Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 09-24-2010, 12:52 AM   #61
Rothbardian
Rothbardian began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Strnad View Post
Go-to-page has suddenly become very important to me as I'm replacing my Kobo and I'm 200+ pages into a 700+ page book. Don't want to press that button two hundred times to get there!
Grab the ChapterIDBookmarked, ParagraphBookmarked and BookmarkWordOffset values out of the content table in the database on the old reader, and write them on the new one...
Rothbardian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 01:17 AM   #62
Ghoda
Enthusiast
Ghoda is on a distinguished road

Device: Kobo, Kobo for iPhone, Aluratek Libre
Quote:
Originally Posted by masona8 View Post
The ability to go to a particular page would be very helpful. Especially in those books that are used as reference material

If you have a book of around 500 pages and want to go to a particular part - what can you do at present but scroll at a tad under 3 seconds a page
I know this is by no means a fix of any sort but if you have powerful nintendo thumb you can wail on the next page button and get it to jump up to 10 pages per screen redraw
Ghoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-24-2010, 09:57 AM   #63
HamsterRage
Evangelist
HamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notes

Quote:
Originally Posted by SameerH View Post
Releasing often is definitely the ideal. I personally would love to deliver small bunches of goodies to you guys at regular intervals. Couple of things stand in the way:

1. Firmware is a different game than, say, an iphone app. We have to be extra careful, which adds time.

2. We have to work on multiple projects sometimes, so that adds time.
Less features per release means less Sprints per release which means more frequent releases.
HamsterRage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 09:35 PM   #64
J. Strnad
Guru
J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo, Kindle 3, Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rothbardian View Post
Grab the ChapterIDBookmarked, ParagraphBookmarked and BookmarkWordOffset values out of the content table in the database on the old reader, and write them on the new one...
Yeah, I was just about to do that. Except that I have absolutely no idea what in the hell you're talking about.

Thanks, though!
J. Strnad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 09:11 PM   #65
digital_steve
Muppet
digital_steve has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.digital_steve has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.digital_steve has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.digital_steve has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.digital_steve has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Sony PRS-650
What's the bet we don't see a firmware release and see the new KOBO released instead
digital_steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-27-2010, 06:07 AM   #66
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
I think we will see both--with the things that can be released and used on our Kobo available to us and other things that won't be because of the hardware features on the new machines.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 06:29 PM   #67
digital_steve
Muppet
digital_steve has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.digital_steve has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.digital_steve has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.digital_steve has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.digital_steve has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Sony PRS-650
^ i bloody hope so!
digital_steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 11:29 AM   #68
Pookeysgirl
Wizard
Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by SameerH View Post
I've heard Amazon has whole buildings/labs dedicated to the Kindle.

A little before we launched we barely had a desk dedicated to the Kobo eReader.

Me and a large part of the Kobo eReader team shared a pod designed to fit 4 people, we fit 6 people in there, plus me with all my boxes of prototypes and beta units, there was barely any room to even put my laptop down much less have a decent work station.

We've come a long way since then, each of us has our own desk now.. although no more pods, it's all open concept.

Re: the firmware update. There is another one coming "soon" and will address a couple of issues that people have.. ah.. voiced concern.. about, but it's primarily to deliver some key new features.

I can't say exactly when though (yet), you know how it is.

Any news Sameer? Or is Digital Steve correct and we won't see a firmware release before the new kobo release?
Pookeysgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 05:03 PM   #69
baronrus
Addict
baronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with others

Device: KO, KW, and KT
Sameer?? time for an update

I second that can you offer us any news on a new eta for 1.5?
baronrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 06:05 PM   #70
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
whoops, wrong thread.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 07:32 PM   #71
leighisme
Connoisseur
leighisme began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch, iPhone 4, iPad2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pookeysgirl View Post
Any news Sameer? Or is Digital Steve correct and we won't see a firmware release before the new kobo release?
People on Facebook have mentioned emails received from Kobo that mention new firmware when the new Kobo comes out, or shortly after.
leighisme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 11:36 PM   #72
sabredog
Geographically Restricted
sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Kindle Voyage, iPad Air2, Nexus7v2
Must be soon I would think.

Any ideas from our resident Kobo reps so as to let us all know what the new firmware will offer to us?
sabredog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 10:46 AM   #73
zoran
himself
zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabredog View Post
Any ideas from our resident Kobo reps so as to let us all know what the new firmware will offer to us?
Wifi management.
zoran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 11:42 PM   #74
mreclass
Enthusiast
mreclass began at the beginning.

1. Go-To-Page Function
  2. Remove book(s) from "I'm Reading" Option
  3. Faster power up time

mreclass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 11:03 PM   #75
brownieboy
brownieboy began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo (original)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mreclass View Post
  1. Go-To-Page Function
  2. Remove book(s) from "I'm Reading" Option
  3. Faster power up time

You can remove books from the "I'm Reading" section with Calibre. It would be nice to have this ability on the Kobo itself though.
brownieboy is offline   Reply With Quote