:

http://delphiclassics.com/
6charlong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 04:30 PM   #6
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
DRM is generally a *publisher* requirement, not a retailer requirement.
Most retailers sell both DRM'ed and DRM-free ebooks.
So what you need to find out is if the publisher of that Nascar book insists it be sold with DRM. If they do, it won't matter which retailer you go for.
(And most do.)
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 01:18 PM   #7
banjobama
Busy Read'n
banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch Lux 5
If you have access to an online library you might check and see if they have the book you want there. It'll have DRM but at least it will be free to borrow.

Shot in the dark here, but if you're in the US military, they have an awesome ebook library. At least the Navy does, through NKO.
banjobama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 06:54 PM   #8
robbw
Connoisseur
robbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, K3
The books you get here are also DRM free.
robbw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 07:10 PM   #9
NASCARaddicted
Addict
NASCARaddicted herds cats with both ease and graceNASCARaddicted herds cats with both ease and graceNASCARaddicted herds cats with both ease and graceNASCARaddicted herds cats with both ease and graceNASCARaddicted herds cats with both ease and graceNASCARaddicted herds cats with both ease and graceNASCARaddicted herds cats with both ease and graceNASCARaddicted herds cats with both ease and graceNASCARaddicted herds cats with both ease and graceNASCARaddicted herds cats with both ease and graceNASCARaddicted herds cats with both ease and grace

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbw View Post
The books you get here are also DRM free.
What do you mean by "here"? Do you mean MobileRead? Or did you forget to add the link?
Old 09-26-2012, 07:42 PM   #10
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by NASCARaddicted View Post
What do you mean by "here"? Do you mean MobileRead? Or did you forget to add the link?
Mobileread.
Here: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/ebo...&sort=dateline
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 07:46 PM   #11
NASCARaddicted
Addict

well, thanks. Of course, I know about the ebooks from MR, but that doesn't really help me. The ebooks in here don't have a copyright (anymore) but the books that I am searching still are protected by copyright.

But thanks again for posting the link.
Old 09-27-2012, 05:24 AM   #12
TheSFReader
Groupie
TheSFReader is just really niceTheSFReader is just really niceTheSFReader is just really niceTheSFReader is just really niceTheSFReader is just really niceTheSFReader is just really niceTheSFReader is just really niceTheSFReader is just really niceTheSFReader is just really niceTheSFReader is just really niceTheSFReader is just really nice

Device: Nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
DRM is generally a *publisher* requirement, not a retailer requirement.
Most retailers sell both DRM'ed and DRM-free ebooks.
That's true. However, it seems some retailers (most big ones) don't make any effort to ease publishers "no-DRMs" choice. For example at Kobo (but I hear it's the same at Amazon), for each publisher "chanel", a chanel-wide "DRM-Selector" is used, with absolutely no per-title granularity.

In Kobo's specific case, the publisher needs to create two chanels, one with DRMs, and one without, hence enhancing the effort.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
So what you need to find out is if the publisher of that Nascar book insists it be sold with DRM. If they do, it won't matter which retailer you go for.
(And most do.)
Absolutely. Only if the publisher does NOT want DRM, will you have any chance of finding the book it legally available without them.
TheSFReader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 05:47 AM   #13
NASCARaddicted
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSFReader View Post
Absolutely. Only if the publisher does NOT want DRM, will you have any chance of finding the book it legally available without them.
I just checked and it seems as if the publisher is called "Free Press". (interesting Name)
I am not sure if that is only the publisher for the printed book or if they also publish ebooks (you should think it is the same publisher, but ... who knows ...) . I will write to them and ask about ebooks and DRM.
Old 09-27-2012, 05:53 AM   #14
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by NASCARaddicted View Post
Also, as far as I know, it is illegal to remove the DRM, at least in some countries. Is that true?
As far as I know, no-one has ever been prosecuted (publicly or privately) in any country for removing the DRM from an ebook they bought.

Whether it is illegal according the the current laws in your country another matter. Sometimes even the lawyers can't agree.

If you decide you must have this ebook, even though it is sold with DRM, you might want to google for Apprentice Alf's blog.

I do admire your principled stand. I bought only a handful of DRMed ebooks from 2003 to 2008, but the availability of DRM removal tools changed my mind.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 06:08 AM   #15
NASCARaddicted
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
As far as I know, no-one has ever been prosecuted (publicly or privately) in any country for removing the DRM from an ebook they bought.

Whether it is illegal according the the current laws in your country another matter. Sometimes even the lawyers can't agree.

If you decide you must have this ebook, even though it is sold with DRM, you might want to google for Apprentice Alf's blog.

I do admire your principled stand. I bought only a handful of DRMed ebooks from 2003 to 2008, but the availability of DRM removal tools changed my mind.
Thanks pdurrant, you helped me a lot.

I want this ebook (and some others, too) for my own personal use. I don't want to give them away, so basically, once I bought the ebooks, no one would know what I do with them.

Oh, but I what I wanted to add (to my own post a little earlier): It seems as if Free Press is related to Simon & Schuster. I don't know them, but as far as I know, they are big in the USA, right? Maybe I should write to Simon & Schuster, too