Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 09-22-2015, 12:58 PM   #1
abbs2011
abbs2011 began at the beginning.

Device: kobo N647B
kobo mini won’t boot up

Hi, I have a kobo mini that won’t boot up the image installed seem to be corrupted; when power button is pressed LED flashes green / Blue /Green, then nothing happens.
Does anyone have a working image to spare please?

Thank you in advance
abbs2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 02:00 AM   #2
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
What is showing on the screen at the moment?

Have you done a full charge and paperclip reset? You will need to remove the back cover, which just pops off.

If a simple paperclip reset does nothing, hold the power button for 20 seconds to ensure the device is off (regardless of what is showing on the screen), then press and hold the paperclip in the back and while holding it turn the device on.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-23-2015, 08:32 AM   #3
abbs2011

Hi, thank you for your response, I have tried the reset pinhole before without success and I have removed the back covers and got the sd card out I took a backup then formatted the sd card and burnt a kobo mini image to it but that did not help, the only time the device shows any sign of life is when I use the image that came with it but that image is damaged.
Old 09-23-2015, 08:50 AM   #4
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abbs2011 View Post
Hi, thank you for your response, I have tried the reset pinhole before without success and I have removed the back covers and got the sd card out I took a backup then formatted the sd card and burnt a kobo mini image to it but that did not help, the only time the device shows any sign of life is when I use the image that came with it but that image is damaged.
You haven't said what is showing on the screen - do you have a photo?

Have you tried a different SD card inside with the correct Mini-appropriate image burned to it? (davidfor is the go-to person for that)

What was happening before the device broke? Did you apply any sideloaded firmware updates/hacks/tweaks?
Old 09-23-2015, 08:58 AM   #5
abbs2011

Nothing shows on the screen because it does not turn on, when I use the image that was in burnt to the original sd card and try to turn on the device the LED blinks green /Blue/Green then nothing happens, I have tried three different sd cards with no success.
Advert
Old 09-23-2015, 09:11 AM   #6
meeera
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by abbs2011 View Post
Nothing shows on the screen because it does not turn on
The screen should be showing whatever it was last showing before whateveritwasthathappened happened to it. (The off and sleep screens show the most recent book cover, and eink doesn't take any power to maintain an image on a screen). So is it completely blank? Black or white? Any lines on it?

Again because this was an edit and you may have missed it - What was happening before the device broke? Did you apply any sideloaded firmware updates/hacks/tweaks?
Old 09-23-2015, 09:46 AM   #7
abbs2011

This device came to me as it is that’s why my answers are limited, I need to find the right firmware for it to see if it can be saved, when connected to pc connecting sound can be heard, there is sort of an image on the screen, it looks like a broken image that might indicate that the screen could be broken too.
Old 09-23-2015, 04:10 PM   #8
filmo
Wizard
filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Sony T1, Kobo Mini
Post picture of screen following fourm rules for max file size. Only then can we tell if is damaged. It would be thin glass behind eink screen layer that is cracked.
filmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 06:43 PM   #9
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Yep, post a pic to confirm, but from your description I'd put money on the screen substrate being broken.
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 06:58 PM   #10
abbs2011

This is the photo of it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	x5nEnEA.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	288.9 KB
ID:	142265  

Last edited by WT Sharpe; 09-24-2015 at 04:30 PM. Reason: Oversized graphic changed to thumbnail attachment.
Old 09-23-2015, 07:17 PM   #11
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
You're told to follow forum guidelines for image posting. Did you even look to see what they are?

Hint: Guidelines

Quote:
9. Avatars, Images and Signatures

General posting guidelines also apply to avatars, images and signatures.

Animated avatars are discouraged but permitted. Excessively flashy or annoying animated avatars may be deleted.

Images included in posts must be no more than 600x600 pixels. Individual forum sections, including the Self-Promotions forum, may require smaller images. Please read the Promotion Posting Guidelines for specific information. You may use a picture as a link to a larger picture elsewhere.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 07:30 PM   #12
filmo
Wizard
filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Sony T1, Kobo Mini
Yes, it has a broken, substrate ! Classic look making easy to say definitely.
filmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 10:25 PM   #13
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Looking at the bezel, it does look like user abuse.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 12:30 AM   #14
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Looking at the bezel, it does look like user abuse.
The bezel on the Glo is easily marked, so I don't think it really user abuse. But, it does look like something hit the screen.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 02:58 AM   #15
meeera
Grand Sorcerer

It's very obviously a smashed screen, which is why the FIRST thing I asked you was " What is showing on the screen at the moment?"?

If you'd answered that when I asked it, instead of sidestepping the question repeatedly, we could have all saved ourselves some trouble.

If you paid for it, I suggest asking for your money back.